NSW Government Arseclown Mike Baird, the police state edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Play by Numbers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
All up in Jock's icecream
AFL Club
West Coast
WTF is up with NSW? Can it please never be claimed again, that the Liberals are the party of more freedom and small government.

First it was the lockout laws, then the anti-protesting laws, now the wide introduction of police control orders. The same government that has elevated the role of police minister above that of the attorney general, when it comes to law and order legislation.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/deputy-pr...-crime-prevention-powers-20160413-go5ha8.html

This is a horrifying development, handing extraordinary powers, completely at odds with the concept of a modern judicial system, into the hands of a police force that thinks illegally surveilling peoples social media accounts, then charging them, all for making low grade memes poking fun at the police is a great use of time. This whilst simultaneously banding together to bully and intimidate a member of parliament employing racist and sexist taunts and memes, just because she introduced a bill that proposes a low level wind back of police overreach re the use of sniffer dogs. A step suggested by the independent ombudsman and backed by current evidence.

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...et-up-rival-justice-system-in-nsw?CMP=soc_567

Police powers: prevention orders could set up 'rival justice system' in NSW

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...et-up-rival-justice-system-in-nsw?CMP=soc_567

New police powers that could see citizens in New South Wales face bans on their employment, restrictions on movement and curfews without ever having committed an offence would set up a “rival criminal justice system” and should be scrapped, the New South Wales Bar Association has warned.

Last edited:
Works so well in the States :drunk:. I really don't know why voters accept these sorts of things.

It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see..."

"You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?"

"No," said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, "nothing so simple. Nothing anything like so straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."

"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."

"I did," said Ford. "It is."

"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't people get rid of the lizards?"

"It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."

"You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"

"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."

"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"

"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in. Got any gin?"

"What?"

"I said," said Ford, with an increasing air of urgency creeping into his voice, "have you got any gin?"

"I'll look. Tell me about the lizards."
Ford shrugged again.

"Some people say that the lizards are the best thing that ever happenned to them," he said. "They're completely wrong of course, completely and utterly wrong, but someone's got to say it."

"But that's terrible," said Arthur.

"Listen, bud," said Ford, "if I had one Altairian dollar for every time I heard one bit of the Universe look at another bit of the Universe and say 'That's terrible' I wouldn't be sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin."

WTF is up with NSW? Can it please never be claimed again, that the Liberals are the party of more freedom and small government.

First it was the lockout laws, then the anti-protesting laws, now the wide introduction of police control orders. The same government that has elevated the role of police minister above that of the attorney general, when it comes to law and order legislation.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/deputy-pr...-crime-prevention-powers-20160413-go5ha8.html

This is a horrifying development, handing extraordinary powers, completely at odds with the concept of a modern judicial system, into the hands of a police force that thinks illegally surveilling peoples social media accounts, then charging them, all for making low grade memes poking fun at the police is a great use of time. This whilst simultaneously banding together to bully and intimidate a member of parliament employing racist and sexist taunts and memes, just because she introduced a bill that proposes a low level wind back of police overreach re the use of sniffer dogs. A step suggested by the independent ombudsman and backed by current evidence.

Campbell Newman likes this.

Plans for private prisons too:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-20/nsw-jails-private-prison-operators-ohn-morony-windsor/7261300

Works so well in the States :drunk:. I really don't know why voters accept these sorts of things.

private prisons are already in effect in NSW. parklea notable one of the most violent and poorly run prisons in the country is a private prison.

then there's anti association laws.
mandatory laws which target the poor.
restricted access to legal aid.
cohesive powers when agreeing to an a police interview if you later decide you would like to stop the interview can are a criminal offence in certain situations.
changes to bail laws that shift the onus onto the accused.
Majority verdicts and other rubbish that's been mentioned in this thread.

The Lunatics are running the asylum, its like 100+ years of the rule of law and the constitution don't mean s**t.

• Banned
Well this passed:

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...lians-from-mosques-on-gut-feeling?CMP=soc_567

To subvert the judiciary like this is exactly why the NSW libs get labeled as crypto fascists. The same bunch that gave us Abbott, I can't see how anyone can call their anti-democratic jackbootism conservative

oh its conservative alright, it's just 1870's conservative. i look forward to lord baird cracking down on those yahoo's on wireless threatening to make this colony a country, the very nerve! they should be lashed. next thing you know they'll be overturning Terra nullius, damned communists!....... wait are they a thing yet?

I haven't found an article that explains a reason for it all.

Here is a submission by the NSW Bar which points out all the ways one of the new laws is different from the UK law that it has been claimed to be based on.

I haven't found an article that explains a reason for it all.

Here is a submission by the NSW Bar which points out all the ways one of the new laws is different from the UK law that it has been claimed to be based on.

what prompted it is we have a bunch of wannabe fascists running the state.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get this ****er's popularity. Is a pretty smile and ripping off late night talk show hosts all it takes??

When will NSW realise that the current bunch of dickheads are crypto-fascists taking our state back to 1920? Never?

that's actually a large reason why people vote for them. mother*ers convinced that going backwards is the only way to move forward.
if you can stand it, try listening to talk back radio in the morning there in all its glory is your average liberal voter.
repeatedly "back in my day" "when my dad" "30 years ago" "people these days" "when i was growing up"

these are people who on one level or another want to reject the 21st century, for some imagined golden era they are convinced existed despite all evidence to the contrary.

Thought this would be worth posting. Good to see that the public aren't going to play along with Baird’s petulant tactics to try and get Liberal representation into important local councils.

http://bit.ly/2c8BsCd
Failed attempt to oust Clover pushes us closer to populism

The failure of the latest attempt to dislodge Clover Moore from the City of Sydney mayoralty illustrates how big business is driving resentment against itself.

Bernard Keane

Given Brexit, the rise of Donald Trump and our own surge in populism at the recent federal election, the big swing to Clover Moore in the Sydney local council election on Saturday appears unsurprising. Not because Moore can be equated with Trump or Pauline Hanson or even Nick Xenophon, but because in the current political climate, so toxic is big business that everything it touches turns to s**t.

The most recent iteration of the “Get Clover” laws in NSW was a truly extraordinary piece of work. The previous Labor government has tried, unsuccessfully, to dislodge her by changing the electoral boundaries of the city. But then the right in the NSW Parliament, backed by The Daily Telegraph — which has smeared Moore for over a decade — concocted an idea for a blatant gerrymander: double the number of votes that business had and punish them if they didn’t vote.

That, surely, would drive Moore out of office.

Oddly, business has always had a vote in Sydney (suggest to Americans that business be allowed to vote in the land of free enterprise and you’ll get some very strange looks). But few businesses bothered to vote, or even keep their registration up to date. So under a bill proposed in 2014 by the far-Right Shooters and Fishers Party and backed by the Baird government, business would be given a second vote and the Council would be forced to keep the business electoral register up to date. Introducing the bill, Shooters and Fishers Party MLC Robert Borsak made a point of thanking reactionary radio entertainer Alan Jones and the Telegraph and its journalist Andrew Clennell for their support.

No coherent rationale for giving business a second vote was at any stage advanced by proponents of the bill. The best Borsak could manage was “a household pays only one set of rates, which is substantially less than a business pays. Yet most households have two or more eligible voters living there; they get to have a say for the payment of only one set of rates” — on which logic high-income earners would have half a dozen votes for every vote a low-income earner has.

Big business loved the idea of the chance to force Moore out in favour of a more pro-business mayor, and lauded the changes. The Sydney Business Chamber, made up of companies like Microsoft, AMP, Transfield, NAB, Visa and Qantas, said the laws were “a win for business advocacy” and thanked the Shooters and Fishers Party.

“There’s no doubt the next City of Sydney council elections will take on a different look with a much more engaged business voice playing an active role in the result,” director Patricia Forsythe warned when the laws were passed — although the Chamber focused on the Sydney electoral roll rather than the second vote for business.

Along with the NSW Business Chamber, the SBC had the previous year complained about “red tape” making it too hard for business to keep their enrolment up to date. The fall in business participation in council elections (in 2012 just 1700 business had voted) was due to “the inefficient and ad-hoc enrolment process” by which businesses had to keep their enrolment up-to-date. Having complained about red tape, bizarrely, the chambers now backed additional red tape that required the Council to take charge of its electoral roll and employ staff to keep it constantly updated by pursuing businesses within the city about their details. And businesses would also be subject to a $70 fine if they failed to vote.

As it turned out, this effort to get rid of Moore was as successful as Labor’s original effort — and, if anything, even worse. Moore collected a 9% swing and a fourth term. What next from Mike Baird’s government and the Sydney business community – three votes for business? Four? An increase until the electorate gets it right and votes in a Liberal mayor?

No wonder Moore collected a swing in response to a conservative-business ploy to gerrymander an election result. It perfectly plays to community perceptions that big business is contemptuous of democracy and encourages its preferred politicians to change the rules to deliver what it wants. This perception of high-handedness and an unwillingness to play by the same rules as the rest of the community is part of what is driving such widespread resistance to liberal economics. And the business community and their political allies are now fighting among themselves about whether to double down with the aggressive pro-market ideology or withdraw from political debate.

Without a change in approach from the business community, populism isn’t going to go away. There’ll be more Clover Moores and more Nick Xenophons — even more Pauline Hansons — while business encourages the perception that, rather than participate in debate on the same basis as everyone else, it’s one rule for them and a different rule for the rest of Australia.

On SM-A300Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back