NRL NRL set for massive payday in historic Foxtel, Nine broadcast deal and Pete's other ideas

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Believe it or not.

The cash-strapped NRL is just days away from securing a stunning new TV broadcast deal worth up to $2.3 billion, the richest in Australia’s sporting history.
The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Channel 9 and Fox Sports are on the verge of agreeing to a lucrative seven-year contract that will lift rugby league from a financial scrapheap, safeguard the game’s long-term viability and guarantee the survival of all 16 clubs.

Independent commission chairman Peter V’landys is hoping to reach an agreement in principal by Friday for the remaining three years of the current contract plus a four-season extension until 2027.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Maybe because people expect the AFL deal to shrink a bit in the current climate making it less valuable than it was? This could be a pretty big moment for a code where the bulk of its support is in 2 states.

Last edited:
Any word on a revised schedule or when they may announce one?

The NRL draw is set to be revealed on Friday - but only the first two rounds.

The Daily Telegraph reports that the draw will be made public, with the rest of the fixture list to be agreed over the following week.

The Roosters-Rabbitohs rivalry has been tipped to kick off the relaunched season.

Monday night football, meanwhile, will not return, Peter V’landys told the Telegraph.

Tough start for the Eels, would love a repeat of the last time we played the Broncos, unfortunately its in QLD so there is a chance of a complete scoreline reversal.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Tough start for the Eels, would love a repeat of the last time we played the Broncos, unfortunately its in QLD so there is a chance of a complete scoreline reversal.
I wouldn’t be so negative. Parra usually go alright at Suncorp. I went to a game at Suncorp on a Thursday night several years ago and Parra racked up 50 points. You’ve had some wins and close losses there over the years.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Didn't expect a record deal for them, but perhaps it makes sense if they are predicting more viewers due to less people able to attend live, and also people more desperate for live sport given most people are at home.

From what I can tell there's nothing record and the deal isn't finished.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Didn't expect a record deal for them, but perhaps it makes sense if they are predicting more viewers due to less people able to attend live, and also people more desperate for live sport given most people are at home.

Beyond that, though, (and maybe it's not so bad in Australia; I don't know) is the issue that with economies on the slide, and people not spending, advertising revenues fall big-time.

Back