Local NSW/ACT Womens Footy - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
http://aflnswact.com.au/womens-afl-north-west-nsw/

AFL North West will launch the inaugural Women’s competition in the region this weekend, with four teams set to compete in the new tournament.

The Greater Bank AFLNW Women’s Competition will see Armidale, Inverell, Moree, and Tamworth fielding women’s teams for the first time

Moree only entered a mens team a couple of years ago, so pretty good to get a womens team up and running.

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Following on from Wookies posting above this article highlights where Womens Footy in NSW draws its rep teams from.
The 12 team Newcastle Comp has supplied no less than 6 players.

http://aflnswact.com.au/2017-afl-nswact-youth-girls-squad-announced/

It is interesting, Newcastle has a very long history of footy, but only for small snippets of that has it been really sound, women's and girls footy has really taken off against what has generally been a lack of interest coupled with at times hostility.

FWIU Newcastle city has provided 2 womens teams and also 3 mens ( one in each division) and has by far the biggest junior base, i think the Black Diamond league is hoping the second women's team provides impetus for a new club around Newcastle, which would also be a first.

I wonder if anyone could have foreseen a new club ( mens. womens and juniors ) driven by a womens team.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
It is interesting, Newcastle has a very long history of footy, but only for small snippets of that has it been really sound, women's and girls footy has really taken off against what has generally been a lack of interest coupled with at times hostility.

FWIU Newcastle city has provided 2 womens teams and also 3 mens ( one in each division) and has by far the biggest junior base, i think the Black Diamond league is hoping the second women's team provides impetus for a new club around Newcastle, which would also be a first.

I wonder if anyone could have foreseen a new club ( mens. womens and juniors ) driven by a womens team.
This is confusing.
Youth Girls is u18 -since when did the BDFL & Wagga District have a Youth Girls comp.?

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is confusing.
Youth Girls is u18 -since when did the BDFL & Wagga District have a Youth Girls comp.?

I would have thought that under 18's girls if they are 16,17 or even 18 depending on the cut off date have been playing open womens, Newcastle juniors has a under 16's girls and under 12 girls.

Wagga may have a few girls playing for the Riverina Lions that maybe of age, not really sure though.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
It hasn't taken long for the influence of AFL Women's inaugural season in the ACT, with AFL Canberra's junior participation numbers going through the roof to their highest levels in more than 30 years.

This season, which was launched on Wednesday, they'll have 125 junior teams - the first time they've had that many since 1984.
The growth was largely on the back of the highly successful AFL Women's, which kicked off earlier this year and was an outstanding success in terms of crowds and television ratings.

There will be 13 more junior girls teams, with two new age groups created - under-10s and under-12s.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...ck-of-afl-womens-success-20170419-gvnsyo.html

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
It hasn't taken long for the influence of AFL Women's inaugural season in the ACT, with AFL Canberra's junior participation numbers going through the roof to their highest levels in more than 30 years.

This season, which was launched on Wednesday, they'll have 125 junior teams - the first time they've had that many since 1984.
The growth was largely on the back of the highly successful AFL Women's, which kicked off earlier this year and was an outstanding success in terms of crowds and television ratings.

There will be 13 more junior girls teams, with two new age groups created - under-10s and under-12s.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...ck-of-afl-womens-success-20170419-gvnsyo.html

!984 is a long time ago now, i had played junior football in Canberra in previous years to that where it was arguably at junior level the biggest participation game around considering the smaller population and only boys played.

Soccer at junior level was quite small from my memory, there was no big British ex pat community like there was in Adelaide and Perth to push the game along and generally the sons of Post WW2 immigrants ( Italians, Greeks Croats etc ) did not seem to be huge soccer fans.

Of course now at junior level soccer is very big in Canberra and the demographics have probably changed significantly.

I also noted that this year Marist JFC in Canberra has 13 boys teams which must be some sort of record.

Good to see footy in Canberra making some sort of comeback and working on a rough guide Canberra has just a few less junior teams than the GWS juniors this year that has grown to 140 or so this year.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
!984 is a long time ago now, i had played junior football in Canberra in previous years to that where it was arguably at junior level the biggest participation game around considering the smaller population and only boys played.

Soccer at junior level was quite small from my memory, there was no big British ex pat community like there was in Adelaide and Perth to push the game along and generally the sons of Post WW2 immigrants ( Italians, Greeks Croats etc ) did not seem to be huge soccer fans.

Of course now at junior level soccer is very big in Canberra and the demographics have probably changed significantly.

I also noted that this year Marist JFC in Canberra has 13 boys teams which must be some sort of record.

