Expansion NT Thunder,Tassie Devils. 20 clubs,20 rounds...? AFL then truly the Australian Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Facts, logic, supporting information? Get out! This is the industry board, where only unsupported conspiracy theories are accepted. :rolleyes:

I'm waiting for the Demetriou used to play for North line. Only the equalisation policies have been enhanced since he left under the endorsement of an AFL commission that has a majority of non-Vics and a West Aussie Chief Commissioner!

I'm waiting for the Demetriou used to play for North line. Only the equalisation policies have been enhanced since he left under the endorsement of an AFL commission that has a majority of non-Vics and a West Aussie Chief Commissioner!

Don't forget the South Australian CEO who is clearly completely on board with this Victorian conspiracy as well.

Carlton gave Judd a nice little 3rd party deal. That didnt really help them very much did it. You cant offer just money to everyone. Success, or a good chance of it, is what attracts them. Some just want to be near home.

See your old mate Scott Wade has been given the arse along with a couple of others who have already departed. Is this good or bad for Tassie football?

So your solution to the oft heard complaint about there being too many clubs in Melbourne is for the AFL to pay non Vic clubs to compete for fans with them and spread the fanbase even thinner...

Not to mention that budgets are finite ... If GWS has been given 500k to spend trying to entice new fans, then surely it would be better spent trying to convert/attract people in Western Sydney than trying to take existing, rusted on fans away from their current clubs. (even trying that on Sydney fans is a dubious idea, doing it elsewhere is a waste of money).

I am really saying that all clubs should be promoted everywhere. Of course nominally there are the "Victorian" clubs, the "SA" clubs etc etc...but all clubs should build a fan base as much as they can anywhere. The classic examples of this are West Coast, Adelaide and Sydney...they have significant supporter bases in their home town but also in Melbourne. Hawthorn of course has two bases.

The ideal for the AFL is to have as many supporters as possible at all games....as long as they support one side or the other. The idiosyncrasy of having 10 Vic clubs and 10 non Vic is that over 20 rounds the non Vic clubs will play 5 games in Melb....why not build a second supporter base. Melbourne's population is growing rapidly and many people come from interstate anyway...let all clubs build. The idea that Vic clubs are struggling is a bit of a misnomer...the AFL hold the power anyway...they have opted to back all clubs...the bottom line is to get numbers to the game.

Currently their are 11 Melb clubs playing "home " games out of Vic. 7 in Tassie, 2 in Darwin, 1 in Cairns, 1 in Alice Springs. I'm saying bring these matches back to Melbourne. Reduce to 20 rounds and Have 3 more games in Tassie (Tassie Devils + 7 matches already fixtured) and 6 more in Darwin...gives NT 8 Darwin matches, 1 Alice Springs and 1 Cairns. Total AFL matches 210 ( currently 207) , 100 games + finals in Melb, (Currently 110 + finals). All matches unique except rivalry matches. AFL has a much wider profile nationally yet AFL in Melbourne accommodates all clubs, so all AFL players whichever club they play for get significant exposure to play and be supported in Melbourne.

I realise this is a long way down the track but the AFL are better to support and represent all areas of the nation otherwise the game risks becoming irrelevant in the longer term in the face of the inevitable impact of global sports.

See your old mate Scott Wade has been given the arse along with a couple of others who have already departed. Is this good or bad for Tassie football?

God only knows.
Wade was employed by head office. They made the little dictator & after 16 years, they 'eased' him out the door. Footy has been through the ringer here more times than l can remember.
Wades attitude was arrogant at every turn. He alienated the local game with the public.
l just hope the AFL can reverse the Wade direction & do something right in Tas footy for a change.
We shall see.

Interesting

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl-...-for-a-significant-shift-20160309-gnew82.html

Gilligan clearly has always wanted North to move to Tasmania. DOes he have the Kahunas to follow it through.

Its obvious that the AFL know their are too many teams in Melbourne. They also want Hawthorn out of Tasmania. Hawks want to stay for the cash. North too like the cash in Hobart, but dont want to do the 7-8 games as the only team playing in Tasmania. They want to stay as a Melbourne club.

Having both Hawthorn & North here, like this current Mexican stand off, is bloody stupid. We know it, the AFL know it.

As you say, the AFL need to grow a pair & sort this mess out. They made it, they can fix it.

The solution is obvious. The AFL have been just too piss weak & Vic centric to sort the league out properly.

Anyway, we shall see what we shall see. Life goes on. Beers at the Talbot!! Or the OC, or even the Brunswick on occassion! (good food too!)

So what value is this 5 year contract Hawthorn have with Tassie? Has the AFL actually signed off on it as well, or can they just refuse to schedule Hawthorn games in Tassie?

$20 million over 5 years plus memberships, gate takings, other minor sponsorships etc.

Its up to the AFL to direct the competition. I guess it would be messy to force the issue with Hawthorn at this stage. They are self interested & couldnt care less about what the AFL wants.

$20 million over 5 years plus memberships, gate takings, other minor sponsorships etc.

I was more interested in value as in whether or not it's enforceable WRT the fixture.

Its up to the AFL to direct the competition. I guess it would be messy to force the issue with Hawthorn at this stage. They are self interested & couldnt care less about what the AFL wants.

And if the AFL just schedules 4 North games in Launceston instead? I bet they'd care about it then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fitz has spent more time in Vic than WA - bit like Balmey. At 21 & having won a flag & a B&F with Subi, Fitz was headed for Oxford & wanted a crack at VFL footy whilst he had a chance. Never went home.
http://www.blueseum.org/Mike+Fitzpatrick
97 games at Subi, 150 at Carlton.

