Number of games Victorian teams are playing in Melbourne in 2017 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee you sound like a Victorian lashing out against anyone who points out the inequities in the AFL system. I know you're not a Victorian so it seems rather funny, in a weird sort of way.

Calling anyone who points out those inequities, a whinger is fine , But it's easy when the cards are stacked in ones own favour.

Reminds me of the Castle scene in the Monty Python Holy grail movie. "Whose castle is this'?

Its an easy call from the ramparts.

If the cards are so heavily stacked in the favor of Vic teams, how come non Vic clubs have a better win-loss record over the past decade?

but as you say...

Calling anyone who points out those inequities, a whinger is fine , But it's easy when the cards are stacked in ones own favour.

If the cards are so heavily stacked in the favor of Vic teams, how come non Vic clubs have a better win-loss record over the past decade?

but as you say...

It is surprising they haveabetter win loss ratio. The AFLs done everything to stop that.

Despite the fact they get more games in their own city, the MCG is in their favour, the salary cap & draft is designed to support them, as are AFL handouts, & so many still struggle in the greatest sporting city. I wonder why????

(Too many of them in the league perhaps ;) )

As a crows fan i hope someday Adelaide oval can host the grand final, but at this point no chance, stadium size is not at the standard to host such a major event. No other competition sport in the world gets a bigger attendance to a final that what out sport does, that's a unique tradition that it to be proud of. Also the fact that my team won 2 grand finals vs Victorian opposition gives a great sense of smugness we beat them on their own turf. Until other stadiums are a least 80,000 capacity then the MCG should always have it. Also i heard that some cities who have hosted the superbowl have made losses hosting the event.

Essendon: 16/22
Richmond: 16/22
Carlton: 16/22
St Kilda: 16/22
Melbourne: 16/22
Hawthorn: 12/22
Geelong: 16/22
North: 14/22
Collingwood: 17/22
Bulldogs: 14/22

Fun Fact: Melbourne doesn't leave Victoria until round 8.

Surprised to see Hawthorn so low, and Collingwood higher than the rest. Although, Hawthorn seems to have to most gimmick stadium locations (Tasmania), so that has seemed to have affected their total.

What do you make of this?

After all the sooking on here regarding the Bulldogs not playing outside of Victoria for the first part of 2016, if Melbourne don't win the flag, they should just fold. The bar's been set

As a crows fan i hope someday Adelaide oval can host the grand final, but at this point no chance, stadium size is not at the standard to host such a major event. No other competition sport in the world gets a bigger attendance to a final that what out sport does, that's a unique tradition that it to be proud of. Also the fact that my team won 2 grand finals vs Victorian opposition gives a great sense of smugness we beat them on their own turf. Until other stadiums are a least 80,000 capacity then the MCG should always have it. Also i heard that some cities who have hosted the superbowl have made losses hosting the event.

A lot of places take a hit hosting major sporting events. The Soccer World Cup, The Olympics. Formula1, its about exposure & the wank factor of hosting prestigious events.

but as you say...

I am not sure if they are heavily stacked in a Vic teams corner but one cannot question it must be some advantage to not having to travel and play in your home state on GF day. How big an advantage is the question that no one can probably answer.
The fact that sides have overcome this advantage does not change that it is there, Maybe the side from outside of Victoria was vastly a superior side? Maybe the Vic team made the GF because of playing finals in their home state?
One can ask these questions to the cows come home but no matter the question the GF will be at the G and that is just the way it is.

But saying an advantage does not exist because sides have overcome it is just silly, The Eagles have a huge home ground advantage, but it means squat when they play a superior football side. The same applies in all games.

Sydney were exempt from all H&A VFL Park matches when they relocated. They wanted 11 games broadcast from Sydney on Sunday throughout the season, back in the day when everything was all about night time replays and blackouts and "protecting local footy" on a Saturday arvo...! Everyone else played two home and two away games at VFL Park each season from 1982-86, perfect symmetry which got messed up a bit when the league expanded. Sydney still avoided VFL Park, outside a few games against Footscray and Carlton, until the Hawks and Saints made it their home ground in the 1990's...

