Number 8 - Nick Suban (pick 24 2008 ND)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 7, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
This kid can play. Watching some of the highlights on youtube his left foot kick looks pictureesque like black. He can hit a target off one step with a 60 metre kick. And his hands look clean. Will be uploading some more highlights on youtube quick smart.

Discuss../.

Re: Nick Suban

Suban is one of the bright spots for me.

Lovely left foot and as you can see from these vids love to lay a tackle/bump. Plus he is an accountable defender ...will help with the Riolis and Yarrans over the next 5 years you would think.

by all accounts is good at in and under type stuff too which is always a positive...also seeming as though we ahve gone for a team of sprint stars it helps to have someone to get it out.

Bit on the smallish side, but he is going to get a great education from Hayden.

:thumbsu:

[YOUTUBE]X08wv0dsM7g[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ThNnfma84ng[/YOUTUBE]

I had him as a pickup at selection 37 in Moo's draft predictor, so I was hoping we'd get him. I read a few write-ups on the potential draftees and, once I had read his, I hoped we'd grab him. Not that you can tell much from that, but he sounded like just what we were after.

At this stage, I'm rapt that he's in purple. :thumbsu:

Funny you should say that - Hurn is who he reminded me of in these clips.

There are similarities. You guys would have drafted him on the premise he will be an inside midfielder in time, a transition which does not occur easily as we have seen with Hurn and various players over the league. So it will be interesting to see what happens with Suban. At worst he will be a very good HBF though.

There are similarities. You guys would have drafted him on the premise he will be an inside midfielder in time, a transition which does not occur easily as we have seen with Hurn and various players over the league. So it will be interesting to see what happens with Suban. At worst he will be a very good HBF though.

How is hurn's disposal TOAA?

One of the positives of Suban is that with Mundy back there ...there will be a lot of accuracy coming ot of the back half.

How is hurn's disposal TOAA?

One of the positives of Suban is that with Mundy back there ...there will be a lot of accuracy coming ot of the back half.

Hurn's disposal is elite. Monster kick and very accurate. Kicked an 80m goal in the WAFL a couple of years back.

One of the reasons I drew similarities to Suban. Probably say Hurn was a marginally better kick as a junior, he was said to be one of the best junior kicks seen in a while. Suban no slouch. Suban is just a very good all rounder, not much jumps out about his game really but he can just play.

One of the positives with Sandi, Palmer, Hill, Ibbo, Hase, Pav in the middle is that the pill shouldn't spend much time in the back half (hopefully);).

Hurn's disposal is elite. Monster kick and very accurate. Kicked an 80m goal in the WAFL a couple of years back.

One of the reasons I drew similarities to Suban. Probably say Hurn was a marginally better kick as a junior, he was said to be one of the best junior kicks seen in a while. Suban no slouch. Suban is just a very good all rounder, not much jumps out about his game really but he can just play.
that about sums it up. Looks like a lock to play 150 games injuries permitting

big fan of this selection

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had him down for pick 21/24 in Moo's predicter, because after picking Hill over Rich, this guy is everything that Rich is, maybe with a little less class, but a very good consolation for missing Rich.

So effectively we get the best of both worlds with Hill and Suban!:D

Also a very big fan of this selection. Personally see it as a very difficult task making him a permanent midfielder. I reckon he could be an AA BP, kind of like Guerra but with good 5 minute runs in the middle. But how about that mark by Heyne in the second clip.:thumbsu:

Looking at the video, almost all his long kicks went to a contest and the kicks weren't favouring his team mate. I also noticed a couple of his handballs sold his mates down the tube. I realise he is a young kid, but it looks like his decision making may need a bit of work. Also, does he have a right side? We seem to have picked up a couple of very left dominant players this year.

Looking at the video, almost all his long kicks went to a contest and the kicks weren't favouring his team mate. I also noticed a couple of his handballs sold his mates down the tube. I realise he is a young kid, but it looks like his decision making may need a bit of work. Also, does he have a right side? We seem to have picked up a couple of very left dominant players this year.

In one of the clips there is a right foot kick by Suban, bout 50m i would say and hit his team mate on the tit.

I'm happy with this selection, he looks the goods.

Although i couldnt find his party last night in town, maybe he had a quiet one at home with family. (He lives in Ballarat, where i live. Its a small town :D)
Asked a bloke at work who'd seen him heaps in the TAC cup and said he is a tough hard at it player which is good :)

I had him down for pick 21/24 in Moo's predicter, because after picking Hill over Rich, this guy is everything that Rich is, maybe with a little less class, but a very good consolation for missing Rich.