40 years since he lived in WA.

Fitz has spent more time in Vic than WA - bit like Balmey. At 21 & having won a flag & a B&F with Subi, Fitz was headed for Oxford & wanted a crack at VFL footy whilst he had a chance. Never went home.
http://www.blueseum.org/Mike+Fitzpatrick
97 games at Subi, 150 at Carlton.

40 years since he lived in WA.

All true, but his Carlton playing history doesn't explain why he would have any particular bias in favour of the smaller Vic clubs who play all their Victorian home games at Etihad.

All true, but his Carlton playing history doesn't explain why he would have any particular bias in favour of the smaller Vic clubs who play all their Victorian home games at Etihad.

Not suggesting any bias for or against, his time in WA would have little to no bearing.
I'm a believer he should step down from the Commission, past the use by date.

Holding a point of view is no indication of bias, right Prints ?

All of these deals need the AFL to counter-sign them, because ultimately it's the AFL who says who plays where.

If that's true, then why on earth did they commission this review done by Simon Garlick? Wouldn't it have been far more prudent to wait for the review before signing off on medium term deals in Tassie?

If that's true, then why on earth did they commission this review done by Simon Garlick? Wouldn't it have been far more prudent to wait for the review before signing off on medium term deals in Tassie?

A one-team model – playing games at both ends of the state – has been suggested as the future of AFL in Tasmania in the report completed by former Western Bulldogs chief executive Simon Garlick.
http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...a/news-story/b3ee297ccd3897af4da1fa98e9740d8d

Got to agree with the disfunction of this current AFL administration particularly governance & due process.

A one-team model – playing games at both ends of the state – has been suggested as the future of AFL in Tasmania in the report completed by former Western Bulldogs chief executive Simon Garlick.
http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...a/news-story/b3ee297ccd3897af4da1fa98e9740d8d

Got to agree with the disfunction of this current AFL administration particularly governance & due process.

The view that Wade went because Hawthorn didnt like his push to have one team playing here doesnt hold water IMO. Wade was the voice of the AFL. He worked for them. He implemented their overall policy which is to push for one club. Hawthorn wouldnt like anyone to upset their cash cow, but its the AFL who have that deal in their sights.

Governance & due process is something Wade paid lip service to at TSL & local footy level here. So whilst he pushed AFL policy at the macro level, his dealings locally were destructive. He was playing his own games & supporting his mates in certain places. His 16 year reign is replete with massive stuff ups. None more obvious than the rise & fall of the VFL team. He chopped & changed things so often that the popularity of the team just collapsed.

The other huge issue is the falling away of junior football here The poorer performances of junior representative teams has been quite dramatic over the last few years.

The game has been left behind by other states. When Qld gets more than 10x the funding that Tasmania gets, & has 2 AFL clubs closely associated with local football. You can see why we get sick of the position we get from head office. They have drained this place for a century. Its now time to get the game set up right down here.

The AFL guys are down here to speak to local TSL presidents & others about their views etc. I hope they listen for once. Anyway, the next 12 months will be interesting.

Whats your view on the independence of Simon Garlick on this matter mugsta?

Be a bit much for the AFL to release the report as a discussion paper, I live in hope someone (a real journo) will attack the competence of the current AFL admin.

That Tassie has gone backwards under AFL direction/control is undeniable.

Is Will Hodgeman playing politics here?

The problem I see, and this has nothing to do with the North/South thing, but more of a general problem that would effect things no matter where it was, is the fact he Hawthorn have been in Launceston for what 15 odd years and in that time they have been spectacularly successful, which in turn, naturally would get a generation of kids and many adults adopting Hawthorn as their team. If they were to suddenly be forced to leave, and North were just plonked in their place, I can see there would be a natural backlash from the locals. The AFL's inaction, particularly under Vlad's reign on this has totally ****ed Tasmanian football. I believe Gilligan wants to fix it, but it becomes harder every year. If he could wave his wand and make the Kangaroos Tasmania, he would do it in a flash.

Whats your view on the independence of Simon Garlick on this matter mugsta?

Be a bit much for the AFL to release the report as a discussion paper, I live in hope someone (a real journo) will attack the competence of the current AFL admin.

That Tassie has gone backwards under AFL direction/control is undeniable.

Is Will Hodgeman playing politics here?

I heard Garlick was very good. Apparently he spoke to a lot of people, not just the usual talking suits at AFLTas. Footy & junior footy has not progressed for a decade. As I said, the difference is we are distant from the real professional driving force of an AFL club. Hawks & now North are here for the money & kiss a few babies for the photo opp. Its not their community. Its an income source. Thats all. The AFL have done SFA for the game here. They take take take, well now the well is running dry.

The politics is undeniable.The pressure to placate the seat of Bass around Launceston is pretty strong. They got 'gifted' football as a political hook. Now they wont let go without a fight. I dont think they will see reason without a lot of guarantees. I think thats is fair & understandable. I've always said that with the two grounds, Park Park & Boot Park, they should both have Footy & cricket. Remember also that Launceston is in an economic malaise at the moment, whilst Hobart is in a relative boom by comparison.The NWC Burnie & Devonport are starting to go ok again. The northern mafia feel left out & unloved.

How the AFL make this a one team state is a problem for them. How they get the local game producing again is the immediate issue. They certainly need to sort out where the money went & direct it back to club & player development.

I think the only reasonable outcome is for Tasmania to have its own team. The politics of supporting so many poorly performing clubs in Melbourne is the problem. they havent the balls to deal with the reality. Even a growing Melbourne will simply make the gap much wider.

That apart, they can start to regain the faith of the public by fixing the mess that is the TSL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back