All sounds correct. But what was happening in the few seasons before South Melbourne re-located to SCG?

12 into 22 rounds, does not go twice, so without looking up fixtures at the time, can only assume Geelong were exempt from being allocated a home game there. The other 11 clubs play two games each at the neutral VFL Park I assume is how they did it in 1978,79 and 1980.
Cannot remember if it was 1981 or 82 the Swans re-located to Sydney.

All sounds correct. But what was happening in the few seasons before South Melbourne re-located to SCG?

12 into 22 rounds, does not go twice, so without looking up fixtures at the time, can only assume Geelong were exempt from being allocated a home game there. The other 11 clubs play two games each at the neutral VFL Park I assume is how they did it in 1978,79 and 1980.
Cannot remember if it was 1981 or 82 the Swans re-located to Sydney.

11 into 22 rounds works....a team cannot play itself.

Be great actually you WA folk seceded from the nation. Like that Hutt River freak
haha. then you would have to have China finish buying you out to make up for all your lost GST revenue.

But then we would be left on our own with the WCE supporters. It would soon turn into Mad Max over here with a derby every week.:p

haha. then you would have to have China finish buying you out to make up for all your lost GST revenue.

But then we would be left on our own with the WCE supporters. It would soon turn into Mad Max over here with a derby every week.:p
Australian army would then invade. Able bodied WA men be sent to serve in salt mines of the greater australian republic.

At least you would get to play your finals at home.:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

11 into 22 rounds works....a team cannot play itself.
Indeed a team cannot play itself.
It is not answering my question though for that time period in question.

One of us is missing something.
Either you are having a blond moment or myself. ha ha
So busy doing other stuff it could be me.
I swear 12 clubs playing 2 home games each at VFL Park adds to 24.
But if there is only 22 rounds of one game at VFL Park each of those rounds, some club of the 12 at the time, is not being allocated some home games there.
Can only assume it is Geelong at this point.

Surprised to see Hawthorn so low, and Collingwood higher than the rest. Although, Hawthorn seems to have to most gimmick stadium locations (Tasmania), so that has seemed to have affected their total.

Um Geelong aint Melbourne so your numbers are wrong and for the Geelong football club Melbourne is an away game with opposition fans and umpires biased by those fans.

Can you also make a list of games every club gets to play at their home ground against interstate teams? Might find that the advantage vic teams get playing lots of games in their home city is equally offset by the lack of home games they get against interstate teams. Can non vic supporters just consider this fact once?

Indeed a team cannot play itself.
It is not answering my question though for that time period in question.

One of us is missing something.
Either you are having a blond moment or myself. ha ha
So busy doing other stuff it could be me.
I swear 12 clubs playing 2 home games each at VFL Park adds to 24.
But if there is only 22 rounds of one game at VFL Park each of those rounds, some club of the 12 at the time, is not being allocated some home games there.
Can only assume it is Geelong at this point.

12 clubs...each club has 11 opposition clubs. Each club plays the opposition twice... 11 matches x 2

Geelong played Fitzroy round 19 of 1981 at VFL Park as a home game.
So clearly it must not be all 12 clubs play 2 home games there each then and also not 11 clubs playing 2 each.
Does not look uniform. Wonder how they decided it then ? As in whom gets home games there .

Easy 30 minute bike ride.

LOL, a 75 km bike ride in 30 min, not even a fully charged Lance Armstrong co do that.

Geelong is only part of Melbourne when it suits them.
When the World UCI Championship was held here, they constantly refered to us as part of Melbourne.
When we elected Darryn Lyons as Mayor, Melbourne wanted nothing to do with us.

Can you also make a list of games every club gets to play at their home ground against interstate teams? Might find that the advantage vic teams get playing lots of games in their home city is equally offset by the lack of home games they get against interstate teams. Can non vic supporters just consider this fact once?

For Carlton it's:

West Coast
16 home
23 away

Fremantle
11 home
19 away

Port
12 home
17 away

Suns
2 home
4 away

Giants
3 home
3 away

Brisbane (inc Bears)
24 home
19 away

Adelaide
22 home
11 away

Can't find the stats for Sydney since 1982.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back