Toast Nth Melbourne pubs

Remove this Banner Ad

I always suspected I was born 20 years too late. Would have been some ripping times at the pubs around North in the 70’s and early 80’s.

It was different. If you're not of a "fragile" nature (which I suspect is the case), then you would have had some fun.

Drinking in the Courthouse on a lazy Sunday afternoon watching railway detonators going off underneath the trams was a relaxing fun filled way to wind down after a big day/night out from the football.

Now you would have ASIO cordoning off the entire city!

It was different. If you're not of a "fragile" nature (which I suspect is the case), then you would have had some fun.

Drinking in the Courthouse on a lazy Sunday afternoon watching railway detonators going off underneath the trams was a relaxing fun filled way to wind down after a big day/night out from the football.

Now you would have ASIO cordoning off the entire city!

Courthouse mixed grill $2.50. That'd fill you up.

Agree on both. Three Crowns is a nice-looking joint in a great spot but it lacks soul.

Town Hall is cool. I saw some really excellent gigs there back in the day. Popped in there quite recently for a drink. Still a cool place.

(Public Bar is getting a little out of area but I used to see a ton of bands there, too. Was a good pub in the days before it got hijacked by hipster backpacker types.)

Had some fun nights in the Court House over the years, too.

I used to live in Chapman Street, just behind the Marco Polo (aka the Dale Buggins Memorial Inn). Lovely old flat that - as a semi-interesting aside - my housemate and I had to vacate when a certain associate of Mark Read's (let's call him 'And Andy') started turning up unannounced on our doorstep a little too frequently, armed and off his face. (Housemate was in a rocky, long-term relationship with a close family member of his.) Anyways, the Albion was the handiest pub to our flat and I spent many an hour in there, but can't say I've ever been a huge fan of the place. Although to be fair, it used to be much seedier and dingier back then.

Yeah bands used to go off at the Town Hall - it’s great seeing rock and roll in tiny little spaces imo. They aren’t all about footy but I actually don’t mind that - very happy to have tunes on and the game on tv.

Agree on public bar too - in years past their infamous Monday dollar pots night led me to make many...interesting decisions. Beer tasted revolting but getting s**t faced for ten bucks with a room full of degenerates isn’t to be sneezed at. The place could certainly go off. It does seem now that it’s just another venue serving American junk food and with lots of blokes with s**t tattoos and beards hanging around.

IMO Prudence remains the best place to drink in North Melbourne, not footy centric however. They don’t mind if you’re in your North clobber though.

Last edited:
Yeah bands used to go off at the Town Hall - it’s great seeing rock and roll in tiny little spaces imo. They aren’t all about footy but I actually don’t mind that - very happy to have tunes on and the game on tv.

Agree on public bar too - in years past their infamous Monday dollar pots night led me to make many...interesting decisions. Beer tasted revolting but getting **** faced for ten bucks with a room full of degenerates isn’t to be sneezed at. The place could certainly go off. It does seem now that it’s just another venue serving American junk food and with lots of blokes with **** tattoos and beards hanging around.

IMO Prudence remains the best place to drink in North Melbourne, not footy centric however. They don’t mind if you’re in your North clobber though.
Over summer the Public bar was grouse. Everyone would spill outside and sit down all over the footpath. You’d get a skin full and an eyeful with all the girls in short skirts.

The Railway aka "The Big House" has been shut for years.

The Sir Robert Peel is in Collingwood

- The Point on Dynon Rd (next to Tender Touch)
- The Falcons Nest (Jelly Wrestling)

- The Central Club, Royal Artillery, Royal Mail & The Spencer (technically West Melbourne)

Mulcahy's closed due to fire 25-30 years ago.

View attachment 674564

Was the Peel the one where they had a gay only policy at one stage and The Chaser tried to get the gay telly tubby in there?

From the late 80's through to the mid 90's-ish, the Carron was home to two excellent, (cult) legendary alternative music club/discos - 'The Beehive' and 'Rubber Soul'. Used to be a very cool joint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Were you any good?

If you consider the primary function of playing darts is drinking, then I was elite.

As for actually hitting the board, very ordinary.

Was the Peel the one where they had a gay only policy at one stage and The Chaser tried to get the gay telly tubby in there?

I dunno mate. They didn't cater to my interests and weren't my haunts.

Where was it TOD ?

(Not sure I'm answering this question how it was intended but....) Spencer Street. Just near Batman. (The street rather than the guy.)

Agree on both. Three Crowns is a nice-looking joint in a great spot but it lacks soul.

Town Hall is cool. I saw some really excellent gigs there back in the day. Popped in there quite recently for a drink. Still a cool place.

(Public Bar is getting a little out of area but I used to see a ton of bands there, too. Was a good pub in the days before it got hijacked by hipster backpacker types.)

Had some fun nights in the Court House over the years, too.

I used to live in Chapman Street, just behind the Marco Polo (aka the Dale Buggins Memorial Inn). Lovely old flat that - as a semi-interesting aside - my housemate and I had to vacate when a certain associate of Mark Read's (let's call him 'And Andy') started turning up unannounced on our doorstep a little too frequently, armed and off his face. (Housemate was in a rocky, long-term relationship with a close family member of his.) Anyways, the Albion was the handiest pub to our flat and I spent many an hour in there, but can't say I've ever been a huge fan of the place. Although to be fair, it used to be much seedier and dingier back then.
Seriously dude, you should write a book, and not one about the Sharpies (although I'm sure that is a good read), but one about your own life.

I'd buy it, and if you keep it to less than 200 pages, I'll read the whole thing, too.

Especially if you dedicate at least three or four chapters to how you organised Roosistence.

Some people lead more interesting lives than other people. You're one of them. And you know it.

Ha. Not sure what to say to that, but thanks. (I think.)

With the benefit of hindsight, I'd say that most of the interesting things that have happened to me over the journey have been a direct result of my ineptitude at negotiating life in a conventional manner. I highly recommend it.

Feel like I'm about to enter a more stable phase of life where writing will again become a viable option. To that end, cheers for the encouragement.

Last edited:

With the benefit of hindsight, I'd say that most of the interesting things that have happened to me over the journey have been a direct result of my ineptitude at negotiating life. I highly recommend it.

Feel like I'm about to enter a more stable phase of life where writing will again become a viable option. To that end, cheers for the encouragement.

Once you got the wife things slow down a bit. Just gotta hope she can tolerate your mates.

With the benefit of hindsight, I'd say that most of the interesting things that have happened to me over the journey have been a direct result of my ineptitude at negotiating life in a conventional manner. I highly recommend it.

Didn't you have a kid like 10 years ago? If life isn't stable now then I'd like to know what you've been up to.

Traveling Djibouti or something, perhaps.

I truly hope you do return to writing. Especially about Roosistence. If you start a crowdfunding campaign (which is something you should consider) I will happily sign up as an early supporter.

Perhaps I'm biased because I had one of the best nights of my life that night, but it strikes me that Roosistence deserves something more for posterity than a few threads on bigfooty.*

[*Same as WANM. I wish Dave or even GoKangas would write something substantial about all of that. Somebody has to have all of the emails saved somewhere. There was some epic s**t going on behind the scenes back then.]

Throw in some stuff about the standover men and drug dealers and other miscreants you met along your journeys as well, of course.

Not that all drug dealers are miscreants. You know what I mean :stern look

m2f's crowdfunding idea is a good one. I too hope TOD writes a book about Roosistence one day. It's just too great a story to not be given more attention.
And if it ever happens, I would love to see it turned into a screenplay too. The whole story would make a fantastic film, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people would go see it.

From little things, all over again....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back