Prediction Numbers for next season - who gets what?

Remove this Banner Ad

i cant find an rule to quote but it seems numbers can only go as high as the number on the playing list within reason and also seemingly ruling out 0,

shaun rehn had 52 which dates back to when playing list sat at 52,

our own andrew witts had 65 back in the eighties, i remember him saying that he had such a high number because he was listed so late and the other numbers had been allocated to non senior list players.
Im sure there was a player in the early 90"s who wore 60 maube alexander only played a cppl of games....anyone remember ?

Im sure there was a player in the early 90"s who wore 60 maube alexander only played a cppl of games....anyone remember ?
Stephen Shorty Anderson wore 60 I believe.
Played a few games circa 1991, I remember I'd say 4 games, 2 goals.

Pretty sure numbers over 52 became rare when team lists became structured and bound by the draft in 1992. Sydney and brisbane may have been the exception for a few years with lists of 60.

Shorty anderson just did the sparky work on my parents renos!

Ps it's the 35 ongoing thing.
I'm just not much of a fan.
But, I'll still be ok anyway.

It's silly like Richmond captain as 17 - well done Cotchin on bypassing it

The captaincy thing makes more sense than the number 35 first year player thing. The Collingwood captain/vice/deputy vice always used to wear 1 2 and 3. Ray Shaw broke that tradiiton when he became captain and stayed in 23.

The captaincy thing makes more sense than the number 35 first year player thing. The Collingwood captain/vice/deputy vice always used to wear 1 2 and 3. Ray Shaw broke that tradiiton when he became captain and stayed in 23.
Correct.
Captaincy as number 1 is logical, and do remember ray shaw being the end of the tradition.

But it's kind of nice having the one number for the bulk of a career.

Correct.
Captaincy as number 1 is logical, and do remember ray shaw being the end of the tradition.

But it's kind of nice having the one number for the bulk of a career.

Agree I remember as a kid being confused with the captaincy (and number 1) changing hands year after year.... W Richardson, Tuddy, M Richardson, Thompson....we had five captains in five years!!! Shaw was the fifth. maybe he saw the light that number one was a poison chalice

Agree I remember as a kid being confused with the captaincy (and number 1) changing hands year after year.... W Richardson, Tuddy, M Richardson, Thompson....we had five captains in five years!!! Shaw was the fifth. maybe he saw the light that number one was a poison chalice
A bit of talent there.

Thompson was something else.
Wayne Richardson, gun.
Then there's Tuddy, lol, he was a charachter

So Ed said this morning the decisions to give Brown 17 and Daicos 26 was completely a choice by the boys.

Ed reckons he really pushed with both boys to take 26 and 35. So maybe the 35 thing isn't something their super locked down on? Hopefully Nick takes 35 in a few years then.

i cant find an rule to quote but it seems numbers can only go as high as the number on the playing list within reason and also seemingly ruling out 0,

shaun rehn had 52 which dates back to when playing list sat at 52,

our own andrew witts had 65 back in the eighties, i remember him saying that he had such a high number because he was listed so late and the other numbers had been allocated to non senior list players.
I was bored, so did some research.
The highest in AFL/VFL is indeed Andrew Witts with 65 (7 games)
Then a total of 5 AFL/VFL players wore 60 (Keays played 10 games wearing 60 in 1987, then went on to play 45 games Collingwood/Richmond).
Craig 'boofa' Davis wore 60 when he crossed to Sydney at the end of his career (played 9 games in 60, career total 163 games).

So Ed said this morning the decisions to give Brown 17 and Daicos 26 was completely a choice by the boys.

Ed reckons he really pushed with both boys to take 26 and 35. So maybe the 35 thing isn't something their super locked down on? Hopefully Nick takes 35 in a few years then.
I thought Ed would do that (offer up 35 to junior Daics).
Anyway, the players decided...so all good.
It's just the supporters who are disappointed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Ed would do that (offer up 35 to junior Daics).
Anyway, the players decided...so all good.
It's just the supporters who are disappointed.

If the players decided then I'm not as annoyed.

The offseason...

Here I am reading a thread about jumper numbers and I find myself wondering why no-one ever wears the number 0.

The offseason...

Here I am reading a thread about jumper numbers and I find myself wondering why no-one ever wears the number 0.
Because it was felt Mr Gault might get a tad miffed

Was he a ball butcher?
Well lets say he was a trier. Curly blonde hair and a bit of dash, like a second rate Harry O'Brien. I seem to remember him having a good game against Geelong at the G, not sure if he kicked a few...ah a quick glance at the stats shows I am wrong. HBF from memory.

Would be interesting to know if there's a story behind Sier getting 36.

Did he ask for it, did Swanny go to him, did the club go to him?
You'd assume the club has high hopes for him, passing on the number of a retiring all time great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back