Number 32 - Stephen Hill (pick 3 2008 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes i know not another Hill thread, but it seems we have locked him in.

I dont know how i'm going to react to seeing this kid run around in purple.
I have had my heart set on Daniel Rich since the very start of the season and have followed him along the way with the hopes that we would get him somehow.
Now we are in perfect position to get him and instead we overlook him for another kid. Personally i'm dissapointed and dont know how i will like Hill. I think i could find myself comparing him to Rich his entire career and that could lead to a massive dissapointment or in the case Hill turns out a star that obviously will be very pleased.

I'm @ odds with myself at the moment.

Re: Stephen Hill

Yes i know not another Hill thread, but it seems we have locked him in.

I have had my heart set on Daniel Rich since the very start of the season and have followed him along the way with the hopes that we would get him somehow.
Now we are in perfect position to get him and instead we overlook him for another kid. Personally i'm dissapointed and dont know how i will like Hill. I think i could find myself comparing him to Rich his entire career and that could lead to a massive dissapointment or in the case Hill turns out a star that obviously will be very pleased.

I'm @ odds with myself at the moment.
That's your problem, what would you like all of us to do? You're too far away for me to give you a pat on the back and give some helpful advice like "get over it mate, life goes on".

That's your problem, what would you like all of us to do? You're too far away for me to give you a pat on the back and give some helpful advice like "get over it mate, life goes on".

I was actually hoping to get some thought on how everyone else was feeling about this selection. The other threads are all mumbled with crap.

Thats the way i see this going with Hill, we get one of these types IMO.

JON: Hopeless
Wells: Exciting, but inconsistent.
McLeod: Superstar

You could do the exact same thing with any other possibly draftee.

Watts could be a Pavlich / Riewoldt, or he could be a James Sellar.
Naitanui could be a Cox, or a Fraser.
Rich could be a superstar, or he could be a Sylvia or even a Hurn.

Nobody is a certain future superstar. If the people in charge think Hill is the best player for Fremantle, then he obviously must be. They will know a lot more about Rich and Hill than anyone else, so there would be a very good reason if we take Hill over Rich.

You could do the exact same thing with any other possibly draftee.

Watts could be a Pavlich / Riewoldt, or he could be a James Sellar.
Naitanui could be a Cox, or a Fraser.
Rich could be a superstar, or he could be a Sylvia or even a Hurn.

Nobody is a certain future superstar. If the people in charge think Hill is the best player for Fremantle, then he obviously must be. They will know a lot more about Rich and Hill than anyone else, so there would be a very good reason if we take Hill over Rich.

Thats exactly what i have been told by a lot of WAFL guys this week, Rich seems to be a shannon hurn type, amazing kick, reasonable pace, not much else. Kick is awesome but in modern footy he wont be able to do enough to win games of footy and thats what your number 3 pick is supposed to be, a match winner... Hill seems to be the one who has the match winning qualities, rich has too much brendon goddard written all over him...

Somebody mentioned it in another thread but i agree, im sick of us getting burned off subi by teams like richmond, the bulldogs and hawthorn who smoked us off our own track with pace... rich wont help that

Like everyone else, i have been wary of all this talk of Stephen Hill... but the more i think about it, the more i think it could be a good move.. or at least, not a step backwards from taking Rich.

Rich may have an awesome left foot.. but if your only getting it 12-15 times running thru the middle, your gonna be hard pressed to influence many games... Hill has the pace and work ethic to slot nicely into our existing midfield and compliment the players that are already there. In other words.. they may be on the same level in football quality, or even Rich slightly ahead.. but Hill i think is more what we need/are looking for going forward (to coin a extremely overused CC line)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats exactly what i have been told by a lot of WAFL guys this week, Rich seems to be a shannon hurn type, amazing kick, reasonable pace, not much else. Kick is awesome but in modern footy he wont be able to do enough to win games of footy and thats what your number 3 pick is supposed to be, a match winner... Hill seems to be the one who has the match winning qualities, rich has too much brendon goddard written all over him...

Somebody mentioned it in another thread but i agree, im sick of us getting burned off subi by teams like richmond, the bulldogs and hawthorn who smoked us off our own track with pace... rich wont help that

You say this, but yet we have seen Rich win matches of his own boot in the WAFL, whereas Hill hasn't done that yet...

Just trust the recruitment team, they are experts and watch all the games, we have made some ordinary trades but have usually drafted well.

It most likely all bullshit anyway, the West Australian FFS.

You say this, but yet we have seen Rich win matches of his own boot in the WAFL, whereas Hill hasn't done that yet...

Haven't seen rich win a game of footy at all off his own boot in WAFL...

He was good against Souths a few rounds before the end of the season but certainly didn't win the game...

Hill just about got the Falcons over the line against a team with Nat, Yarran, Pearce, Walters etc. all playing

If fremantle's coaching staff dont want rich with the pick, then i dont want rich with the pick...

Ohh they better get this right, ill have faith in those recruiters for now but in a couple of seasons daniel rich is an elite midfielder and hill is mid range ill lose it.

Do you think Curley is involved?

"Slapstick Drafting" would be a a very funny headline in 3 years.

But... I am backing the recruiting staff, we obviously need speed in the middle - now ibbo, hinkley (similar pick out of nowhere) and hill means we have it on the rise.

I am going to back Hill. :thumbsu:

Let's be honest, most, if not all of us don't watch these guys even half as much as our recruiting team does. So we have to have faith.

But I will echo:
If in a couple of seasons daniel rich is an elite midfielder and hill is mid range ill lose it.

There seems to be a lot of guys on here who are bloody experts but probably watch only 1 or 2 games of footy every weekend. The recruiters watch 3 or 4 games per weekend every weekend plus heaps of footage/replays during week. Lets just trust there judgement whoever we get at 3 or any other pick and get behind and love them like we do all the other purple warriors!

Exactly.

I've seen Hill close down good opponents at WAFL level, thats his job and he does it well. He goes to a player, treks them and keeps them out of the game.

Rich is the bloke who has someone trotting over to him, why?

He can turn a match.

Bit stupid to say he can kick and that's it. He's got good hands in close, reads the play well and is good defensively around the clearance.

Forget Rich - there is no scope for improvement there...but Hill - have you guys seen his efforts in the U/18's & in the finals for West Perth? The guy is quick, can take a mark, courageous, raking left foot, but unlike a Heath Black can actually kick on his right very well also.....very happy with Hill if it falls that way. :thumbsu:

I mean everyone likes Rich mainly due to his superb foot skills - Hill is very good kick also...maybe Rich is the new Shannon Hurn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back