Good to see footy in Canberra making some sort of comeback and working on a rough guide Canberra has just a few less junior teams than the GWS juniors this year that has grown to 140 or so this year.
I went to a large Melb. school in the 70's -with many boys from an Italian, Greek, Polish, or Yugoslav background.
The majority seemed to be interested in soccer, probably c. 20% played it. I recall Juventus & Olympiakos being discussed. Soccer wasn't seen as "cool"by many, though. Except for boys from an Italian background (10%?), virtually none of the others played comp. AF.

I think the growth in Canberra in male GR AF is much more due to the strong GWS presence -4 games pa, the Academy, clinics, school visits, more media coverage etc.
The highly paid VFL/AFL geniuses surrendered AF primacy in Canberra to the NRL from c.1990 (& after intro. of Raiders).

Anyone know if private school RU in Canberra is experiencing a decline in regd. XV nos. (similar to Syd. & Brisbane private schools)?

The AFLW has, obviously, given a huge boost to female AF participation around Australia -& this was only year 1!And the AFLW will gradually grow to 18 teams in c.10 years -it really is a juggernaut, no hyperbole.

Last edited:

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I went to a large Melb. school in the 70's -with many boys from an Italian, Greek, Polish, or Yugoslav background.
The majority seemed to be interested in soccer, probably c. 20% played it. I recall Juventus & Olympiakos being discussed. Soccer wasn't seen as "cool"by many, though. Except for boys from an Italian background (10%?), virtually none of the others played comp. AF.

I think the growth in Canberra in male GR AF is much more due to the strong GWS presence -4 games pa, the Academy, clinics, school visits, more media coverage etc.
The highly paid VFL/AFL geniuses surrendered AF primacy in Canberra to the NRL from c.1990 (& after intro. of Raiders).

Anyone know if private school RU in Canberra is experiencing a decline in regd. XV nos. (similar to Syd. & Brisbane private schools)?

The AFLW has, obviously, given a huge boost to female AF participation around Australia -& this was only year 1!And the AFLW will gradually grow to 18 teams in c.10 years -it really is a juggernaut, no hyperbole.

I went to large boys catholic school in Canberra that at the time was considered a rugby school, 70's-80's) although it also had a very strong AF influence.

Soccer was just not played, Perhaps the kids of post WW2 immigrants ( Southern European) were just not big enough numbers to make a dent in the traditional codes in Canberra, although there seemed to be plenty of Italian kids etc

I actually remember no one at school had a soccer ball, because at one stage people would crush cans down to use as s soccer ball.

The strength of football was in the catholic schools, public school kids played in reasonable numbers but IME played RL as much.

I can't say whether RU numbers are up or down and could only guesstimate using sporting pulse if previous team numbers are kept from previous years, the strength of RU is also through Catholic schools in particular St Edmunds, which out of the 3 big catholic boys schools is considered the elite.

Private schools in Canberra are a much more middle class affair than in Sydney where private schools are very expensive.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
More good news for Womens footy in NSW. The Sapphire AFL in southern NSW has expanded its Womens comp this year to 8 teams from 6 in their league which started last year.
The momentum for the Womens game continues to roll along.
http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=0-2304-0-0-0&sID=345182

All this new development is going to lift the National percentage of Women involved in our game above the current 30%.
We can see the National Men and Womens total participation figure heading for 1,500,000 in a couple of years.

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
More good news for Womens footy in NSW. The Sapphire AFL in southern NSW has expanded its Womens comp this year to 8 teams from 6 in their league which started last year.

All this new development is going to lift the National percentage of Women involved in our game above the current 30%.
We can see the National Men and Womens total participation figure heading for 1,500,000 in a couple of years.

If anyone ever gets a chance, get down to Bermagui, great spot.

Off the highway tiny fishing town/retirement village that manages to year after year put a decent men's and junior teams on the paddock and now it appears womens.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS

Good find!
I'm very confident the 2017 AF regd. nos. will surpass 1,500,000 (now c.1,400,000).

Female AF is booming in Qld., and doing well in NSW. Everywhere, except where AF is the strongest code: Sthn. NSW! No female teams!
Only teams Riverina Lions, some Youth Girls from Albury.
The mystery continues.

I love the name "Eden Whalers"FC.

Yes, the Sapphire Coast is a beautiful part of Australia.

For the history buffs.
Near TwoFold Bay, near Eden, the first European settlers in this area, in the mid 19th century made an extraordinary find: a rough slab-rock 4-sided dwelling, its roof long disintegrated. It appeared to have, in a very feint outline, the numbers 1522 carved on a rock. Nowhere in Australia is there any record of Aboriginals building similar structures.

