Number of games Victorian teams are playing in Melbourne in 2017 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

all hail the big vee

vfl_logo.jpg

what a lovely national competition we have

With so many Victorian teams in the league it's always going to be the case they will play more games in Victoia. This part does mean more neutral games but the Victorian clubs have a clear advantage over the non Victoian clubs due to less travel. Not much can be done about this though.
The grand final though is a completely different issue and is a major problem and weakness of the competition,it's not the VFL and we need to move away from that.
This year was not good really. The mighty doggies did finish 7th and to get to play the 1st finishing Swans in our home state,whilst great for me personally,was a huge blight on the completion.
Finally. An objective fan!

It's certainly possible and has definitely been done before. You must not know much about the cycling community. I ride road bikes. Made for top speeds.

I propose this thread now focuses on Always Ballin's attempt to ride the 75km from Geelong to Melbourne in just half an hour.

Get a load of this guy. At least your team actually gets an distinct advantage playing at home. Free kick ladder 2016:

1. Western Bulldogs: +4.6 home, +4.1 away (average +4.35)
2. North Melbourne: +4.4 home, +1.9 away (average +3.15)
3. Adelaide: +3.6 home, -0.8 away (average +1.4)
4. Collingwood: +1.9 home, +1.6 away (average +1.75)
5. Essendon: +3.7 home, -0.6 away (average +1.55)
6. West Coast: +3.7 home, -1.9 away (average +0.9)
7. Hawthorn: +1.6 home, -0.3 away (average +0.65)
8. Carlton: +1.4 home, -1.0 away (average +0.2)
9. Richmond: +2.4 home, -3.9 away (average -0.75)
10. Brisbane: +0.4 home, -2.4 away (average -1)
11. St. Kilda: +0.5 home, -2.6 away (average -1.05)
12. Fremantle: +2.7 home, -3.8 away (average -1.1)
13. Melbourne: -0.8 home, -1.7 away (average -1.25)
14. Gold Coast: +0.4 home, -3.2 away (average -1.4)
15. Geelong: +1.5 home, -5.4 away (average -1.95)
16. Sydney: -1.2 home, -2.8 away (average -2.0)
17. GWS: +1.2 home, -5.7 away (average -2.25)
18. Port Adelaide: +1.2 home, -6.4 away (average -2.6)

Not that I don't trust your figures, but where did you get them from?

In the tier of game types it goes;

1 - True Home Games
2 - Neutral Games
3 - True Away Games

It is true that Interstate teams have more true home games, but they also have more true away games. Victorian teams trade off tier 1 and tier 3 games for tier 2 Neutral games. When you do the math, Vic teams come out on top.

Plus, we haven't even factored in travel distances, it's effect on fatigue/physical preparedness, and most importantly...

HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE ON GRAND FINAL DAY

Victorian teams have never and WILL never be underdogs/underprivileged minorities. You don't and never will understand our struggles.
But interstate teams play at Etihad 3-5 times a year. So it's hardly a true advantage compared to say Subiaco where we play 1-2 times a year. Some teams might not even go to Subiaco.

It is so much easier for interstate teams to beat us at Etihad then us beating them there because they play there often.

The MCG is probably more of a true home ground.

I propose this thread now focuses on Always Ballin's attempt to ride the 75km from Geelong to Melbourne in just half an hour.

Just checked the 'around the bay in a day' website. (because you can't usually ride that route...As usually cycles aren't allowed on the freeway)

They don't seem to have a specific time for Melbourne to Geelong, but considering the ride starts at 5:30am and the checkpoint at Geelong doesn't even open until 7am (it's open 7am til 11am), it seems they would be rather surprised at his achievement.

I'm not an interstate fan who wants to change the status quo much. I want the GF at the G for the players and tradition. I want the traditional Melbourne clubs to come to to Spotless so I can see rhem play.
I am just a little miffed we have one game at the MCG against Richmond in the H/A season. I dont think it's a CIA conspiracy and reflects our inability to draw crowds in Melbourne, (yeah ok in Sydney we struggle a bit too, but those that do go get a treat).
It is an issue for us as we target a flag tilt this year, as one of a number of serious contenders. I would have thought either the Hawks game scheduled at Aurora or the Bulldogs Friday night game at Etthiad could have been scheduled at the G. The Bulldogs game would attract some interest among neutrals I would imagine, and the Hawks could take one for the good of the game :))).

