NTFL Season 2021/22

A bit late to the party as I was back home in the NT for the first two rounds, but am now back in SA relying on dodgy live score updates on PlayHQ/Flashscore updates. Thought I'd chuck the scores up for those who are interested in the current season. Can't rely on PlayHQ for goalkickers as it's a very tacky site, but there are PDF copies of the in-depth stats on the AFLNT site that I'll try link up when available (source: https://www.aflnt.com.au/ntflstats)

Current Ladder as of 10/1

1641779647734.png

Round 1
Round 1

1634509172730.png

Waratah vs Palmerston Magpies - In depth match-stats here

Tiwi Bombers vs Darwin Buffaloes - In depth match-stats here

Wanderers vs Southern Districts - In depth match-stats here

Nightcliff vs St Mary's - In depth match-stats here

Round 2

1634509537768.png

Stats:

Wanderers vs St Mary's - download here

Palmerston Magpies vs Tiwi Bombers - download here

Nightcliff vs Waratah - download here

Darwin Buffaloes vs Southern Districts - download here

ROUND 3

1634509607969.png

Stats

St Mary's vs Tiwi Bombers - download here

Southern Districts vs Waratah - download here

Wanderers vs Nightcliff - download here

Darwin Buffaloes vs Palmerston Magpies - download here

After their dismal performance against Tahs in Round 1, I truly thought this was going to be a disaster season for Palmerston. But they've shown up pretty well against Tiwi and Buffs the last 2 weeks, so I'm somewhat excited about the year ahead.

Big news as well surrounding this season is Eddie Betts. Original rumours were going around saying he was coming up to play for Palmerston, but Palmerston wouldn't announce due to quarantine requirements/not wanting to jump the gun. It went quiet for a bit, he signed for Geelong, but has now flown up and landed in Darwin on Saturday to do his quarantine. However, it appears Wanderers may have now gotten in his ear and he might be heading to them. Not sure where he's going yet, but will be a big announcement when so.

I know I'm bias, but I really hope he goes to Palmerston. We've been down the bottom for about 20 years now, unable to recruit players, or when we do, they last a year or two normally before moving to another team (eg. Andrew Lovett). Someone like Eddie would get people in the gates at Cazalys Arena, and I know Palmerston desperately need support and finances. It would also help the club appeal to interstate players and not have the big clubs (Tahs, Crocs, Wanderers, Tigers, Saints) flog all the decent talent heading up there

ROUND 4

1635463302798.png

Stats:

Tiwi Bombers vs Southern Districts - download here

Palmerston Magpies vs Wanderers - download here

St Mary's vs Nightcliff - download here

Waratah vs Darwin Buffaloes - download here

Big news as well surrounding this season is Eddie Betts. Original rumours were going around saying he was coming up to play for Palmerston, but Palmerston wouldn't announce due to quarantine requirements/not wanting to jump the gun. It went quiet for a bit, he signed for Geelong, but has now flown up and landed in Darwin on Saturday to do his quarantine. However, it appears Wanderers may have now gotten in his ear and he might be heading to them. Not sure where he's going yet, but will be a big announcement when so.

I know I'm bias, but I really hope he goes to Palmerston. We've been down the bottom for about 20 years now, unable to recruit players, or when we do, they last a year or two normally before moving to another team (eg. Andrew Lovett). Someone like Eddie would get people in the gates at Cazalys Arena, and I know Palmerston desperately need support and finances. It would also help the club appeal to interstate players and not have the big clubs (Tahs, Crocs, Wanderers, Tigers, Saints) flog all the decent talent heading up there

After my little whinge there the other day, I'm so glad Eddie signed for us. Considering flying up to Darwin next weekend to watch his debut against Southern Districts at our home ground. Streaming from the suburban ovals is generally terrible. Glad to see he's coaching too; might inspire a few of our younger lads to stick around at the club

1635463404682.png

kdavva

all-time #2 sweet fa podcast host
Oct 19, 2021
Darwin
Fighting Furies, BHA
After my little whinge there the other day, I'm so glad Eddie signed for us. Considering flying up to Darwin next weekend to watch his debut against Southern Districts at our home ground. Streaming from the suburban ovals is generally terrible. Glad to see he's coaching too; might inspire a few of our younger lads to stick around at the club

View attachment 1270061
I'm getting time off work to go down to the ground on Sunday week, I live like 5 minutes away but we're gonna get there 60-90 minutes early to try and beat the crowd.

Was offline most of last week so didn't get to post. Fairly dramatic week as it turns out!

ROUND 5
1636319659951.png

STATS

Tiwi Bombers vs Waratah - download here

Southern Districts vs Wanderers - download here

Darwin Buffaloes vs Nightcliff - download here

St Mary's vs Palmerston Magpies - download here

ROUND 6

All games postponed due to the COVID Lockout. Whilst the vaccinated could have kept playing, i'd imagine trying to police it and excluding a heap of players was just too messy. The whole NTFL (juniors & seniors) was postponed. Was set to be a pretty big round of fixtures:

- Massive shame for Palmerston - Eddie Betts debut was scheduled on Sunday with a family day etc. at Cazalys Arena. Could have been close to a sell out, which is MUCH needed for the club. Unsure at this stage when this round of fixtures will be replayed, as the NTFL isn't all that keen on mid-week games.