The historian/lawyer MacIntyre (the same person who, in the 30's, developed the VFL Final Four system) was a Portuguese Exploration scholar, Portuguese linguist, & mathematician and wrote one of the most underrated history books ever, IMO "The Secret Discovery of Australia" in 1977. He postulated Portuguese explorers, who settled in Timor c. 1507, visited the north, east, & south east coast of Australia in the early 1500's. He believed this was one of their dwellings.
And similarly, the legendary "ancient Mahogany Ship", half buried in the sand BEYOND (!) the high water mark, noted by the first whites in the Warrnambool area in the mid 19th century (before disappearing c.1890, lost forever, after a storm changed the shoreline), was a Portuguese caravel. It was definitely not a whaling boat, & there were no known very old British wrecks on the west Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good find!
I'm very confident the 2017 AF regd. nos. will surpass 1,500,000 (now c.1,400,000).

Female AF is booming in Qld., and doing well in NSW. Everywhere, except where AF is the strongest code: Sthn. NSW! No female teams!
Only teams Riverina Lions, some Youth Girls from Albury.
The mystery continues.

I love the name "Eden Whalers"FC.

Yes, the Sapphire Coast is a beautiful part of Australia.

For the history buffs.
Near TwoFold Bay, near Eden, the first European settlers in this area, in the mid 19th century made an extraordinary find: a rough slab-rock 4-sided dwelling, its roof long disintegrated. It appeared to have, in a very feint outline, the numbers 1522 carved on a rock. Nowhere in Australia is there any record of Aboriginals building similar structures.

The historian/lawyer MacIntyre (the same person who, in the 30's, developed the VFL Final Four system) was a Portuguese Exploration scholar, Portuguese linguist, & mathematician and wrote one of the most underrated history books ever, IMO "The Secret Discovery of Australia" in 1977. He postulated Portuguese explorers, who settled in Timor c. 1507, visited the north, east, & south east coast of Australia in the early 1500's. He believed this was one of their dwellings.
And similarly, the legendary "ancient Mahogany Ship", half buried in the sand BEYOND (!) the high water mark, noted by the first whites in the Warrnambool area in the mid 19th century (before disappearing c.1890, lost forever, after a storm changed the shoreline), was a Portuguese caravel. It was definitely not a whaling boat, & there were no known very old British wrecks on the west Coast.

Have heard about the Mahogany ship, people are still out there looking for it.

Interesting about Eden, the whalers there used Killer Whales to herd the sperm whales etc into the bay after the whalers starting throwing the cut out tongues etc to the Killer whales which would i imagine be a delicacy for them.

Never heard about twofold bay hut though, sounds like it would have been Portuguese if true.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
New Central Coast female U14 & U17 AF teams TerrigalAvoca/TEBB & Saratoga/NPO have been added to the Youth Girls comp., with female growth overall increasing in the Region.

www.aflhuntercoast.com.au/2017/05/01/central-coast-youth-girls-gala-day-wrap/

Also, an inaugral Youth Girls comp. has been created on the North Coast -with new female teams at Macleay Valley, Grafton, Pt Macquarie, & Coffs Harbour.
These will complement the already established female U11, U13, & U15.5 female teams.

An adult female comp. in 2017 is also being organised in the region, with come & try days being scheduled soon for women.

www.aflnorthcoast.com.au/2017/04/27/youth-girls-footy-game-changer/

Last edited:

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Female footy numbers heading North on the Coast

AFL North Coast has completed an historic step in their continued growth, with the first ever senior women’s match played over the weekend.

The region’s Youth Girls program has swelled in the past year, with 20 players registered in 2016, increasing to 80 registrations in 2017.

http://aflnswact.com.au/female-afl-north-coast-growth/

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The prescient quote from the AFLNSW North Coast Manager above, H Davis, that"...also the potential role that female football can play in strengthening AFL more generally across the region..." highlights the huge possible benefits that female GR AF will bring to NSW, ACT, & Qld. GR AF generally in those areas.

I suspect that future historians, in about 25 years, will judge that the creation of the AFLW (to go to c.18 teams over the next 10 years) had a major role in strengthening GR AF in NSW, ACT, & Qld.

Last edited:

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
The prescient quote from the AFLNSW North Coast Manager above, H Davis, that"...also the potential role that female football can play in strengthening AFL more generally across the region..." highlights the huge possible benefits that female GF AF will bring to NSW, ACT, & Qld. GR AF generally in those areas.

I suspect that future historians, in about 25 years, will judge that the creation of the AFLW (to go to c.18 teams over the next 10 years) had a major role in strengthening GR AF in NSW, ACT, & Qld.

