Number 33 - Ben Bucovaz (pick 56 2008 ND)

Remove this Banner Ad

Side Bet

Senior List
Sep 12, 2008
Carlton
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ben in footy showcase July 16th, 2008
11ben_%28350_x_438%29.jpg
Busy: Ben Bucovaz is juggling his football commitments with VCE studies.

TALENTED 17-year-old footballer Ben Bucovaz was one of five Geelong-based footballers to play for Victoria Country in the under-18 national championships.
The competition showcases the nation's best young footballers against each other in front of the watchful eye of AFL club recruiters.
The rise up the ranks has been quick for Bucovaz, earning selection in the squad after just his second year in the system.
His selection led him to debut for the Big V against Western Australia at Subiaco oval.
"I was really nervous at the start," Bucovaz said.
"But once you get to meet the guys and realise that we are all there to win, the nervousness went away.
"It was a fantastic experience, and my football will be better for it."
While Bucovaz was rotated on and off quite a bit, he still managed to kick a goal in Victoria Country's upset win over the powerful Western Australia.
The modest Bucovaz said that while it was an honour, he's taking his football one step at a time.
"I don't have any real expectations of myself," he said.
"I just want to go out and have a bit of my fun with my mates and play a bit of footy.
"I'll let my football do the talking, and if something comes of that then that would be great."
Juggling VCE and football has become a major part of Bucovaz's life with both taking up a lot of his spare time.
"The week days are pretty full," Bucovaz said.
"I have football three times a week, which means I go directly from school to Falcons and I won't be home until eight or nine o'clock at night.
"If I am not doing something to do with school or footy, then I like to sit down and watch a bit of TV."
While a groin injury forced Bucovaz out of the carnival early, his sights are now firmly on helping the Falcons to the grand final.
"I can't wait to go back and play some footy with the guys," he said.
"Hopefully we can knock off some of the top teams and make our way into the finals.
"That is all that matters to me right now."
By Ryan Reynolds

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2008/07/16/16109_geelong_sport.html

Re: Ben Bucovaz

Haha I was just about to post my Article in this thread, but you beat me to it.

Ben is a great bloke and a ripping player!

Thanks Vortex, in my hurry to beat Rizzo to the punch failed to delete it from the thread. But at least you got a large picture featuring his corker of a mug.

Good luck to Benny was at his house last night for his brothers birthday so was a happy household at the Bucovaz's thats for sure.

Good luck to Benny was at his house last night for his brothers birthday so was a happy household at the Bucovaz's thats for sure.
Good stuff. :thumbsu:

I'm glad they're happy. Will make it much easier for him to enjoy it here, if they are happy for him to be here.

Re: Number TBA - Ben Bucovaz (pick 56 2008)

"Bucovaz said Fremantle's coaching staff made a good impression on him when he spoke with them at October's draft camp in Canberra.

"I got along really well with them so I thought that I would love going over to WA to play footy. I'm really rapt to be going there," Bucovaz said.

Bucovaz 2008 Highlights

[youtube]VfB3q2X8660[/youtube]

FFC.com.au profile on Bucovaz
The club’s sixth pick (No. 56 overall) brought Geelong Falcons utility Ben Bucovaz to Fremantle.

Ben represented Vic Country in 2006 in the U16 National Championships and in 2008 in the U18 National Championships.

A genuine utility, Ben is capable of playing midfield, forward and back. He reads the game well, makes good decisions and is a beautiful kick of the football. When in the contests he fights to win the ball and applies good pressure.

Brad Lloyd on Bucovaz:
Selection No.56: Benjamin Bucovaz
Geelong Falcons, VIC, Medium defender/forward, November 2 1990, 188cm, 88kg
"He's another who can play tall forward but also go back as well and also have a run on the ball. He'll cover a number of areas for us."