So effectively we get the best of both worlds with Hill and Suban!:D

Spot on Scham :cool:

Re: Number TBA - Nick Suban (pick 24 2008)

Academy_duo(lge).jpg

Nick's the one on the left.

Another article from the local paper which i couldnt find online but i'll type the article and link the paper.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/sport/

Nick happy to go west

Nick Suban admits the thought of moving across the breadth of Australia is daunting.
However, it is an experience he is ecstatic about and he cannot wait to settle in Western Australia.

Suban said it was part of realising a dream to play AFL.
"It's something you've got to do."

Suban's place amoung the elite young footballers in the nation was confirmed when Fremantle took him at pick 24 in the AFL national draft on Saturday.

With a distinguished under-age record behind him, Suban was considered a certainty to be drafted.
It was just a matter of which club.

And like most young hopefuls, he was concerned where he might go.
"i had no idea." he said.

"I spoke to a few (clubs), but they don't give much away," the Bacchus Marsh youngster said.

"I was quite happy to go anywhere.
"I just wanted to get on a list," He said.

Suban was at home with his parents Fred and Barb, brothers Mike and Mitch, and St Patrick's College mentors Howard Clart and Andrew Chamings when he heard Fremantle call out his name.

He said his only contact with Fremantle had been a standard interview at the draft camp in Canberra.

"Other than that, i hadn't heard from them"
"I didnt have any expectations."

"Suban admitted to feeling some pressure with the North Ballarat Rebels this year on the back of an outstanding 2007 that had the football world putting sizeable expectations on his young shoulders.
Enjoy!

Btw those who haven't seen there is an article from same paper in the Tim Ruffles thread. (obviously that ones about Tim.)

Suban vs Tasmania (2008 U-18 Championships)

[youtube]X08wv0dsM7g[/youtube]

Suban 2008 Highlights:

[youtube]dyb9Letb2Q4[/youtube]

2008 AFL prospectus on Suban

Nick Suban General Defender 179cm
North Ballarat 9/05/1990 78kg

Suban averaged 19 disposals per game in the 2007 TAC Cup where his kicking efficiency of 76% ranked in the elite category. He can play all over the ground and works hard when not in possession, averaging five tackles per game last year. Suban was named in the All-Australian team at the 2007 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships where he ranked in the top three in division one in kicks, long kicks and rebound 50s and won a large portion of his possessions in an uncontested manner.

Coach Couch's consolidated draft profile:

Nick Suban - (IM / SD) 9 May 1990, 179cm 82kg. Vic Country/North Ballarat/Bacchus Marsh

"Recruiter 2: Nick Suban is a natural footballer who just knows how to give his all. He has good skills. While ineligible this year, he should be a genuine player again at the 2008 championships."

"Alan McConnell: Suban was an interesting one. He actually played on Palmer. Palmer's work-rate will be a great learning experience for Suban in terms of what you have to do to play in the midfield. He's only a bottom-age player at this stage, but it was certainly a fine lesson for him to know how hard you have to work to play in this competition and you want to be at the top end. But to his credit, he kept at it and didn't lose his composure. He continued to find the footy over the course of the game."*

"Kevin Sheehan: Left-footed, small defender/midfielder who averaged 23 disposals showing good poise and disposal skills whether in defence or midfield. Ineligible for this year's draft, he made the most of his opportunity and won Victoria Country's Most Valuable Player Award."

"???: Nick Suban - Currently year 9 at St Pats, represented Vic Country at U15 level 2005, made all australian..finds the ball endlessly and all round freak show."

"Nicko4: Suban averaged 19 disposals per game in the 2007 TAC Cup where his kicking efficiency of 76% ranked in the elite category. He can play all over the ground and works hard when not in possession, averaging five tackles per game last year. Suban was named in the All-Australian team at the 2007 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships where he ranked in the top three in division one in kicks, long kicks and rebound 50s and won a large portion of his possessions in an uncontested manner."

"Alan McConnell: Nick Suban - Suban's ball-winning ability and ground work was great."

"Jason McCartney: Nick Suban – Got my attention for different reasons against WA. He's an on-baller, but full credit to the Country coaching staff, they changed things up against the home side. He played as a permanent small defender on Chris Yarran, an exciting talent who looked extremely dangerous, and wore him like a glove.
He provided good rebound when needed and uses the ball exquisitely. Nick's another AIS academy boy and to see him play a different role on a dangerous forward was a real positive. It was a great game for his development."

