NT Team in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Build a roof and turn the air cond on. Whatever, crowds are dropping anyway.

It makes sense to have an odd-number of teams in a comp, more games played per year, more promotions, without affecting the season of an individual team.
Not a bad idea.
Almost every NFL stadium in the USA has a roof.
How do you think they play the Superbowl in Minnesota in mid Feb

Gee, and I was worried about there not being much to keep an AFL footballer entertained. With all that going on, I might just move up there myself!!

“Beer can regatta” sounds like a hoot, I gotta google that! :D

Wow, if there became a reason to double the capacity of rooms in Darwin, then surely hotels, investors / government would jump at that!

Of course that would take time, but it takes time to expand stadiums, open up extra flight slots, etc, etc.

+ check out Kakadu, etc.

Plenty of Australians fly over Darwin to holiday in Bali. Redirecting that holiday to Darwin wouldn’t be a stretch.

And yes, flying to Darwin is expensive, but that’s because it hasn’t become a commoditised destination (yet).

Around $11 million would come from the AFL from broadcast rights distributions.

Just by being an AFL team they’ll be able to attract at least a few $million in sponsorship. The gate takings will be worth something. The membership will be worth something. Wouldn’t have thought the shortfall would be so much?

How much of GWS shortfall do you think the NSW government would be paying? Wouldn’t have thought they’d be paying anything at all and it would be up to the AFL to cough up. At least the NT government is showing an interest.

Things change.

For example, If Darwin gets its Lithium mine going and boosting the local economy. The government work with the AFL to come up with a 12 year plan to get their own AFL team (by 2030, or whatever would be the start year of any new broadcast contract) subject to meeting some metrics along the way.

These include ...

- Moving NT Thunder out of NEAFL into proposed new seconds comp when it happens
- Establishment of NT Thunder AFLW Team
- Continuation of NT Thunder VFLW Team
- Upgrading of Marrara stadium capacity and facilities.
- Meeting membership and attendance targets.
- Darwin to successfully host a series of AFL conferences which include the draft.
- Bid to submit business plan that demonstrates viability.
- Need support of the other clubs.

Sure, it’s a tough ask, but surely they couldn’t do worse than GWS / GCS have done? I know people bang on about the population of Darwin being so low, but if population size really was that much of a factor then GCS/GWS would have the biggest memberships. They don’t. There are other factors at play.
To be fair. Gws is obviously about expanding into a market slowly and eventually tapping into that large population base - ala the swans success

I would think Tasmania and Canberra would get a team before NT ever will. Also you would think their would be a 3rd Perth team and a North Queensland team before the NT as well. The NT will get a team eventually but it won't be for another 20-30 years you would think.
Heck, there will be a New Zealand team before there's an NT team.

Gee, and I was worried about there not being much to keep an AFL footballer entertained. With all that going on, I might just move up there myself!!

“Beer can regatta” sounds like a hoot, I gotta google that! :D

Wow, if there became a reason to double the capacity of rooms in Darwin, then surely hotels, investors / government would jump at that!

Of course that would take time, but it takes time to expand stadiums, open up extra flight slots, etc, etc.

+ check out Kakadu, etc.

Plenty of Australians fly over Darwin to holiday in Bali. Redirecting that holiday to Darwin wouldn’t be a stretch.

And yes, flying to Darwin is expensive, but that’s because it hasn’t become a commoditised destination (yet).

Around $11 million would come from the AFL from broadcast rights distributions.

Just by being an AFL team they’ll be able to attract at least a few $million in sponsorship. The gate takings will be worth something. The membership will be worth something. Wouldn’t have thought the shortfall would be so much?

How much of GWS shortfall do you think the NSW government would be paying? Wouldn’t have thought they’d be paying anything at all and it would be up to the AFL to cough up. At least the NT government is showing an interest.

Things change.

For example, If Darwin gets its Lithium mine going and boosting the local economy. The government work with the AFL to come up with a 12 year plan to get their own AFL team (by 2030, or whatever would be the start year of any new broadcast contract) subject to meeting some metrics along the way.

These include ...

- Moving NT Thunder out of NEAFL into proposed new seconds comp when it happens
- Establishment of NT Thunder AFLW Team
- Continuation of NT Thunder VFLW Team
- Upgrading of Marrara stadium capacity and facilities.
- Meeting membership and attendance targets.
- Darwin to successfully host a series of AFL conferences which include the draft.
- Bid to submit business plan that demonstrates viability.
- Need support of the other clubs.

Sure, it’s a tough ask, but surely they couldn’t do worse than GWS / GCS have done? I know people bang on about the population of Darwin being so low, but if population size really was that much of a factor then GCS/GWS would have the biggest memberships. They don’t. There are other factors at play.