Just checked the 'around the bay in a day' website. (because you can't usually ride that route...As usually cycles aren't allowed on the freeway)

They don't seem to have a specific time for Melbourne to Geelong, but considering the ride starts at 5:30am and the checkpoint at Geelong doesn't even open until 7am (it's open 7am til 11am), it seems they would be rather surprised at his achievement.

As would I, me and the lads had a crack at it over the weekend. We just couldn't seem to go any quicker than 120km/h up some of the hills. In the end the best we could do was 36 minutes.

The kicker really is the home ground advantage in the GF. You could be the best team in the league as an interstate team, but come GF day.. You've suddenly become an underdog. As far as I'm aware, AFL is the only sport in the world that practices something like this. Would be crucified to the moon if this happened in the NFL/NBA/NHL over in the big leagues of USA.

The FA Cup Final is always played at Wembley in London. Manchester United (i.e. not from London) has the equal most wins.

But interstate teams play at Etihad 3-5 times a year. So it's hardly a true advantage compared to say Subiaco where we play 1-2 times a year. Some teams might not even go to Subiaco.

It is so much easier for interstate teams to beat us at Etihad then us beating them there because they play there often.

The MCG is probably more of a true home ground.

Non Vic teams usually get several games on the MCG each year, so the difference would be negligible.

Both grounds would represent a smaller home ground advantage than any non Vic ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but, but, he said Geelong to Melbourne, it's quicker that way.

As would I, me and the lads had a crack at it over the weekend. We just couldn't seem to go any quicker than 120km/h up some of the hills. In the end the best we could do was 36 minutes.

You and your mates should go to the Olympics.

The current record for distance traveled in 1 hour is some nobody called Bradley Wiggins who managed 54.526km (who did it in a velodrome, and was presumably paced).

So Always Ballin thinks he can do ~50% further, in half the time, out in the open.

Sure...

The FA Cup Final is always played at Wembley in London. Manchester United (i.e. not from London) has the equal most wins.
Completely different as Wembley isn't used by the London teams as a home ground. Saying that though, I love having the MCG locked in for the Grand Final.

No problems with the amount of travel we do. It's not ideal but not much can be done. What I do hate is the lack of support by the AFL in terms of fixturing. Interstate teams need as many games at the MCG as possible, WA teams should never play in Tazzie and 5-6 day breaks need to be eliminated or reduced

Non Vic teams usually get several games on the MCG each year, so the difference would be negligible.

Both grounds would represent a smaller home ground advantage than any non Vic ground.
We get one as we did last year.

You and your mates should go to the Olympics.

The current record for distance traveled in 1 hour is some nobody called Bradley Wiggins who managed 54.526km (who did it in a velodrome, and was presumably paced).

So Always Ballin thinks he can do ~50% further, in half the time, out in the open.

Sure...
It's certainly possible if you have the right bike and wind conditions. I've done rides down to Bunbury from Perth many times in short times.

Yeah. West Coast for example play at Etihad 5 times this year. Also play at the MCG twice. So our home ground advantage compared to West Coast is diminished. West Coast play at Domain 12 times compared to our 1.

They play at Etihad 5 times compared to our 9 games there, 3 of which are against true Etihad tennants in St Kilda, Bulldogs and North.

So we have home ground advantage in 6 of our Etihad games, one being Melbourne, and they have a home ground advantage in 10

That's why it is easier for interstate sides to make finals and top 4 compared to Victorian teams

Completely different as Wembley isn't used by the London teams as a home ground. Saying that though, I love having the MCG locked in for the Grand Final.

No problems with the amount of travel we do. It's not ideal but not much can be done. What I do hate is the lack of support by the AFL in terms of fixturing. Interstate teams need as many games at the MCG as possible, WA teams should never play in Tazzie and 5-6 day breaks need to be eliminated or reduced

And the MCG isn't Western Bulldogs or Geelong's home ground either, but they still won flags there.

The kicker really is the home ground advantage in the GF. You could be the best team in the league as an interstate team, but come GF day.. You've suddenly become an underdog. As far as I'm aware, AFL is the only sport in the world that practices something like this. Would be crucified to the moon if this happened in the NFL/NBA/NHL over in the big leagues of USA.
Last year the Bulldogs played at the MCG 2 times pre-finals. Your own team played there 3 times, Sydney played there as many as the Dogs.

Are we still considering it a home venue for every Victorian team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back