- Tiwi were fixtured for their first game of the season back home on the Tiwi Islands

- Shannon Rioli (St Mary's) and Cam Ilett (Nightcliff) were scheduled for game #200 this weekend - now likely they'll play those next weekend

- Waratah vs Nightcliff was set to be a ripping contest with both teams playing great football.

If all goes to plan, Eddie should instead debut against Nightcliff next Saturday night at Cazalys Arena, which would be massive. The Palmy Army loves getting vocal against Nightcliff and it's always a great night (even when they belt us), so with Eddie out there too, it should be a night for attending.

1636319718288.png

ROUND 7

1637012758973.png

STATS

Tiwi Bombers vs Southern Districts - download here

Wanderers vs Darwin Buffaloes - download here

Palmerston Magpies vs Nightcliff - download here

Fair bit went on this weekend. Tahs and Saints was called off and each team awarded 2 points due to heavy rain and lightning. Eddie (and Luke Meadows) made his debut for Palmerston and filled Cazalys Arena. Scored 2 goals, including a trademark from the pocket that did the rounds on the AFL Facebook pages. Shame we lost but Nightcliff are a superpower that will take a lot of recruiting to catch

Islanda22

Feb 11, 2014
Australia
Fair bit went on this weekend. Tahs and Saints was called off and each team awarded 2 points due to heavy rain and lightning. Eddie (and Luke Meadows) made his debut for Palmerston and filled Cazalys Arena. Scored 2 goals, including a trademark from the pocket that did the rounds on the AFL Facebook pages. Shame we lost but Nightcliff are a superpower that will take a lot of recruiting to catch

How many years since Palmerston made the Finals? Must be 20 years at least which is a shambles considering the $$$ and market in Palmerston

Islanda22

Feb 11, 2014
Australia
Nightcliff - Clear favs to win it, have some great players who all work hard for each other and continue to find recruits who are high standard
St Marys - They will get better after Xmas, i can see another Tigers/Saints GF. Jackson Calder (13 goals from 3 games) and Nigel Lockyer jr (11 goals from 3 games) are a great duo up forward
Wanderers - Shillabeer ex Buff is a great pickup, they arguably have the best forward duo in the League with Shillabeer (6 goals from 2 games) and Ed Simpson (10 goals from 3 games)
Tahs - Lacking a big key forward even though they currently have a decent small forward in Jayden Magro who has 15 so far. Ab Ankers averaging 24 disposals per game and Robert Turnbull 21.4
Sth Districts - Not use to seeing them struggle like they have since the years before Mago McLean was in charge. Have only beaten teams below them and look to be fighting with Palmerston for 5th spot. Michael Bowden has 23.8 disposals a game and Jack Sexton with 20.4
Palmerston - Arguably Palmerston's best start to a season in 20 years which is astonishing. Picked up some great recruits in Betts, Lennon Marlin and Ruddy Riddich. Not sure if Matt Dennis is making the trek up North this season but he will be the difference in them playing finals footy for the first time in years.
Darwin - Have been shocking and look like they are a Division 1 side. On paper they look decent but are unable to deliver so far this season which is concerning. Jarrod Stokes is averaging 19.2 disposals and Hassan Ahmat-Watkins kicking 13 goals from 3 games.
Tiwi Islands - Rebuilding phase currently for the Bombers which is why they have been getting slaughtered. Have lost some keys players in Ross Tungatalum and Austin Wonaemerri. Kim Kantilla crossed over from Waratahs and is currently the leading goalkicker with 16.

How many years since Palmerston made the Finals? Must be 20 years at least which is a shambles considering the $$$ and market in Palmerston

Palmerston - Arguably Palmerston's best start to a season in 20 years which is astonishing. Picked up some great recruits in Betts, Lennon Marlin and Ruddy Riddich. Not sure if Matt Dennis is making the trek up North this season but he will be the difference in them playing finals footy for the first time in years.

Don't think we've really made the finals since our flags about 20 years or so ago. I got involved in the club around 05 and can't remember our men's team ever making it, even in the days of Peter Shepherd, Lance Whitnall and Cam Cloke etc.

Really has been a shambles - it all comes down to $$ thoughg. A lot of it is NTFL related / the crap deal with Cazalys and the Uni (Palmerston pays over 3 times more "rent" for our oval than any other club). The only way Palmerston will ever become a strong side is if we get a new oval, say in Rosebery and not on the outskirts, and it has a sports club attached to it. We have a kitchen at Cazalys Arena but it's tiny and only used for functions. Tahs/Tigers/Saints are so powerful because of the money their sponsors AND clubhouse bring, Districts have a lot of rural sponsors. Having had visibility over the way Palmerston's finances work, we get a LOT of players who don't pay rego, no parent volunteers to help, and literally no money to pay players. I made best players in a senior game and got a mcflurry voucher for it as my match payment (we're going back 10 or so years but still).