"???: Left-footed centreman who shows great leadership and toughness. Uses the ball well."

"Jason McCartney: Nick Suban – Nick had 19 disposals, including nine contested possessions, five tackles and six inside 50s. He was very good through the midfield and back behind the ball. He's a left-footer and continually sets the play up by foot. He doesn't waste the ball and showed really good leadership again."

"HFF 07: NICK SUBAN 179cm 82kg BP/HBF North Ballarat Rebels
Tough and uncompromising, the best way to sescribe this old fashoned defender cum midfielder, has shown sublime skills and was one of the better small defenders in the champs.
PROS: - Leadership, Competitive, Kicking, Tough, Reads play well,
CONS: - Genuine pace, Field kicking (placement)
PREDICTION: 10 - 25"

"foj1:: 30. Nick Suban 179cm 82kg Vic Country
Tough as old shoes solid onballer/ utility. Had a very good championship last year and was serviceable again this year. I don’t see that much upside to Suban however you know what you are getting with him. A tough uncompromising footballer who will be ready to go at AFL level. Hard to categorise where and if Suban will go come November as there are always players like Banner, German, Hughes, Sloane and Zaharakis competing for limited spaces as well as a tonne of little blokes in the VFL like Andrew Horne who are equally as good."

"ant555: Nick Suban – 179cm, 82kg – North Ballarat.
Strong bodied small defender / midfielder who has had two pretty good carnivals now. Has been used mainly on the half back line but can go into the middle and win the ball if needed. Did a great job as a small defender on Yarran in Country’s win against WA. He is a smart player who has good skills on both sides of the body. His defensive side is good and he reads the play well .Can kick the ball a long way.
The TAC Cup games he has played in the midfield have generally been very good and he has read and directed the play well.
The question marks he has on him are his lack of genuine pace and the fact that he kicks to contests at times during games. Natural player who displays good on field leadership. May be a bit of a slider in the draft because of the fact he plays a lot of footy at half back and is not overly quick.
Prediction – pick 10 to 25."
FFC.com.au on Suban

The club used its other second round selection (No. 24 overall) to recruit North Ballarat left footer Nick Suban.

Nick has represented Vic Country for the last three years; in 2006 at the U16 National Championships and in 2007 and 2008 at the U18 National Championships where he received All-Australian honours both years and an AIS-AFL Academy Scholarship in 2007 for his impressive season as a 17-year-old.

He is a very smart footballer with very good skills and has played mostly as a small defender and in the midfield. He is good in contested situations and displays sound ball handling.
AFL.com.au profile on Suban

Date of birth: 9/5/90
Height: 179cm
Weight: 82kg
Club: North Ballarat/Bacchus Marsh

Bio: Suban is a competitive small midfielder who wins his own ball in contested situations. He has excellent skills and is a player who makes good decisions. An AIS/AFL Academy graduate, Suban represented Vic Country and won All-Australian selection in 2007 and 2008. From Bacchus Marsh FC.

Jason McCartney says: What stands out about Nick is that he has great leadership qualities and he's a left footer who kicks the ball well. He also has a great flexibility to his game. He plays predominantly midfield and half-back, but for Vic Country over in Perth he played in a back pocket on Chris Yarran – who is a great young player – and really shut him out. Chris is a leading forward so Nick was even playing full-back at times and I think when you see a young player have the ability to do that, it really adds strings to his bow.

Stats:
NAB AFL Under 18 Championships
Team
Mt K HB D M HO T G
Vic Country 5 10.8 5.6 16.4 3.0 0.2 2.6 0.2

Draft Camp highlights:
4th agility test 8.25sec

In his own words

What sort of player are you?
I’m probably an inside or outside sort of player. I don’t mind getting in and getting it or receiving it outside either. I try to win the contests as well as get it in a bit of space. I pride myself on my kicking and try to hit as many targets as I can.

Strengths?
Probably my kicking. If I can hit most of my targets I’ll be pretty happy.

Weaknesses?
My fitness, I think. Getting from contest to contest, I can find that a bit hard at times.

Which AFL team do you support?
St Kilda.

