Game Day Nth Melbourne V Collingwood Round 4 Sat 20 Feb. 7.15pm

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Top effort to beat the Roos. This side just keeps improving.

DidakaW for this week

5 - Molloy
4 - Davey
3 - Lambert
2 - Livingston
1 - Chiocci

Apologies to Bonnici, Schleicher and Butler.

Top effort to beat the Roos. This side just keeps improving.

DidakaW for this week

5 - Molloy
4 - Davey
3 - Lambert
2 - Livingston
1 - Chiocci

Apologies to Bonnici, Schleicher and Butler.

Lambert never stops and rarely wastes a disposal.

Her shoulder endured one hell of a fitness test last night...

I'd be surprised if she comes up next week.
Watching the replay, got a big hit in first quarter don't know how she continued as was definitely playing hurt.

I watched a bit of the Collingwood game.. and the 2nd half of the WB v Melb game.. and I don't understand what all the hype is about.. if I'm looking at quality.. the standard of play is below par to awful at times. The problem is a lack of penetration in the kick.. ordinary disposal by hand and foot particularly under pressure.. lack of pace in movement of the pill in transition and on the switch.. combine all 3 and you've got a game that resembles rugby union.

Possitives.. did see some quality contested marks.. endeavour.. pressure.. commitment.. courage.. off the charts.

Don't want to get all Brunswick St about it.. it's got a long way to go.
There's been a massive improvement, but there's still a fair way to go.

Dynamics

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Schleicher is killing it this season

To think we dont have Ash Brazil in either , who was without a doubt one of our top 4 or 5 players in last couple of seasons

I've just been thinking the same thing... Imagine a backline with Schleicher AND Ash bursting through the lines. Frightening.

Schleicher has become such a weapon, she's so damaging and instigates so much run out of the backline. Awesome

Every year the standard gets higher and also a number have only come into football over the past few years.

A high number of the women were elite in another sport e.g. Netball, Basketball, Hockey etc. before AFL.

Maybe the League introduced some teams too early as it diluted the pool.

Every year the standard gets higher and also a number have only come into football over the past few years.

A high number of the women were elite in another sport e.g. Netball, Basketball, Hockey etc. before AFL.

Maybe the League introduced some teams too early as it diluted the pool.

It seems to me that the current make up of AFLW teams includes:

The old guard. Good footballers who were already playing, were known, and were in the 25-35 age group when selected in the first year, 2017. Many of the older ones have left the comp. Our co-captain Chiocci was in her late 20s (I think) when selected and is still hanging in there.

The athletes from other sports. Mixed success, but these girls were getting picked up by clubs from the beginning and I expect will continue to be. Who could blame them for trying out footy? Thank God Sharni put her hand up!

The young guard. The way of the future for the AFLW. Girls who’ve played footy right the way through and are simply good - or outstanding - footballers. Clubs can’t get enough of them, as they make their way onto lists through the various pathways.

Should the Irish girls have their own category?:p

The comp is still dynamic, still settling into its own skin. The quality of the women’s game will vary for a while yet. Even AFL clubs still have varying quality. Luckily for us, Carlton is a shining example of the latter.:)

I don't remember any of season 1.

What I saw on the weekend.. wasn't good. Perhaps if the game becomes full time or near enough to it.. we might see better quality.
I watched about 20 minutes in year 1. This is the first year since that I've watched any, I've been really impressed by the standard this year. I had very low expectations. Year 1 was bad.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
I watched about 20 minutes in year 1. This is the first year since that I've watched any, I've been really impressed by the standard this year. I had very low expectations. Year 1 was bad.

I don't think we'll ever see its potential until it becomes FT. How one manages that.. I don't know. At the moment.. can't say I'm impressed by the standard.. rather the moments of brilliance.. ala the Molloy snap.. that was outstanding.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I watched a bit of the Collingwood game.. and the 2nd half of the WB v Melb game.. and I don't understand what all the hype is about.. if I'm looking at quality.. the standard of play is below par to awful at times. The problem is a lack of penetration in the kick.. ordinary disposal by hand and foot particularly under pressure.. lack of pace in movement of the pill in transition and on the switch.. combine all 3 and you've got a game that resembles rugby union.

Possitives.. did see some quality contested marks.. endeavour.. pressure.. commitment.. courage.. off the charts.

Don't want to get all Brunswick St about it.. it's got a long way to go.

Youve essentially described some of the mens games last year. Who are full time athletes on a ridiculous amount of money more than the girls

People need to lower expectations of what they expect the comp to be. When its minimal wage , not even half a year long season. Its the best thing to happen to australian sport in a long time. To finally have an end goal and pathway for young girls to achieve their dreams of playing AFL

I don't think we'll ever see its potential until it becomes FT. How one manages that.. I don't know. At the moment.. can't say I'm impressed by the standard.. rather the moments of brilliance.. ala the Molloy snap.. that was outstanding.
Don't know. I think going full time has made the men's game less attractive a spectacle - despite the increased skill. Get them back on Friday night beers and mid game ciggies so that they can't flood backwards and forwards all game like rugby.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Youve essentially described some of the mens games last year. Who are full time athletes on a ridiculous amount of money more than the girls

People need to lower expectations of what they expect the comp to be. When its minimal wage , not even half a year long season. Its the best thing to happen to australian sport in a long time. To finally have an end goal and pathway for young girls to achieve their dreams of playing AFL

Mate.. I've dropped everything to take my niece to training.. plays for Bulleen.. and was invited to some academy before covid hit.. I'm all for that.. but I'm talking about an entirely different thing all together.

I think that the AFLW comp was expanded too quickly, but it's hard not to notice and be impressed by the increased standard of general play.

Plenty of people have pointed out the impact of younger players, the immediate influence of young women who've had the benefit of a clearer pathway. An ABC article also makes the point:

But the standard of 'veteran' players has also lifted, some more noticeably (e.g. Ruby Schleicher) than others.

And the adherence to tactics has helped, not least the discipline of players to stay off the contest and create a lot more outside options.

I think it's okay to advocate for full professionalism, because the players themselves would welcome that and it'd undoubtedly raise the level and esteem of AFLW, but the quality is certainly on the up.

This is probably not the place for such discussions, but what can I do?

Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
Coaches votes. Bonnici is 4th and Davey is 5th on the overall leaderboard.

North Melbourne v Collingwood

10 Brianna Davey (COLL)
7 Chloe Molloy (COLL)
4 Jaimee Lambert (COLL)
3 Brittany Bonnici (COLL)
2 Jasmine Garner (NMFC)
2 Ruby Schleicher (COLL)
1 Stacey Livingstone (COLL)
1 Kaitlyn Ashmore (NMFC)

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mate.. I've dropped everything to take my niece to training.. plays for Bulleen.. and was invited to some academy before covid hit.. I'm all for that.. but I'm talking about an entirely different thing all together.

I understand that.

What are your expectations for this season of aflw? What are people expecting from an amatuer league womens competition that is in its infancy.

For me its a good contest and progressively better skills each year. Youth to come through and shine. Cross code athletes making an impact.

Hey Vicky Park, it was No.2 Bannister who was punch happy. She was reported but got a reprimand.

Daria Bannister, North Melbourne, has been charged with Engaging in Rough Conduct against Jordyn Allen, Collingwood, during the third quarter of the Round Four match between North Melbourne and Collingwood, played at Marvel Stadium on Saturday February 20.

In summary, she can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Low Impact and High Contact. The incident was classified as a $400 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

augie

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am a very keen follower of the team this year. I get what some are saying about the overall standard, but you have to assess it year on year to fully appreciate it. This year's games have been a giant leap forward in my opinion.

There are still a lot of players that you can see have only picked up the game in recent years. They have fairly awkward kicking actions and don't get much penetration. But they will continue to fall into the minority as those who have played the game all their lives start to filter through. That is when the standard will accelerate.

On the real question, which is how is our team going and how far can they go, I think we are a very good chance of winning the whole thing. We have probably the best balanced team in the competition with high quality talent on each line. We are playing a style of football that I would love to see our men's team take on. You can see they are a very tight knit group. And we have Davey. And we have Molloy. Anytime those two are playing I feel we are more likely to win than not.

I'm genuinely loving this season and I have also noticed an improvement to the skills and it makes for some entertaining football.

Lots to like about our players, our game plan and our ball movement. We spread well, move the ball quick and aren't afraid to back our skills which have for the most part paid off!

Schleicher has been our best defender down back and her size and agility makes her a really unique penetrating player from CHB. Really fun to watch.

Molloy is all class and oozes talent. Her underlying confidence gives me the same sense that Pendlebury does. She's just as dually gifted at both forward and midfield that i have the same attitude towards De Goey as I do Molloy. I so wish we had another really reliable forward up top which allows Molloy to be released in the midfield. If you see Molloy around the ball she'll most likely win the contest and make the right decision.

Bri Davey has probably been the best player this season for me. Again, very reliable like Molloy. She'll most likely win the contest and make the right decision. I would argue she's the most important player in our team, she's the engine of the midfield.

Bonnici is another one that always finds herself in the right spot just when we needed a contest won or a disposal made to open up the contest going forward or stopping the opposition from opening up the player. Her and Lambert, particularly this game, are our best decision makers. Also, really enjoying Lambert playing more midfield. Am I right that she was a forward or has she always been a midfielder?

Lastly I wanted to mention Ash Sheridan, who has been an absolute delight to watch up forward with her speed, and maybe I'm being small minded to be surprised because she's Irish, but how good her ball handling and decision making is.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I understand that.

What are your expectations for this season of aflw? What are people expecting from an amatuer league womens competition that is in its infancy.

For me its a good contest and progressively better skills each year. Youth to come through and shine. Cross code athletes making an impact.

How does one open the game up when kicking is an issue.. accuracy and penetration.. it becomes a game played with a good amount of players congregating in one section of the pitch. It's a difficult task having to hit targets moving forward with 15-30 m kicks.. the play will inevitably break down.. I think that will always be a problem going forward regardless of professionalism.

IMO the problem with year 1 was that teams started trying to follow AFL gameplans using AFLW athletes. The teams that enjoyed early success were the ones who learnt quickly about what gameplan worked best with the capability of their players.

And the capability of players varied wildly. It included a marquee player who owned goal kicking records in the lower comp, but couldn’t translate that to senior level. It included a tennis coach with a famous surname in AFL journalism circles who had a chance encounter with Gillon McLaughlan who suggested she give AFLW a crack. We had a footy boss who had cold called the club and asked “Hey, do you need a footy boss for ya women’s team?”.

Today our AFLW operation looks more organised and less like a reality TV experiment.

I’m not so interested in what the standard is or isn’t today ...

... what’s exciting is to see how much better the standard is compared with yesterday, and to imagine how much better it will be tomorrow.

IMO the problem with year 1 was that teams started trying to follow AFL gameplans using AFLW athletes. The teams that enjoyed early success were the ones who learnt quickly about what gameplan worked best with the capability of their players.

And the capability of players varied wildly. It included a marquee player who owned goal kicking records in the lower comp, but couldn’t translate that to senior level. It included a tennis coach with a famous surname in AFL journalism circles who had a chance encounter with Gillon McLaughlan who suggested she give AFLW a crack. We had a footy boss who had cold called the club and asked “Hey, do you need a footy boss for ya women’s team?”.

Today our AFLW operation looks more organised and less like a reality TV experiment.

I’m not so interested in what the standard is or isn’t today ...

... what’s exciting is to see how much better the standard is compared with yesterday, and to imagine how much better it will be tomorrow.
Yeah. The improvement has been awesome. In Year 1, I thought jeez they've gone too early with televising this. I t turned me off and I thought that it would turn everybody off. But in retrospect, I don't think it'd be where it is now if they hadn't gone early - before the game was ready. Connecting it to existing clubs with a supporter base was a bloody good move too.

Another tick for Gil. He's unpopular, but I think he's an awesome leader.

Last edited:
Back