The shambles at the top also caused a huge drop off of talent from the juniors. We had very successful junior squads; I played in about 5 premierships coming up between Under 13s and 18s. Then when we hit seniors, and due to new coaches all the time, changeover in talent etc. a lot of us gave up because it didn't matter how you were performing in Div 1 or 2; the only player movement each week was due to injuries.

Having said that, I actually REALLY like the direction the club is going under the Davey presidency and with Heath as coach. They're building a club people are passionate about; that fans want to watch. Recruits coming in from WAFL etc. As long as we don't get raided by the other clubs too hard, I think we're certainly on the up. From what I know, Matty Dennis may still come up. He got injured in that Tassie GF, but has been very vocal still with the playing group and seems keen.

Islanda22

Feb 11, 2014
Australia
Don't think we've really made the finals since our flags about 20 years or so ago. I got involved in the club around 05 and can't remember our men's team ever making it, even in the days of Peter Shepherd, Lance Whitnall and Cam Cloke etc.

Really has been a shambles - it all comes down to $$ thoughg. A lot of it is NTFL related / the crap deal with Cazalys and the Uni (Palmerston pays over 3 times more "rent" for our oval than any other club). The only way Palmerston will ever become a strong side is if we get a new oval, say in Rosebery and not on the outskirts, and it has a sports club attached to it. We have a kitchen at Cazalys Arena but it's tiny and only used for functions. Tahs/Tigers/Saints are so powerful because of the money their sponsors AND clubhouse bring, Districts have a lot of rural sponsors. Having had visibility over the way Palmerston's finances work, we get a LOT of players who don't pay rego, no parent volunteers to help, and literally no money to pay players. I made best players in a senior game and got a mcflurry voucher for it as my match payment (we're going back 10 or so years but still).

The shambles at the top also caused a huge drop off of talent from the juniors. We had very successful junior squads; I played in about 5 premierships coming up between Under 13s and 18s. Then when we hit seniors, and due to new coaches all the time, changeover in talent etc. a lot of us gave up because it didn't matter how you were performing in Div 1 or 2; the only player movement each week was due to injuries.

Having said that, I actually REALLY like the direction the club is going under the Davey presidency and with Heath as coach. They're building a club people are passionate about; that fans want to watch. Recruits coming in from WAFL etc. As long as we don't get raided by the other clubs too hard, I think we're certainly on the up. From what I know, Matty Dennis may still come up. He got injured in that Tassie GF, but has been very vocal still with the playing group and seems keen.

Yeah it's shame the FC hasn't really found it's identity on and off the field since basically RJ left

If you look at the coaches since RJ (Dean Rioli, Tyrell?, Tavis Perry, Flanagan?, Perrin, Daveys and more)

I would be a little concerned with the southerner recruitment approach because eventually it dies down and you are left with players who are just not up to the level. Juniors get the sh#ts and change clubs or just quit because of the influx.

Basically clubs who have access to the Pokies are the ones in the green and able to recruit with $$$

Wanderers have no $$$ but seem to get good recruits through connections and those who just wanna play in a relaxed environment

Really hope the FC hasn't thrown all there eggs in the one basket (2021-22 season) and struggle once again. I can tell you now that Eddie hasn't come cheap even though he isn't officially getting $$$ in his pocket. Quarantine, flights and rent would total nearly $30k for basically games until Xmas. He has to be in Geelong for his new role at the FC.

ROUND 8

1637880453955.png

STATS

Tiwi Bombers vs Waratah - download here

Wanderers vs Southern Districts - download here

Darwin Buffaloes vs Nightcliff - download here

Palmerston Magpies vs St Mary's - download here

Palmerston were very disappointing, not sure if they will get a win before Betts leave come Xmas

Same old same old every year. Few good games and a bit of spirit at the start, then fizzle and slide down towards the bottom. Even with Betts, Luke Meadows and potentially Will Farrer, we're still going to struggle. We've been crying out for a decent forward though, so maybe Farrer could be a decent pickup if the NT News rumours are correct (they predicted he'd play against Saints so who knows)

Islanda22

Feb 11, 2014
Australia
Same old same old every year. Few good games and a bit of spirit at the start, then fizzle and slide down towards the bottom. Even with Betts, Luke Meadows and potentially Will Farrer, we're still going to struggle. We've been crying out for a decent forward though, so maybe Farrer could be a decent pickup if the NT News rumours are correct (they predicted he'd play against Saints so who knows)

Geez Will Farrar seems to be shopping himself around

Heard we was a done deal with his brother Jono to Pints for some ridiculous signing fee

Add the fact he would be a 4 pointer in a side that can't get it forward you would have a recipe for disaster

And not to mention he is past it

Geez Will Farrar seems to be shopping himself around

Heard we was a done deal with his brother Jono to Pints for some ridiculous signing fee

Add the fact he would be a 4 pointer in a side that can't get it forward you would have a recipe for disaster

And not to mention he is past it

haha well Palmy would be the worst club to shop yourself to if you're chasing $$$. Not much of that floating around. All the gate-takings from Eddie's appearances (apparently crowds have been amazing) would just be going to balancing our finances. Not much to lure in any other players. Not surprised PINTS can afford him - they're another one with a club house/pokies