Which AFL player do you feel you most resemble?
I’m a St Kilda supporter so I’ve always grown up liking Robert Harvey and Nick Dal Santo and those types of blokes. I just love the way they go about it. I really admire Harvey’s work rate, so if I could get something like his fitness it’d be great.
Brad Lloyd on Suban

Selection No.24: Nicholas Suban
North Ballarat/Bacchus Marsh FC, VIC, Small midfielder, May 9 1990, 179cm, 82kg
"He's a midfielder who can also go halfback. He's a really good kick of the footy, so it was good to get another midfielder and a backman."
Quigley on Suban

Nick Suban (DOB – 9/5/90, Ht – 179, Wt – 82)

Suban is a blue collar warrior who you know is going to give you 100% every time he runs out on the park. Everybody assumes that he will play off half back but he could just as easily play in the midfield as an in and under. He played both positions for Vic Country extremely well and was an AA both last year and this year at U18 level. There is not a lot of flash in Suban’s game but does read play pretty well especially from the back and he can kick a long way although he kicks to contests too much. Defensively he is pretty good and has performed very well at U18 level but there will be some concerns about his ability to match up against the small / medium forwards at AFL level. He is a bit on the short side and I had some concerns about his pace but he tested pretty well at camp and that would have gone some way to reassuring teams who would be looking at him around this stage. At camp he performed pretty well overall doing a 3.04 in the 20m sprint and 8.25 in the agility test (4th overall). He is a pretty well built young guy and looks like he will have a short powerful build by the time he is finished. He is a very smart player who outthinks most of the players he matches up on and he reads play very well also. The other big positive for Suban is his leadership. He along with Zeibell are probably the stand out leaders this year and he is the kind of guy who always puts the team first. He does the 1%ers very well and you know that he will put his body on the line and lay the crunching shepherd. He is a tough hard at it player who will lead his team through a brick wall. There are definitely worse prospects available this year and he is someone who you want on your side.
LukeHodge15 on Suban

This is where i differ big time. Soldier :eek: Suban has that laser left foot (Doesnt get any better watching him use the footy) and wether its being played as a QB outa defense slicing up zones or going long 60m. He will have high hurt factor at AFL level and that is why he will go early IMO

I could ramble on more, but i think we get the picture that im sold on Suban. :D:D

Back onto the Suban thing.

At worst u are going to get Chris Newman
At best u will end up with Nick DalSanto.

For all those chumps that dont rate Suban, get back to ur tapes and have another look. :p:p

Heath Black-Chris Newman, same sorta thing.
And thats the worst case scenerio.

Suban is one of those guys that will take to AFL like a duck to water. He will thrive in the quality envoriment of the AFL. AFL ready day 1 for mine.

Anyone would think Suban is my love child :eek: Well he is my 2nd choice this draft anyway.
Gilly1972 on Suban

I have to be honest, Suban had been on bit of a slide for me, but for a bloke who supposedly turned up to DC with high skin-folds, he certainly tested better than I expected. A couple of pre-seasons and a better tank and the hurt factor with his kicking I have him back to an early second rounder.
Cruiser23 on Suban

Also, Suban has no motor, well today anyway, he needs to work on his endurance big time. In the final quarter he hardly moved from the centre and after every stoppage, called the runner for water, he does have some left foot on him though.
Vic Crow on Suban

Suban isn't quick, so that does work against him. While he's not tall I wouldn't say he's undersized for the role I'd see him playing at AFL (he has Sydney written all over him...which isn't too far off Adelaide at times).

He's a real soldier and he applies himself to every contest. On top of that he's a beautiful penetrating kick of the ball.

Point taken though. There are parts of his game that NC would love, but there's probably just as much he wouldn't like.

Nail. Hammer. Head.

He's a lot like Hurn in many ways. Cooling draft prospects, big bodied man child with a thumping kick.
macca69 on Suban
Nick Suban

Love the way he goes about it, enjoy watching him a lot. Really competitive, hard at it and has a top work-rate. Has a fierce determination to succeed, is very team-oriented and a potential future captain. He has the versatility to play both offensive and defensive roles effectively. To go along with that, he's got a raking left foot kick, can kick it 60m to a target with minimal hangtime. He's played his best footy as a quarterback-type backline general. Someone who negates his opponent then sets up and create play off HB. Will probably need to improve his power and athleticism to make the transition to midfield at AFL level. He's one I think will start off as a HBF type (should play quite a few games in '09), then make the transition to the midfield as a Simon Goodwin type - hard working, inside/outside midfielder with good skills and leadership qualities.
Thunderstruck on Suban
PICK 28 ADELAIDE NICK SUBAN

Geez I tossed over this for an hour and a half (go on quote me again Ben hehe) but had to make this call.

