NSW NSW Government in turmoil

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Before the by-election two days ago, the Coalition held the seat of Orange on a 21.7% margin (very safe). Now they've probably lost it to the Shooters, Fishers and Farmers party, and the Deputy Premier is finished.

New South Wales Deputy Premier Troy Grant has announced he will stand down as leader of the Nationals.

Education minister Adrian Piccoli has followed suit and announced he would be stepping down as deputy leader of the NSW National party.

Mr Grant was facing a partyroom leadership spill tomorrow in the wake of a poor result in the Orange by-election at the weekend.

The party is expected to lose the once-safe Nationals seat to the Shooters, Fishers and Farmers party.

Mr Grant said in a statement that as a result of the by-election, he had informed the NSW Nationals leadership team that he would be standing down at tomorrow's partyroom meeting.

He said it had been a incredible privilege to serve in the role and lead a team whose sole focus was to serve the people of regional NSW.

"At all times I have been guided by my principles of honesty, integrity and hard work, but I accept the result in Orange is a clear message that we haven't always got it right, nor have we always taken the community with us," the statement said.

"I hope that through my actions the NSW Government is given the opportunity to pause and reset the way it is seen to be governing and our record of delivery can once more be front and centre."

When the Nationals partyroom meets tomorrow, the leadership positions are expected to be declared vacant.

Skills Minister John Barilaro is expected to nominate for the leadership, but it is not yet known if he will face other challengers.

Premier Mike Baird paid tribute to Mr Grant's work in regional NSW.

"Troy Grant has made an enormous contribution to regional NSW, and I am sure he will continue to do so," Mr Baird said in a statement.

"As Deputy Premier and Leader of the Nationals, Troy has been a courageous and passionate advocate for regional NSW.

"Troy is a man of great integrity and it has been an honour to lead this Government together."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-...y-grant-to-resign-as-nationals-leader/8023410

Hardly in turmoil, unemployment at 4.9%, building $74 billion worth of infrastructure over the next four years, eliminated net debt, AAA credit rating, latest economic update points to a $4 billion budget surplus.

Yes they've got some decisions wrong; however they've reversed greyhounds and the lock out laws have been loosened as per the Callinan Report.

Plus they're up against a very ordinary opposition.

I can't get my head around what's happening FEDERALLY let alone here.

ALP has shifted as far right as i can remember it ( in my years of noticing ) - They've shat my bed at least.
God knows what you call the Libs now , a PM who is apparently a moderate being dragged by his neck by a pack of smirking petulant adolescents as far right as they please ( all while whingeing it's not far enough :rolleyes: )

If Di Natale's talking about things then i don't see it or he gets dismissed ( usually labelled , you know , labelling like the lackers are now sooking about - fancy that , the perennial finger-pointers up in arms over the very thing they're the worst " sinners " for.....:rolleyes: )

Bairds been impotent since Abbott went ( thank * they announced lots of cool s**t for us to pay for the privilege of driving on before he got knifed !!! )

Foley gets the occasional soundbite on ch10 and 7 , can't comment on Nein - * those kents

Is Fascism sticking it's grubby little head up from out of the hole it belongs in ?? - No doubt , but that's why we have history books , to know when to draw that line in the sand :thumbsu:

God knows what you call the Libs now , a PM who is apparently a moderate being dragged by his neck by a pack of smirking petulant adolescents as far right as they please ( all while whingeing it's not far enough :rolleyes: )

Hang on isn't the meme du jour that they are massive spenders?

The ALP aren't 'left' anywhere, and haven't really ever been in living memory. Especially the nsw alp.

All the while the third party vote just keeps on climbing. There is hope.

That's the reality.

People just aren't going to vote for the major parties. They're both a joke.

It'll just take some time to take effect.

Ive only just been to Sydney and to say the CBD is a disgrace with the state of the light rail project is an understatement, now this!

Shakes head!