Darwin has 2 onshore Gas processing facilities Inpex and ConocoPhillips. Exporting 300,000m3 of gas per week at full chat. Any mine bigger than that is very unlikely near Darwin.

You forget you are looking at a place the size of Bendigo/Ballarat. Alice is somewhere between the size of Wangaratta and Traralgon. These are not the population bases for an AFL team.

Hotels wont be built the current ones are essentially empty for 6 months a year. You can get hotels in the buildup and the wet in 4 star hotels for less than $100 / night. Flight slots are easy into Darwin. Its a 24hr airport. Darwin airport is busy between 12am - 4am and 12pm to 4pm opening landing slots is a snack.

It isn’t viable. It wont be viable for many many years.

Darwin has 2 onshore Gas processing facilities Inpex and ConocoPhillips. Exporting 300,000m3 of gas per week at full chat. Any mine bigger than that is very unlikely near Darwin.

You forget you are looking at a place the size of Bendigo/Ballarat. Alice is somewhere between the size of Wangaratta and Traralgon. These are not the population bases for an AFL team.

Hotels wont be built the current ones are essentially empty for 6 months a year. You can get hotels in the buildup and the wet in 4 star hotels for less than $100 / night. Flight slots are easy into Darwin. Its a 24hr airport. Darwin airport is busy between 12am - 4am and 12pm to 4pm opening landing slots is a snack.

It isn’t viable. It wont be viable for many many years.
Again, another case of Southerners telling us what's good for us without ever setting foot in the place.

Whilst Inpex was good for the NT in the early years it certainly has caused it's fair share of problems and will continue to do so into the near future with a declining population.

I'm about 35 minutes out of town and in the wet it's cheaper for the misses and I to grab a room in town and stay the night after a few beers than a Cab or Uber home.

The money allocated is $100k isn't it. That pays for possibly one consultant to put a few pages together, title it a feasibility study to be shelved for the next 12 years when the numbers don't stack up.

Would've been better releasing another tagged barra with a $100k tag in it IMO.

Would be cheaper for all to have Singapore enter a team in the AFL comp, well, maybe not Singa's but certainly Malaysia or Indonesia.

Again, another case of Southerners telling us what's good for us without ever setting foot in the place.

Not at all.

This has come from AFLNT and the NT government ...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-06/territory-explores-potential-bid-for-afl-team

“THE NORTHERN Territory is preparing to explore whether it could realistically be home to an AFL club.

AFLNT chief executive Stuart Totham and NT Chief Minister Michael Gunner met with AFL chief executive Gill McLachlan in Melbourne this week to discuss the plan...”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-06/territory-explores-potential-bid-for-afl-team

If Southerners (I am) reckon Darwin is a wonderful place to visit (it is, I have spent time there) and reckon it’d be fun to go and watch their footy team play ... isn’t that a good thing?

And given the large volume of Travel NT ads that we’ve had to put up with over the years, aren’t those of us outside the NT entitled to be treated as stakeholders who are entitled to an opinion? (And of course their opinion in no way invalidates the opinions of locals who will be living with it and whose taxpayer dollars will probably be needed to fund the thing)

But there must be some local interest - politicians don’t touch anything that doesn’t.

Would be cheaper for all to have Singapore enter a team in the AFL comp, well, maybe not Singa's but certainly Malaysia or Indonesia.

Or China with a billion people? It doesn’t matter how much money or population a place has, it’s pointless if nobody is interested in it.

GWS was founded 10 years ago and today they average barely 12K to their home games. An NT (or Tassie) club surely wouldn’t have done any worse?

It was reported the NT Government is going to invest 100k into research into this. They should just give me the 100k and I'll tell them the same answer as the outcome of the research - It Won't happen.

the AFL is only interested in putting teams in places with huge population bases.. regardless of whether the people in those places like AFL or not.

$100k is absolutely * all for a research project.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, understand this, It's more around many comments I've read and listened to from people today who have no idea or seem to have no idea about the NT as it is a unique climate with many challenges. For a start our AFL season round 1 started this week and will run through the wet season which allows us to have a cricket season played in the dry. I know you and some know this but many don't. Yes we have the NTT in the NEAFL but there's still many to claim this as an outright success as it did have a knock on affect with the local NTFL competition.

It's a novelty. The costs would be too high for both a local club and supporters that want to follow there teams up each week and we'd need probably 3000-5000 supporters each game here in the NT to make it viable.