AFL.com.au on Bucovaz

Date of birth: 2/11/90
Height: 188cm
Weight: 88kg
Club: Geelong Falcons

Bio: A medium defender/forward with a long and penetrating kick, Bucovaz reads the play well and is a good kick for goal. He also represented Vic Country in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

Vic Country coach Robert Hyde says: Ben Bucovaz played one game and he’s pretty handy. I remember he kicked the first goal and he was fairly lively. He strained his groin and he wasn’t available for the next two games, but he’s hard at it, he’s got good hands, he’s strong through the midfield with his attack on the ball. He just needs to work on his first five metres. He’d be suited to playing half-back to half-forward and could roll into the middle.

2008 Stats:
Code:
[/B] [B]NAB AFL Under 18 Championships[/B] 

[B]Team[/B] [B]Mt[/B] [B]K[/B] [B]HB[/B] [B]D[/B] [B]M[/B] [B]HO[/B] [B]T[/B] [B]G[/B] 
Vic Country 1 4.0 1.0 5.0 1.0 0.0 2.0 1.0

Gilly1972 on Bucovaz:

I know one of our scouts was a fan of Buca, he would have been in the mix for us at 40 had we not received an early christmas present ;) Can play forward or back, but I like him as a medium forward.......strong on the lead, good leap and great hands. Spent time across HB for Geelong too, and he strikes me as the Grant Birchall rebounding HBF type. Perhaps lacks half a yard is my only blight.

In the wash up I had Buco rated about 37 on my list

Of the three I think Buca is most likely to play senior footy first.

HBF on Bucovaz:
Bucovaz is a medium forward who is averaging 4 marks and 1.7 goals a game at TAC level. Despite predominantly playing forward he has also played a variety of roles at TAC including across HB. He isn’t express, but quick enough as a lead-up forward and he leads with purpose and has a nice powerful leap and soft hands. Will put his head over the ball and doesn’t mind the physical stuff. Good right foot kick and nice set shot for goal.

macca69 on Bucovaz

Ben Bucavaz

Haven't seen much of him, but what I have seen he goes alright. Has played a lot of footy this year as an undersized FF. Where he's been able to utililize his footy smarts, kicking and marking ability. Is quite competitive and plays with good intensity when the ball is in his vicinity. His decision making is good (particularly around goals) and always seems to have time in possession He can look lazy at times off the ball, but I think that's because he has a poor endurance base (don't think he did a pre-season this year). Moves well for his size without being quick or athletic. Needs to be cleaner below his knees in order to develop into a medium forward at AFL level.

2007 / 2008 TAC Cup Stats: http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...D=187106324&client=1-3020-27608-67827-8059232

2008 AFL DC Results:

188.4cm (52%)
88.2kg (86%)
89.7mm S7 skinfolds (3%)
21.3cm handpsan (15%)
84.6 arm length (65%)
58cm standing VJ (34%)
74cm RF running VJ (66%)
79cm LF running VJ (57%)
1.17s 5m (13%) 1.90s 10m (9%) 3.14s (11%)
26.31s repeat sprint (48%)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This kid has the potential to be very good. Obviously needs to work on his skin folds but the ability is there. Great pickup at 56.

BUCOVAZBen_246a.jpg

from fremantlefc.com.au:

Ben Bucovaz - Hip - 3 Weeks

Allocated to Claremont in the WAFL, hopefully he's not stuck in the reserves with Sibo...:(

I just watched this guys you tube clip and i gotta say i am really impressed .

He already has better skills than most of our players . He knows when to release the ball and seems to move effortlessly .

Fast track him to the team I say !! dont delay he could be really good. He's already got the size and is only 18 . Get him out you goof balls. We have Hill and Suban who are physically still boys and coping quite well .

A tallish big bloke with skills we got lots of those!:eek:#*

The thing that impresses me about the draft is that although we drafted 14 new players, all of them look like they could at least make their debut for freo. In years gone past players like edgecumbe, doswell etc never even made it close to debuting, whilst this year, potenitally all draftees could.

I'm interested to see how he goes when he gets back to full fitness...

Played his first or second game in the reserves last weekend. Pretty solid too - 19 touches I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back