I thought about a KPP and a more specialist small forward like Jetta or Rockliff but saw that Suban was still there and had to nab him. He brings, hardness, skill and extraction of the footy in traffic to the table. Lovely leg, long kick and an accurate kick, wins his own ball in tight and then can use it on the outside. Can play as a small defender but is always in that attacking frame of mind and that is how I love my footballers. Looks to slot into the midfield and become a hard nosed ballwinner and is also great in defence as he often lays a lot of tackles. Not a big player in height...but he has some very good attributes in skill and toughness that I cannot ignore. The crows need more hard players, I still think we lack a couple of true inside players, always have been a very strong club around the footy and that has served us well but lately I think we are getting weaker in the clearances and also our skils are just dropping a touch. Suban comes in to improve this. Only real query is pace which is not quick but solid enough for the average AFL midfielder.
Norman Ross on Suban
22 - Port Adelaide – Nick Suban – Suban is a two time AA u/18. The definition of the inside midfielder, loves the contest and gets his hands dirty whenever he can. I believe Port lack the inside grunt to compliment the outside run of Pearce and Burgoyne. Yes S.Burgoyne can turn it on, but it’s too few and far between. Has good finishing skills and is more than capable of pushing forward and back.
foj1 on Suban

Pick 32 Western Bulldogs- Nick Suban
The bulldogs get a hard at it- in and under midfielder with this pick who can also finish off the job with clean disposal. Suban has a relatively developed body that could step up into AFL footy next year. Hopefully he takes Daniel Cross up as his role model- gets exceptionally fit and he will be a nice long term replacement for Scott West.

Emma Quayle on Suban
15. Nick Suban
(North Ballarat Rebels, 180cm, 83kg)
Suban is a natural — he gets the ball, can take a mark, and has a thumping
kick on him. He can get through traffic with a shake of his hips and
has notched some good handball receive numbers this year too. The
skinfolds need attention, but I’m sure that will happen once he himself gets
into a club.

Kevin Sheehan top 30 profile on Suban:
Nick Suban
North Ballarat / Bacchus Marsh FC.
9/5/90, 180.2cm, 83.2kgs
A dual All-Australian at Under 18 level, Nick is a competitive
left-footed medium midfielder/defender renowned for his ability to win the contested ball.
He possesses excellent skills, makes quality decisions and is future leader having captained
both Vic Country and the Rebels this season.
He represented Vic Country with distinction at the 2008 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships,
securing his second consecutive All-Australian guernsey.
Nick averaged 16 possessions throughout the carnival with an excellent efficiency rate and
ranked in the top 10 for disposals, kicks and inside 50s.
He was Vic Country’s best player in their narrow defeat to Vic Metro in the opening round of
the Division One carnival at the MCG gathering 25 disposals - including six inside 50s -
seven marks, four tackles and a goal.
Among North Ballarat’s leading players in 2008, Nick’s outstanding season earned him TAC
Cup Team of the Year honours. He averaged 18 possessions per game, dominating in round
18 against the Northern Knights with 17 kicks, 12 handballs and 15 handball receives.
A strong performance at the 2008 NAB AFL Draft Camp in Canberra saw him ranked fourth
overall for agility.
An AIS-AFL Academy graduate, he toured South Africa with the squad in early 2008.
Q&A
What are thoughts regarding life outside or after football? I’d like to do something in the
sport and recreation industry - possibly a personal trainer or a sports manager.
Which AFL players do you watch or model yourself on? I take little parts from a range of
different players but being a St Kilda supporter I’ve followed Robert Harvey a fair bit.
What would your coaches and teammates say your strengths are? Training as I play. I try
and train as hard as I can and try and get the most out of every session. Also my leadership on
the field.

2007 / 2008 TAC Cup Stats: http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...D=187106337&client=1-3020-27608-67827-8058800

Suban's 2008 DC Results:

180.2cm (10%)
83.2kg (59%)
92.6mm S7 skinfolds (0%)
20.1cm handspan(6%)
Arm length 82.7cm (46%)
Standing VJ 65cm (79%)
Right running jump 76cm (74%)
Left running jump 84cm (79%)
1.13s 5m (30%) 1.84s 10m (37%) 3.04s 20m (52%)
8.25s agility (94%)
Level 13 shuttle 1 beep test (33%)
26.05s repeat sprint (63%)
11:27 3km (45%)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back