Number 47 - Jay van Berlo (Pick 62 2008 RD)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Number TBA - Jay van Berlo (Pick 62 RD)

Nice to see him in Freo colours. He'd be fairly hard at it IMO, being only slightly younger then Nathan and with a couple of years up his sleeve at WAFL level already. Gee I hope Nathan doesn't want to come to Freo now to play with his little brother.;)

No chance of that happening. van Berlo has settled in better than any interstate recruit that i can remember, plus he is the captain in waiting.

Our recruiting manager was asked about Jay in an interview and said they had no interest, so like most rookies he's up against it, but if he has the determination of his brother you never know.

A pic of JVB in action for WP:

0,,6168866,00.jpg

He was okay. Took a bit to warm up, and was a bit off with some decision making early on, but warmed up into it and looked like a decent prospect in the second quarter. He was subbed off at half time for another rookie, but was solid without being "really good" until then. For a 5th round rookie pick, you'd have to be pretty happy with him at this stage.

Played reasonably throughout the half without getting much of the footy, but did put his body on the line a few times and contested well. Probably not as impressive as pearce and especially not de boer or broughton but they did get an extra half than he did.

Nope.

Looks a bit like him in that he's blonde... but after that, I'd have to say they are physically different and play significantly differently... different roles / different levels of development... one a 5 year AFL player taken in the top 20, the other a WAFL player taken in Rd 5 of the rookie draft...

Nope.

Looks a bit like him in that he's blonde... but after that, I'd have to say they are physically different and play significantly differently... different roles / different levels of development... one a 5 year AFL player taken in the top 20, the other a WAFL player taken in Rd 5 of the rookie draft...
haha ok

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=150619

Fremantle rookie Jay van Berlo will play his first game of the year with West Perth this weekend after sitting out the first half of the season with stress fractures.

A 5th round pick in the 2009 AFL Rookie Draft, van Berlo has played 28 senior games in two seasons with the Falcons and won the club’s best and fairest award as they marched all the way to the preliminary final last year.

Good to see him back out and playing again!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great News :thumbsu:

I assume that after being B&F last year he'll come straight into the seniors?

IP: Yes, we still have out Round 11 upgrade to use.

congrats to jay van berlo
great way to debut with a packed subi and a deep fried eagle leg to go
hopefully JVB can snag a few goals

Make no mistake, this is a DT question!

Does JVB look likely to keep his spot in the team? I noticed last week he laid 6 tackles in a very low score - he can't have got too much of the pill. He looked good in the derby, but that's never an indication.

Harves has made a point of NOT dropping the youngsters this year so I reckon he will keep his spot. I believe he was drafted to come straight into the side anyhow, but given his injury problems he has had to wait.

My guess (and its only a guess) would be that he'll stay in.

P.S. - we have a DT thread on the main freo board...you might get more responses there.

One of the forgotten ones on the rookie list, interesting to see down the bottom of Pav's article on the AFL website that he lists JVB (along with Suban and DeBoer) as the 2nd year players training the house down

Interesting read, thanks for posting that.
I wonder if Hill needs a board to surf or just glides over the surface of the water :)
BB being from Geelong way probably hooks into the big stuff and hits the water here in winter like it's Hawaii.

The club have given quietly JvB a senior contract.

Rookie Fremantle defender Jay van Berlo will be rewarded for a breakthrough AFL season with elevation to the club's senior list despite missing this year's finals campaign.

Well done young man. I like him. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back