State Focus NT Thunder Draft Chances

Remove this Banner Ad

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
It's beginning to look more and more like the NT Thunder, which was once seen as an opportunity for Territory footballers to get a look into AFL while still living here, is no longer a viable option for kids in Darwin looking to get to the big time. I look at the Thunder squad now, which contains way too many state league players from down south who played in the NTFL, and I see maybe one or two possible AFL draftees, both of which will more than likely have to go down south to get a chance to get drafted.

Unfortunately, the likes of Relton Roberts and Zeph Skinner (two players drafted directly from Thunder) have created a status quo in that clubs are afraid of investing time into Territory (especially Indigenous) youngsters due to the chance of them getting homesick. Most of the top Territory prospects playing in the AFL today went down south in order to get drafted: Brandan Parfitt went to North Adelaide, Daniel and Cyril Rioli played at St Patrick's and Scotch College respectively, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti moved to Melbourne at a young age. Willie Rioli and Matthew Stokes are examples of players who moved down in their 20s, excelled at SANFL level, and then got drafted. Our only players drafted last year were Zac Bailey (Norwood) and Tony Olango (Box Hill). They were nominally trained by Thunder, but undoubtedly served more by their time down south.

It may be completely coincidental, but the only player drafted directly from NT Thunder with no southern experience in the last 5 years has been Ryan Nyhuis, who is not Indigenous, and even he spent a year on a rookie list before getting his opportunity. Last season, two of the Territory's most draftable prospects in Adam Sambono and Francis Kinthari both failed to make even the rookie draft. Kinthari, at one point, had signed for Frankston this season, but it fell through, and Sambono is playing at NEAFL level again. I don't expect either of them to get drafted, whereas Liam Holt-Fitz, the best prospect in the NT right now, will be heading to boarding school in Victoria, where he will be greatly served.

It's a real shame, because I reckon on average, NT players are the most skillful and exciting in the country. What lets us down is the professionalism and determination, and that's a league wide thing in terms of the NTFL. In order to prove themselves able to play AFL, players now need to head down south and play WAFL, SANFL or TAC Cup. Playing NEAFL against east coast reserve sides and living in Darwin just isn't cutting it anymore.

The exorbitant cost of flights Darwin-Perth during Ichthys could just about sent the WAFL or NT footy though!

Disappointed no club took a chance of Sambono, one one hand can see why given his frame but on the other when he's that talented and running rings around much bigger opponents (many of whom are on AFL lists) why the heck not.

The exorbitant cost of flights Darwin-Perth during Ichthys could just about sent the WAFL or NT footy though!

Disappointed no club took a chance of Sambono, one one hand can see why given his frame but on the other when he's that talented and running rings around much bigger opponents (many of whom are on AFL lists) why the heck not.

Might find that he gets the same result as Liam Ryan. Kicked 40 in the WAFL with no preseason. Fitness wasn't a strong point obviously but hey, that can be fixed. Why clubs didn't look at spending a rookie selection on him in the 2016 draft was astonishing. Perhaps there were other reasons....

Yet here he is getting selected early in the second round after bagging 80 goals and a solitary WAFL preseason under his belt.

Fingers crossed for him as Sambono sure looks like he has the talent to make it.

dom barry is a prime example. didn't think or rate nt an the league so went the snafl path.

also a thought inside footy is the nt boys are great at one way footy. watch the under 18 boys play state champs is fun!

. I don't expect either of them to get drafted, whereas Liam Holt-Fitz, the best prospect in the NT right now, will be heading to boarding school in Victoria, where he will be greatly served.
Is Liam Holt-Fitz the one who's linked to Collingwood's next gen academy?

Be surprised if Liam heads south to boarding school.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There was talk on the Collingwood Board that we wanted to Bring Liam South to I guess a Private/Boarding School and Play for the Oakleigh Chargers our Zone TAC Cup Team

For me, if the Funding is provided for travel, the Thunder should join the WAFL.

Reduces the bye.

The travel funding probably isn't there, Thunder already gets a disproportionate amount of home games in the NEAFL. Plus, we're slowly becoming less and less competitive in the NEAFL so I highly doubt we could cut it at WAFL level.

Has the typical question marks over homesickness. It was sometimes difficult to get him to come to Darwin for Thunder or NTFL games. He's from a remote community several hours out of Darwin.

Matthew Green is in the AFL academy and I’d be shocked if he doesn’t get drafted. Michael Mummery also a good chance

Good call. Rodney Baird another chance for this year's draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Territory is a different place, different climate, different geography, different cultures, different social structures.

Not an easy thing for someone brought up in that to suddenly leave.

I think it's pretty reasonable for clubs to look for evidence that players can handle leaving (e.g. by going to the SANFL prior).

I'm not really sure how you could demonstrate that at the very junior levels.

The NT punches above it's weight and I love what they provide to footy. Apart from WA, NT has the cream of the Indigenous talents that I'd take a chance on....especially if the AFL clubs are honest about how that always say they aim to make "good footballers even better citizens".

Heaven knows there are enough bland big bodied, boring mids in the general system right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back