Number 35 - Tim Ruffles (pick 68 2008 ND)

Remove this Banner Ad

mr tickle

Debutant
Jan 8, 2008
Frankston
AFL Club
Richmond
what do we know about him?
are we happy with this choice?
i know he dominated a few tac games, with about four 5 goal hauls, including BOG in a final.
didnt do too much for NSW i hear

Re: Tim Ruffles

what do we know about him?
are we happy with this choice?
i know he dominated a few tac games, with about four 5 goal hauls, including BOG in a final.
didnt do too much for NSW i hear

personally im stoked... extremely quick, extremely fit, and has good skills, plays a variety of roles, including midfield...... ticks alot of boxes for me :thumbsu:

You can watch his video on the FFC site

So funny, he constantly burns people - and looks like a seagull unmanned in the goal square.

At one point he totally loses control of the bounce but they still can't catch him :D

Timmy's from my hometown here in the Riverina in NSW . Moved down to go to school in Bendigo last year to be in a football program .
Excellent athlete , with leap , skills , pace and a good competitive streak .

Gun junior footballer and also basketballer as well . Good kid with a good head on his shoulders . Will work hard to be the best he can .

Whether that translates to a succesful career or not I'm not sure but he is every chance I'd suggest .

Ruffles went to school in Ballarat. not bendigo. Played pretty well for his school and also dominated games for the rebels.

Were we recruiting for a basketball team or a football team? :confused:

Just the sort of player I like though. :D

Want one of our players in the 10 seconds at least, finally! :D

476154549_2ba8b8501d.jpg

mark-ruffalo.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Number TBA - Tim Ruffles (pick 68 2008)

Tim_Ruffles_Draft_246a.jpg

2008 Highlights: http://bigpondvideo.com/afl/90370

FFC.com.au on Ruffles:

North Ballarat small forward Tim Ruffles joined Fremantle when the club used its seventh pick (No. 68 overall) to draft him west.

Tim is originally from Narrandera in NSW and represented NSW in the U16 National Championships in 2006 and in the U18 National Championships in 2008. Tim’s early form in the TAC Cup was outstanding and he finished off the year with a five goal haul in North Ballarat’s last game of the year in the finals.

Tim is super quick, agile and was second, only behind Nicholas Naitanui, in the vertical jump at this year’s draft camp. He is a capable leading target but is as reliable in a crumbing role

Selection No.68: Tim Ruffles
North Ballarat, VIC, Midfielder/small forward, October 5 1990, 180cm, 67kg
"He's a small forward with really good pace and is a good kick of the footy."

AFL.com.au on Ruffles:

Date of birth: 5/10/90
Height: 180cm
Weight: 66kg
Club: North Ballarat
Bio: An extremely quick midfielder/forward who shared his football between North Ballarat Rebels and the NSW/ACT U18 program in 2008. Ruffles is a power athlete who recorded a 20m sprint time of 2.85sec and a running vertical jump of 100cm at the NAB AFL state screening session.
Stats:

Code:
[/B] [B]NAB AFL Under 18 Championships[/B] 
[B]Team[/B] [B]Mt[/B] [B]K[/B] [B]HB[/B] [B]D[/B] [B]M[/B] [B]HO[/B] [B]T[/B] [B]G[/B] 
NSW/ACT 8 4.4 1.5 5.9 1.8 0.0 1.1 0.3

Gilly1972 on Ruffles:

I didn't see a lot of Ruffles, but I think MAtt Rendel was a fan. He did spend some time in the midfield for Nth Ballarat but I see him as a smart goal-sneak who may spend some small stints in the midfield. THink Skinny Lappin, but I don't think as many tricks.

macca69 on Ruffles:

Tim Ruffles

Bit of a speculative selection as he's been a bit inconsistent this year, but gee when he's on he's good to watch. His combination of athleticism and x-factor means he has a fair bit of potential. He blitzed his SS with elite times in the top few for pace, vertical leap and agility. Best position is definitely as a small forward. He's quick off the mark and has good hands - making him hard to stop on the lead. His recovery is unbelievable, and his crumbing and goal sense is very good too. Needs to improve his work-rate, defensive pressure and consistency but has a lot of upside. Will take a while to develop, but I feel he's worth a punt late in the draft.

2008 TAC Cup Stats: http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...D=188600245&client=1-3020-27608-67827-8058800

2008 Vic SS Results:

179.5cm
66.65kg
38.6mm S7 skinfolds
23.8cm handspan
76.2 arm length
230cm standing reach
74cm standing VJ
88cm RF running VJ
100cm LF running VJ
1.05s 5m, 1.69 10m, 2.85s 20m
8.17s agility
Level 13 Shuttle 4 Beep test

Re: Number TBA - Tim Ruffles (pick 68 2008)

Sorry Mod's couldnt find the article which is in our (Ballarat) Local paper about Tim Ruffles and Nick Suban. So i'm going to link their site and type out the article.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/sport/
Hearing his name like winning a grand final.

A Telephone call from Ballarat & Clarendon College three years ago changed the life of Tim Ruffles more than he could ever habe imagined.
Up to that point, the youngster from New South Wales was like any other young Australian Rules player:

"Wouldn't it be great to play AFL?"

But that was about the extent of it.

Now Ruffles has an opportunity to make that thought a reality, having been selected by Fremantle in Saturday's AFL national draft.
The doors first opened for Ruffles when he represented the Riverina at under-16 level.

It prompted BCC to approach him about moving to Ballarat and furthering his football career with the school.

"I didn't go straight away - i waited until Year 11 (in 2007)."
Unfortunately for Ruffles, a broken ankle stalled his football career.

Consequently, although a member of the North Ballarat Rebels development squad, he did not play in the TAC Cup.

This meant it was all or nothing this year and Ruffles admits to being nervous at the start of the season - worried whether he would be able to force his way into the Rebels live-up. He did not need to worry.

He not only made the cut. but also represented NSW in the national under-18 championships. It was to be a turning point, with Fremantle sending him a letter expressing interest.

The Dockers took this a step further by interviewing him after the Rebels' final campaign ended and maintained the contact by ringing after his Year 12 exams.

Ruffles listened to the draft via the AFL website with father Tony at Narrandera. He described hearing his name called out as "amazing".

"i was jumping up and down...it was a great feeling - like winning a grand final.

"All the hard work has paid off"

For some reason he was playing in a back pocket on Kyanga for most of todays scratchie against the Sharks. Did ok at first but Kyanga cut him up in the 3rd and kicked a couple of quick goals (Kyanga is lightening when he gets off the leash!) and he was moved to the wing for the last quarter. Linked up and ran well, kicks nicely. Seems to be a good thinker, knows where to position himself and takes responsibility for making the play on the ground. Hard to say whether he would be anything more than useful at the next level at this point but will be more than handy for Perth.

Hey fella's just wounderin How ruffles went on the weekend???
playin in the 1's was he???
Hows he been goin for you boys so far? kickin any??
From what you have seen so far how far off the big time is he??

Really rufles not named at all, not for the 1's or 2's?
wat was that fella talkin bout he did his knee and he is out 4 2 years???
Did hinkley get named for freo?

Really rufles not named at all, not for the 1's or 2's?
wat was that fella talkin bout he did his knee and he is out 4 2 years???
Did hinkley get named for freo?

It had to have been easier to check the team sheets on any news website than login to bigfooty and post this in a thread about another player. Sorry, playa.

Anyway....

Ruffles sounds like he is a goer. Malaxos gave him a good wrap for his hard attack at the ball, and bloke that knocked him out got 3 weeks for it. Even mentioned as a later in the season debut chance. Nice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back