Current NT Police Officer charged with the murder of indigenous person

Remove this Banner Ad

Rob R

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Rolfe was doing his job. World is a better place without that other piece of sh*t. Hopefully this is recognised in court.
Hard to see how this has gotten to trial given it isnt even contested that he was a violent armed felon who threatened police and injured one of them. Clearly a witch hunt to appease protestors and distract from the sad truth that he ultimately died because of his own violent behaviour and that the criminal element in the community drove away medical support earlier.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kwality

Hall of Famer
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Hard to see how this has gotten to trial given it isnt even contested that he was a violent armed felon who threatened police and injured one of them. Clearly a witch hunt to appease protestors and distract from the sad truth that he ultimately died because of his own violent behaviour and that the criminal element in the community drove away medical support earlier.

100% optics (sorry Gil). Getting off 3 shots is the only questionable issue & in the circumstances appears understandable.

X_box_X

King of September
Mar 15, 2001
DogLands
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea
If he'd only fired one shot and he or a fellow Police officer were stabbed and received serious injuries, I daresay the Police would have been extensively questioned and hung out to dry in relation to why they didn't shoot to eliminate the threat, as they're trained to do.

This case is full of politics and it makes me sick to my stomach.

sprockets

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
If he'd only fired one shot and he or a fellow Police officer were stabbed and received serious injuries, I daresay the Police would have been extensively questioned and hung out to dry in relation to why they didn't shoot to eliminate the threat, as they're trained to do.

This case is full of politics and it makes me sick to my stomach.
Yep, there's nothing wrong with him firing 3 shots. Check out some videos on YouTube and you'll rarely see less than that fired with some instances of dozens being fired by multiple police. It's about stopping the threat immediately and sometimes just one shot won't do it.

Kwality

Hall of Famer
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
High Court delays murder trial of NT police officer Zachary Rolfe

latinoheat

Club Legend
Sep 8, 2008
argentina
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hard hitting special on channel seven tonight.

Those responsible for having Rolfe charged and treated the way he was should be charged with disgraceful conduct causing public outrage.
Don’t think he had any other choice unfortunately. Split second decision. US expert also says that in his view it wasn’t murder .

Rob R

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Those responsible for having Rolfe charged and treated the way he was should be charged with disgraceful conduct causing public outrage.
Hopefully there will be some way he cam get compensation and the NT pollies and senior cops responsible for this politically driven witch hunt can be dealt with.

Kane McGoodwin

TheBrownDog
May 21, 2001
Floating around the Universe
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows

Going to be interesting to see if it comes out about a meeting between the Chief Minister, Police Minister & Chief of Police in between when Rolfe was cleared & then a few days later charged. Appears they have over-stepped their power, over-ruling the original process/outcome. Not great for natural justice... & not helped by Gunner's comments to the Aboriginal community that there would be consequences from the shooting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jason_recliner

Senior List
Dec 9, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
I feel really sorry for this guy. Those communities are awful places, policing them would be an awful, thankless job, and he's out there risking his safety every day probably with minimal support. He shoots a some violent POS druggie dead, and now he's facing murder charges? FFS. Who would want that job if this is how we treat our LEOs?

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I feel really sorry for this guy. Those communities are awful places, policing them would be an awful, thankless job, and he's out there risking his safety every day probably with minimal support. He shoots a some violent POS druggie dead, and now he's facing murder charges? FFS. Who would want that job if this is how we treat our LEOs?
This is where I go back to the earlier point I was trying to make, that there might be an issue with command/training in how he ended up in this position.

sprockets

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
This is where I go back to the earlier point I was trying to make, that there might be an issue with command/training in how he ended up in this position.
He ended up in that position because the crim stabbed him in the shoulder. Now, how he came to be stabbed in the shoulder is the real question and I suspect it's because cops have to be stabbed or killed before they can take action to stop the offender, because all the do-gooders scream police brutality and death in custody otherwise. But now we see that even when they're stabbed they're in the wrong.

Unless the details as reported are incorrect I can't see how he won't get off. The case seems political to me.

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He ended up in that position because the crim stabbed him in the shoulder. Now, how he came to be stabbed in the shoulder is the real question and I suspect it's because cops have to be stabbed or killed before they can take action to stop the offender, because all the do-gooders scream police brutality and death in custody otherwise. But now we see that even when they're stabbed they're in the wrong.

Unless the details as reported are incorrect I can't see how he won't get off. The case seems political to me.
Yes i understand that someone was shot because they stabbed a cop, I'm not arguing with this. Nor am I arguing it was a case of overkill, he shot as he was trained to do and I'm pretty sure he's going to get off.

How he came to be in the position of where he got stabbed in the first place, is my question. I also remember after a spate of police shootings in Victoria, the entire force had to be retrained.

sprockets

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Yes i understand that someone was shot because they stabbed a cop, I'm not arguing with this. Nor am I arguing it was a case of overkill, he shot as he was trained to do and I'm pretty sure he's going to get off.

How he came to be in the position of where he got stabbed in the first place, is my question. I also remember after a spate of police shootings in Victoria, the entire force had to be retrained.
It's pretty simple - they went there to arrest the guy and he grabbed some scissors and stabbed the cop. How else could it be handled, wait outside for a week before he cuffs himself and walks out of the house? Send in the TRG for what should have been a simple arrest?

1. The crim shouldn't have been a crim in the first place
2. He shouldn't have breached his bail
3. He should have answered the door and walked with the cops to their car
4. He should have accepted that he was being arrested and walked out of the house with the cops
5. He should have put his hands behind his back when told to do so
6. He shouldn't have lunged at the cop and stabbed him

Seems to me that if he'd made a different decision for any one of the above he'd be alive now. So how else could it have been handled?

Last edited:

jason_recliner

Senior List
Dec 9, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
It's pretty simple - they went there to arrest the guy and he grabbed some scissors and stabbed the cop. How else could it be handled, wait outside for a week before he cuffs himself and walks out of the house? Send in the TRG for what should have been a simple arrest?
That's what I meant by having little support. The location is so remote that police (and any workers really) probably need to be more or less self-sufficient.

sprockets

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
For a violent offender who'd previously brandished an axe at the police? Maybe a yes.
If you're brandishing axes and stabbing cops you'll usually end up dead and that's not because of the cops.

EDIT: Apologies, I forgot I only posted part of that spiel before replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad