Physics Nuclear fusion

Nuclear fusion is...

• The future energy source

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • An expensive dead end

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

For decades, physicists have been interested in nuclear fusion as a powerful but relatively clean energy source.

The most likely process we can exploit is: Deuterium + Tritium > Helium + Neutron + energy (!!!)

Unfortunately this requires extremely high temperatures and plasma density for long enough to produce a continuous fusion reaction - see Lawson criterion. The news last week from China is that their experimental tokamak reactor achieved a plasma temperature of 100,000,000°C (while the Sun's core is only 15,000,000°C and uses a three stage process to fuse hydrogen into helium) for 10 seconds:

China's 'artificial sun' reaches 100 million degrees Celsius marking milestone for nuclear fusion

China Just Set A New Nuclear Fusion Record By Reaching Temperatures Of 100 Million Degrees

I see two long term possibilities; if this research is successful, nuclear fusion could be our main energy source.

It's also possible renewables will be developed to the point where other energy sources become obsolete.

Fusion would be far more efficient and cleaner than our current setup. It has so many useful applications too - space probes with fusion generators could go faster and further, manned trips to Mars, whilst still taking a while, would be much more feasible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a dream yes. I have no doubt a dream that will one day become reality. It is our destiny.
Unfortunately i wouldnt hold your breath,. Fusion has been "around the corner one day" for 50 yrs.
The ITER project in France is however one of the most important projects humans have ever embarked upon. Should be about half built by now i imagine.
Was on the news maybe a yr ago that Trump dropped another 100m euro's into it cos it was running tight on cash. No idea how that could happen with countries like China Russia Japan Korea etc involved. Maybe the consortium is getting cold feet i dont know.
Even when compete though the Deuterium Tritium process you talk of may not happen before another 20+yrs if ever.
Lockheed Martin in the States apparently registered another patent for a mini fusion reactor not long ago with a different way of generating the mag field.

I have no idea why we cannot get a proper debate on Nuclear Power going in this country. We have always been the ultimate candidate for it.
Just need some regressive Green flogs to admit they have cost us dearly, were a complete disaster for the nation during the 80's (and still are) and just get the hell out the way of our nations progress.

Fusion would be far more efficient and cleaner than our current setup. It has so many useful applications too - space probes with fusion generators could go faster and further, manned trips to Mars, whilst still taking a while, would be much more feasible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard using negative matter being used as an energy source for interstellar travel

Not space probes. Even if sustained fusion is perfected, look at the size of these tokamaks - good luck scaling one down to fit inside a space probe! It wouldn't be worth the trouble in any case as the energy requirements wouldn't be high enough. Maybe for a large spaceship carrying people on a long voyage, something the size of the Enterprise (>200 metres) with anti-gravity and warp drives... and I'm getting carried away :D

I heard using negative matter being used as an energy source for interstellar travel
Antimatter has been produced with great difficulty - in tiny quantities and at enormous cost. It's unlikely to ever be viable.

Antimatter has been produced with great difficulty - in tiny quantities and at enormous cost. It's unlikely to ever be viable.

I believe I heard that it naturally exists in space.

So it is a matter of finding a way to harvest it whilst travelling in space and then use it as a fuel.

Not space probes. Even if sustained fusion is perfected, look at the size of these tokamaks - good luck scaling one down to fit inside a space probe! It wouldn't be worth the trouble in any case as the energy requirements wouldn't be high enough. Maybe for a large spaceship carrying people on a long voyage, something the size of the Enterprise (>200 metres) with anti-gravity and warp drives... and I'm getting carried away :D

Ah, FTL... truly a Holy Grail!

Construction has begun! Trials are at least 5 years away, but the scientists expect to produce 10 times as much power (500 MW) as what they put in (50 MW). The plasma in the core (at about 150 million degrees Celsius) will be contained by 3000 tonnes of cryo-cooled superconducting magnets.

Construction has begun! Trials are at least 5 years away, but the scientists expect to produce 10 times as much power (500 MW) as what they put in (50 MW). The plasma in the core (at about 150 million degrees Celsius) will be contained by 3000 tonnes of cryo-cooled superconducting magnets.

There's been a gag for the last 60 years.

I'm very confident we will have nuclear fusion in 20 years.....

One day they'll crack it, I suspect I won't see it.

There's been a gag for the last 60 years.

I'm very confident we will have nuclear fusion in 20 years.....

One day they'll crack it, I suspect I won't see it.
It's the "Are we there yet?" of energy production! I still think nuclear fission can be a big part of the solution (depending on the country).

It's the "Are we there yet?" of energy production! I still think nuclear fission can be a big part of the solution (depending on the country).
Yes, they certainly could.
Being a space cadet, albeit an old one, I wanted to see them power spacecraft, the 'Fusion drive' of SF. I certainly wont live longer enough to see that (sadly)

Just saw a youtube video by my favourite scientist for explaining the difference between actual science, and bullshit, and she has had a look at fusion.

Concisely explained, very little actual science in it, as its the bullshit REPORTING of fusion she is going after, not the science itself, and unfortunately, we can probably put fusion back on the shelf as a solution to our woes, for a VERY long time.

Its worth a watch if your interested in fusion (her other videos are worth watching to).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back