Slightly off topic but a pointer to the future of the game in general is the fact that NSW/ACT in 2016 had the greatest number of Auskickers in Australia now exceeding Victoria according to the 2016 AFL Annual Report.
This did not get much publicity, but is important long term.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Slightly off topic but a pointer to the future of the game in general is the fact that NSW/ACT in 2016 had the greatest number of Auskickers in Australia now exceeding Victoria according to the 2016 AFL Annual Report.
This did not get much publicity, but is important long term.
This is quite surprising, but welcome.
I think Club-affiliated Auskick nos. would be bigger in Vic., which typically go for c.14 weeks.

NSW might have greatly increased nos. of short duration (6-8 wks) Auskick clinics in primary schools -still requiring parental payment, of course.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
This is quite surprising, but welcome.
I think Club-affiliated Auskick nos. would be bigger in Vic., which typically go for c.14 weeks.

NSW might have greatly increased nos. of short duration (6-8 wks) Auskick clinics in primary schools -still requiring parental payment, of course.
The advent of the rise of Womens footy is going to make previous participation numbers well and truly obsolete.
Lets hope they produce separate participation figures for the Women in all categories from the Seniors, Youth, down to Auskick in future AFL Annual reports, so as to give us an idea of the progress.
Noted that Jan Cooper AFLW development Manager now talking about 1000 new female teams in 2017. That is extraordinary.

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The advent of the rise of Womens footy is going to make previous participation numbers well and truly obsolete.
Lets hope they produce separate participation figures for the Women in all categories from the Seniors, Youth, down to Auskick in future AFL Annual reports, so as to give us an idea of the progress.
Noted that Jan Cooper AFLW development Manager now talking about 1000 new female teams in 2017. That is extraordinary.

Quite incredible, Amatuers in Perth havent really started adding womens teams like in other parts of the country ( VAFA), so there is plenty of growth to come.

It will put a strain on some clubs with larger amounts of senior teams and colts but other smaller clubs will really benefit from it, country clubs in particular, there is also no reason why womens comps have to be the traditional 18 a side, the beauty of new leagues etc is you can make smaller sided teams to fit with the numbers you have.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The biggest growth is in primary and secondary school girls footy. The biggest hurdle is encouraging them to play community Club -where the big majority never join (or, at least until recently).

Yes, I think the nos. have surprised everyone -should have been promoted 40 years ago, when feminist movement began to take off, many women wanted chances to be free of "stereotypes". Our glorious VFL/AFL leadership missed massive opportunities -which is not surprising, given their desultory record.

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...w/news-story/9ccd090faa786e2be77cfce5d083cfb4

In a huge boost for Aussie rules, girls participation number have jumped on the back of the inaugural AFLW season.

Figures released by AFL NSW/ACT show a 43.2 per cent increase in female participation across Sydney.

AFL NSW/ACT regional manager for Sydney Harbour Simon Wilson said the result has been years in the making, with a complete pathway formed with the implementation of the AFLW.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Female Footy Ambassadors appointed in NSW.

http://aflnswact.com.au/female-football-ambassadors/

And more news which is not recent but in April. From my memory of Sydney the Ryde area had a solid middle class population, which may explain this article.
Are we pinching kids from Rugby Union footy wise perhaps in that area, or are the children from neutral backgrounds new to sport. Lots of questions for which we need answers perhaps
Very interesting the not new usage of Synthetic Surfaces, which it appears the AFL is promoting.

http://aflnswact.com.au/u12s-girls-competition-launches-sydney/

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/s...ntroduce-landmark-female-competitions/?cs=149

A LANDMARK senior women’s Australian rules competition is set to be introduced to the Riverina early next year, under an exciting new plan unveiled by the AFL.

Following the success of the inaugural AFL women’s competition at national level earlier this year, a number of new competitions for females will be introduced to the Riverina.

AFL Southern NSW will introduce under 13 and 16s competitions, aligned to Wagga and District junior clubs, that will begin next month.

The plan then would be for a senior competition to follow early next year.

AFL Southern NSW game development manager Marc Geppert said it is exciting times for the sport.

“AFL Women’s has been massive for us down here, providing a visual pathway to show girls they can play at the top level,” Geppert said.

The Wagga and District junior girls competition will be held on Wednesday nights, starting from August 16.

The senior competition has been earmarked for February next year. It is hoped established women’s teams, Riverina Lions and Cootamundra, would be joined by new ones from existing Riverina and Farrer League clubs.

“We’ve been really mindful not to clash with our existing structures because, as everyone knows, netball is a huge part of our footy clubs,” Geppert said.

“We’re hoping to have girls that play netball, basketball and other sports being able to play AFL without having to make a choice.”

Both competitions will be held over shortened seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back