TIO gets maybe 8000 supporters to each game, I'd love to know how many of these tickets are handed out free around the NT to communities or subsidised but you couldn't have that happen. Locals go because it's somewhat a novelty with 1 or 2 games a year. That number will halve with games every second week and the way the airlines run not many from here would be flying down week in week out in the dry to follow the club around.

We rarely get 12000 to any game here in NT, I think the last game we broke 10000 was actually an NRL world cup game.

The level of funding to this project $100k shows how committed the NT government is for it, that's a few trips to Melbourne and coffee with Gil all bundled up in one package.

Well with NT thunder in your name you should easily know what I am talking about
I’ve seen racism all over Australia and the world and more backward thinking from our politicians at State/Territory and federal level and I don’t mind the wet season, now the build up is s**t but wet season is a treasure that many never get to experience IMO.

I’ve seen racism all over Australia and the world and more backward thinking from our politicians at State/Territory and federal level and I don’t mind the wet season, now the build up is s**t but wet season is a treasure that many never get to experience IMO.
Lol you haven’t seen racism untill you go to the NT, everything up there is 30-20 years behind the rest of Australia.

You would struggle to retain any interstate players up there when they know how far behind NT is to the rest of Aus.

Lol you haven’t seen racism untill you go to the NT, everything up there is 30-20 years behind the rest of Australia.

You would struggle to retain any interstate players up there when they know how far behind NT is to the rest of Aus.
So what are some examples? I’ve seen it, no where near as bad as early 90’s when I first started coming up here was true racism. I remember walking into a bar where there were only indigenous folk drinking and the barmaid came and asked me to come around the other side with the white people to drink but those days are long gone.

I’ve seen plenty of anti-social behaviour that sees plenty of people leave the NT and close small business due to ongoing break ins and damage costs that when they vent their frustrations are labeled racist.

I’ve seen plenty of jobs advertised only for indigenous and TS people to apply, maybe this is the racism you speak of.

I’ve seen plenty of government contracts that are awarded to companies with “Indigenous Directors” due to weighting criteria - maybe this is what you speak off but I am genuinely interested in your examples in your 12 months here.

So what are some examples? I’ve seen it, no where near as bad as early 90’s when I first started coming up high was true racism. I remember walking into a bar where there were only indigenous folk drinking and the barmaid came and asked me to come around the other side with the white people to drink but those days are long gone.

I’ve seen plenty of anti-social behaviour that sees plenty of people leave the NT and close small business due to ongoing break ins and damage costs that when they vent their frustrations are labeled racist.

I’ve seen plenty of jobs advertised only for indigenous and TS people to apply, maybe this is the racism you speak of.

I’ve seen plenty of government contracts that are awarded to companies with “Indigenous Directors” due to weighting criteria - maybe this is what you speak off but I am genuinely interested in your examples in your 12 months here.
Sounds like you have a problem with the indigenous people

Point proven

Sounds like you have a problem with the indigenous people

Point proven
Yep, you got it one mate -been here over 20 years and have a problem with first Australians yet you run after 12 months and throw stones from a far.

So sad the entrenched racism

To be fair, the state that is the most liberal minded towards issues of reconciliation (Victoria) is also the state with the lowest indigenous population. It’s very easy to be liberal minded when the community you live in isn’t confronted by these issues.

Think back your time in NT ... no doubt at all you would have come across many instances of racism. And no doubt many of those would have been seemly no-win instances of racism ... support the indigenous issue and you’re patronising, paternalistic ... and racist. Ignore the indigenous issue and you’re ignorant, uncaring ... and racist.

These issues can be very difficult. Many generations from settlers to missionaries to government to NGO’s have gone in there to ‘fix’ the problems but have just ended up only making them worse. The stolen generation was done with the very best of intentions, and look what a utensil-up that was!

I did exactly what you did ... return to the comfort of my liberal homelands after spending time up north (Qld in my case). Like you, I saw some terrible stuff. But I also saw a lot of good that gave me hope and optimism.

Last edited:
Weather wouldn't be tremendously difficult though, dry season is exactly that... it's dry lol. You just don't feel the heat even if it's 32 degrees during the day. It's the wet season that's the issue which isn't even an issue as the AFL season doesn't run at the same time.
Think you're too used to it. For somebody from Melbourne in the Winter, going to Darwin is like entering the fires of hell - even in the dry season. I went in the dry season and even stepping off the plane at 1am, it hit me like a ton of bricks - and even though it's the "dry" season, there were still some very humid and wet days while I was there. Imagine training for a game in 18 degrees, then you go play a match in 32 degree heat high humidity - that's a crazy differential. I don't support this idea due to climatic conditions alone - let alone the economic unfeasibility of it all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back