NT Team in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

thirds captain

I once spoke to the league coach in 2011.
Feb 2, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Beer, Pies
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-06/territory-explores-potential-bid-for-afl-team

Well this is certainly an interesting topic, the Northern Territory Government in conversations with the AFL about the inclusion of a team up there. I must admit this would be very hard to achieve due to the following reasons.

- Would have to play the majority of their games at night time to avoid the heat.
- Their stadium (which i presume would be TIO in Darwin) only holds 14,000, but does have plenty of room surrounding to increase capacity.
- Lack of Corporate and Sponsorship Opportunities
- The Population is quite small and sparce across the state

I still believe that Tasmania must be represented well before the NT is but i cant see either of these things occuring in near future.

nlKdU8xi_400x400.jpeg

Build a roof and turn the air cond on. Whatever, crowds are dropping anyway.

It makes sense to have an odd-number of teams in a comp, more games played per year, more promotions, without affecting the season of an individual team.

Who does Tassie have to **** to get a football team?

The best thing Tassie can possibly do is get into bed with another bid (such as this one) and make a joint application.

A 19th team in Tassie offers the AFL little in an economic sense. But two more teams equals a 10th game each week, when means TV $$$ - the AFL’s no. 1 priority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Build a roof and turn the air cond on. Whatever, crowds are dropping anyway.

It makes sense to have an odd-number of teams in a comp, more games played per year, more promotions, without affecting the season of an individual team.
Even if logistically and financially possible, it wouldn't happen. The local team would acclimatised and would never give up the advantage. They wouldn't all be locals but they would presumably be Darwin resident.

It would hurt crowds as well. From about the second year of living in Darwin air conditioning with dehumidification is unpleasant.

Given that housing and everything else is more expensive in Darwin than anywhere else in Australia (yes, even moreso than Sydney), there'd have to be a COLA to make it viable for players to even live there, then some sort of retention allowance on top for players to want to stay, too. That's before you get into practicalities like travel, crowds, market size and population density.

It would be a nice, romantic gesture to put a team in the NT, but I just can't see it myself.

It was reported the NT Government is going to invest 100k into research into this. They should just give me the 100k and I'll tell them the same answer as the outcome of the research - It Won't happen.

the AFL is only interested in putting teams in places with huge population bases.. regardless of whether the people in those places like AFL or not.

What is the population of the Territory? I did see a story where the population of Darwin is not going up anything like it was, is that accurate?

I'd be interested to know the population of the NT that aren't military personnel, government employees, health care workers, or teachers, or children of them.

It was reported the NT Government is going to invest 100k into research into this. They should just give me the 100k and I'll tell them the same answer as the outcome of the research - It Won't happen.

the AFL is only interested in putting teams in places with huge population bases.. regardless of whether the people in those places like AFL or not.

I’m happy to help - let’s split the money

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back