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...t/news-story/50bbbf85bfc0a042a6ae7fbb4876f140

New $1.2bn blowout for NSW light-rail project

Light rail roadworks on the corner of George Street and Martin Place, where work is only half finished. Picture: Christian Gilles

• 5bcf05474f86ed11782a5560601a47f3
Australia’s biggest light-rail project, from Sydney’s CBD to the eastern suburbs, is in disarray amid demands from its Spanish subcontractors for an extra $1.2 billion and NSW government accusations of a construction go-slow that could delay completion beyond next year.

The demand from Acciona — made through its lawyers and on top of a $500 million blowout already agreed to by the state government — threatens to more than double the original $1.6bn cost of the project linking the city to Randwick.

The latest demand sparked a furious response from NSW Transport Minister Andrew Constance and is headed for a showdown in the NSW Supreme Court next Friday. Acciona’s lawyers claim the government misled the contractor on how many utility lines would have to be moved during construction and the complexity of the work.

The NSW government is furious over reports Acciona has gone on a go-slow, with about 100 people working on the project each day when several hundred should be doing so. As many workers are being deployed daily on the 12km track as are being deployed on the 2.7km light-rail line being built in Newcastle.

State governments around the nation have embarked on a wave of urban transport projects, including the $11bn Melbourne Metro project, Brisbane’s $5.4bn Cross River Rail and Canberra’s light-rail line.

Government sources yesterday suggested the stoush could cause a delay in the project, particularly if the dispute sent the consortium building the line into administration. Work in the CBD has crippled traders on George Street and disrupted traffic to venues such as the SCG and Randwick racecourse.

For the week ending March 22, a progress report showed the project moved only 0.4 per cent forward. This compared with periods last year when 3 to 5 per cent of the project was being built each week.

And more;

http://www.news.com.au/technology/i...s/news-story/5a9507b0986bba221a6123db5c86d890

Sydney light rail extension a ‘horror story’ of missed deadlines and billion cost overruns
THE debacle over Sydney’s transport system is a “horror story”, with cost overruns in the billions and work in some places a year late.

THERE is one scene that sums up the increasing debacle which is Sydney’s multi-billion dollar new tram system. It can be found in a quiet backstreet away from the hubbub of the city’s CBD.

Devonshire Street in Surry Hills, flanked by housing commission flats and historic terraces, was once little more than a residential thoroughfare. Now it’s a construction zone.

Almost its entire length is blocked off for building of the light rail project that will eventually connect the train-deprived eastern suburbs to the city’s heart.

But it shouldn’t be out of bounds at all. Because the work should have been completed by now, ready for the first tram to carry passengers in exactly one year’s time — next April.

Yet, at Devonshire St’s highest point, track hasn’t even been installed. What there is of the uncompleted tram tracks simply stop in the middle of the road. It’s a tram line to nowhere.

Of the 24km of line that needs to be installed, just 63 per cent is in place.

27a26a34393d1fa296c870225d7a9b5d

The artist’s impression of Sydney’s new light rail line ...Source:Supplied

89bcf21b85533a97cf5646e40c00521d

... the reality of Sydney’s new light rail line where work is years behind schedule.Source:Supplied

CATASTROPHIC FAILURE

Angela Vithoulkas, a City of Sydney councillor and small business owner whose cafe has been directly affected by the light rail works is livid.

Ms Vithoulkas told news.com.au the construction work has been a “horror story” and a “blame game” is underway between the government and the builders.

“They’re already two years behind schedule in my (area) and when people ask me when it will be finished I have one reply: ‘never’,” she said.

NSW Opposition Leader Luke Foley, who has always been opposed to the light rail extension, said the project was now a “catastrophic failure”.

Without the tracks, the overhead wires can’t be strung or the stops built, let alone the trams be tested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gladys' proposal to knock down both Allianz AND anz stadium has been a clanger of monumental proportions.
So many other things they could spend the coin on here before even looking at the stadiums.
No ones going to the NRL anymore as it is.

How about building some affordable housing ??....oh that won't fly , can't have the plebs too comfy

Is Fascism sticking it's grubby little head up from out of the hole it belongs in ?? - No doubt , but that's why we have history books , to know when to draw that line in the sand :thumbsu:

lol. Who is advocating corporatism? Last such instance of that was probably the Accord.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back