Opinion Number 1 pick

Who should we pick as the number 1 pick?

• Hugh McCluggage

Votes: 149 53.2%
  • Andrew McGrath

Votes: 131 46.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
hung5j.png

Thank god you made that thread earlier Doss

I thought he let it slip when he said "imagine if we got a Luke Hodge type of leader" . McGrath has been acknowledged for his leadership skills right through the process. Also just looking at that photo this morning of both McGrath and McCluggage at the SCG, there isn't much difference in height between them which surprised me.
I was a McCluggage fan but I don't think he will slot straight into our starting line up where as I think McGrath may do. Either way it's exciting times to be a bomber fan !.

Crafty bugger is Dodo.

More hints he drops about McGrath, the more I lean towards him picking Setterfield.
His reputation precedes him :laughing: He could be entirely genuine one year and people would still think there was some form of bluff/double-bluff/triple-bluff going on haha.

Wtf is the point of dropping hints when you've got the first pick? Dodo must be wearing too many jackets today
Judging by the photos and videos today, he's not wearing one at all! #nojacketnofunction

I thought he let it slip when he said "imagine if we got a Luke Hodge type of leader" . McGrath has been acknowledged for his leadership skills right through the process. Also just looking at that photo this morning of both McGrath and McCluggage at the SCG, there isn't much difference in height between them which surprised me.
I was a McCluggage fan but I don't think he will slot straight into our starting line up where as I think McGrath may do. Either way it's exciting times to be a bomber fan !.

Looking at the two, McCluggage's great strength is his goal kicking but for the first time in years we have really promising forward line, with McGrath, he basically would fill James Kelly's spot when he retires.

I've been in the McCluggage camp but watching the highlights above, there is just something about how McGarth attacks a contest, the way he wins the contest and without appearing to sprint, he finds space, the only thing lacking from the highlights is him pinging a goal or two.

Looking at the two, McCluggage's great strength is his goal kicking but for the first time in years we have really promising forward line, with McGrath, he basically would fill James Kelly's spot when he retires.

I've been in the McCluggage camp but watching the highlights above, there is just something about how McGarth attacks a contest, the way he wins the contest and without appearing to sprint, he finds space, the only thing lacking from the highlights is him pinging a goal or two.
Agree mate, I also think that McGrath's speed is the x factor. If he is to play in the midfield at a later stage as expected it is something which we dont have with our current crop of onballers. The guy on SEN with the Olympic background (Colbert)said he couldn't beleive how fast he was at a trial earlier this year and if truth be known we are a tad slow at the moment.

sup mates! Been awol soz. I've been keeping tabs on both Clugga and McGrath though, I made a few videos if you're interested.

Can't lose either way, Andy can jump in round 1 and do some serious damage with his speed and contested ball ability. Hugh will be the slower burn but has genuine elite footy IQ that you can't teach, watches the play unfold in slow motion and uses that to his advantage opposed to Andy's relentless attack.

Looking forward to 2017 I think we're going to surprise a few people. Walla still my boy go dons mate!

Great vids mate.

I don't think we should be concerned by McGrath's height. He looks very competent overhead and has good core strength to hold position. He will play taller than most 179cm guys much like Mark Mercuri. I never thought he was 178cm the way he played.

I think McGrath is our man. He could really be anything. My main concern with players who rely on speed is that They may struggle to adapt their game as they get older and their speed diminishes. I don't think this will be a problem for McGrath who seems driven and has footy smarts.

McClug is definitely gifted but so was Travis Johnstone.

Great vids mate.

I don't think we should be concerned by McGrath's height. He looks very competent overhead and has good core strength to hold position. He will play taller than most 179cm guys much like Mark Mercuri. I never thought he was 178cm the way he played.

I think McGrath is our man. He could really be anything. My main concern with players who rely on speed is that They may struggle to adapt their game as they get older and their speed diminishes. I don't think this will be a problem for McGrath who seems driven and has footy smarts.

McClug is definitely gifted but so was Travis Johnstone.

Speed diminishes? I recall a very old fletcher running down Garlett - never lost his pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to have you back mate!
Nice vids btw. Any preference between the two? I've given up trying to work out who I prefer. Heart says Clugg, head says McGrath... and SPS.
yo mate! imo which shouldn't account for much, McCluggage looks to have the higher ceiling due to his lack of preseason and physical attributes, if he had an inside game on par with McGrath I'd happily say Hugh. In saying that McGrath will be a deadset gun, so it would be a risk drafting Hugh on potential.

Andy's extremely good around the stoppage, people seem caught up with his speed and defensive work but he's very much a genuine midfielder and dangerous when in close. If he had the finishing finesse of Hugh I'd say without a doubt McGrath #1.

Alas we don't live in a perfect world so all things considered I'd pick McCluggage for his potential upside and then regret my decision 30 seconds later.

TL;DR nfi

yo mate! imo which shouldn't account for much, McCluggage looks to have the higher ceiling due to his lack of preseason and physical attributes, if he had an inside game on par with McGrath I'd happily say Hugh. In saying that McGrath will be a deadset gun, so it would be a risk drafting Hugh on potential.

Andy's extremely good around the stoppage, people seem caught up with his speed and defensive work but he's very much a genuine midfielder and dangerous when in close. If he had the finishing finesse of Hugh I'd say without a doubt McGrath #1.

Alas we don't live in a perfect world so all things considered I'd pick McCluggage for his potential upside and then regret my decision 30 seconds later.

TL;DR nfi

From the highlights above, McGarth was very good around the stoppages, some of his handballs were nice and flat to a target going forward, nice to have a mid that don't do high loopy handballs.

He does seem effortless at times, not sure if that says something about him or the opposition mids.

Can you imagine if Dodoro called out:

"The Essendon Football club nominate Hughy McGraggage with the first round selection".

Then up comes a hybrid of the McGrath & McCluggage coming up on stage to take a photo with Worsfold, with Dank walking next to the kid with his arm around him.

#hurryupdraft #losingmyshite #wtf #lol

Man you are ******* peaking, hey. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back