NT wants a club within 10 years

Remove this Banner Ad

There is nothing to link Darwin and Canberra together other than being territories.

Give Canberra its own team, possibly with Albury getting 1-3 matches.

There would be 6 or 7 cities ahead of Darwin in the pecking order - most of whom shouldn't get new/an additional team.

I agree with Canberra with a few matches away. My preference would be nine in Canberra and one each in Albury and Wagga.

The NT definitely couldn't sustain 11 home games. The only alternative I could see would be the previously mentioned "northern" team shared between Darwin, Alice, Cairns and Townsville, but it would be very nomadic and hard to pick a central base.

I agree with Canberra with a few matches away. My preference would be nine in Canberra and one each in Albury and Wagga.

The NT definitely couldn't sustain 11 home games. The only alternative I could see would be the previously mentioned "northern" team shared between Darwin, Alice, Cairns and Townsville, but it would be very nomadic and hard to pick a central base.

That northern team would be DOA if it ever happened and as it is I'd put more money on a stand alone Cairns team doing a better job in the AFL than Darwin.

Geelong aren't exactly the perfect example people make them out to be for things like this. They're a founding member of the VFL, the second oldest club in the history of footy and they've got a city of 5 and a half million people an hour away with the western suburbs having a fair number of Cats fans in them.

Yes, that's what I said. What i didn't say is that Geelong have the best CEO in the business.

NT don't have any of that to draw from and while I'm not questioning that it's footy heartland I do not see any way they'd be sustainable.

Not in any present model. It would have to be the boutique model and mobile model.

Pre Covid I know the SANFL were seriously investigating the possibility of a NT side joining. I hope when things are a little more stable that the idea is revisited

Remove this Banner Ad

Back