Prediction Numbers for next season - who gets what?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jelly I'm with you on the whole "It's time 42 came back out" thing. I wrote about that a month or so ago. As great a player as Pants was I feel like we've showed our respect to his family and it would be great to see his number back out frightening the bejezus out of oppositions like it once did.

Shawy did win the B+F in 1990 (more importantly the Norm Smith in my book) and yes Scooter won it in 1991 (Pants won it in 1987 and in 1990 where he played the last two months with a broken thumb...he won the AFL's MVP)...so he was a highly decorated player akin to a Luke Hodge when he drunk drove himself into the back of a truck. Hodgy luckily survived his drink driving episode but he'd be about the level of player that Millane was at that stage of his career.
Millane a terrific player.
Tremendous onfield leadership.
Hodge a particularly better player but....

(ducks for cover.....)

That is rubbish.
What is rubbish?
That I'm ducking?
Or Hodge is a better player than Millane was?

For what it's worth, Darren was inspirational, strong, a bull etc but not in the same league as Hodge as a player in my opinion. But each to their own opinion.

What is rubbish?
That I'm ducking?
Or Hodge is a better player than Millane was?

For what it's worth, Darren was inspirational, strong, a bull etc but not in the same league as Hodge as a player in my opinion. But each to their own opinion.

It's a stupid comparison.

I reckon Pants could handle Hodge with one hand tied behind his back! (Bit like what he did to Anderson in the GF)

I like your well thought out response. :D
It's convinced me ;)

Can't argue with that.

Hang on a sec, you made the comparison. Please enlighten us as to why Hodge is a better player than Millane?

Hang on a sec, you made the comparison. Please enlighten us as to why Hodge is a better player than Millane?

He's not.....Millane was much better in the air, much faster and agile....just as strong (probably stronger) and Pants had even more mongrel in him than Hodgey makes out he has! Hodge is a better left foot kick and has won more GF's though....

He's not.....Millane was much better in the air, much faster and agile....just as strong (probably stronger) and Pants had even more mongrel in him than Hodgey makes out he has! Hodge is a better left foot kick and has won more GF's though....

Yep, so because Hodge played in a better team he is a better player. You are spot on, Millane was all class and shits all over Hodge!

Hodge better skills, better record, better leader, hodge year after year after year comes up, Darren was a bit asleep in 1991.
Darrrn used kick around an arc so to speak.
Actually romanticised that Darren is, he was a terrific player but not the level of hodge in my opinion.
That doesn't make Darren less of a player.
Hodge is a very special player. A worthy number one draft pick.

Bottom line, you can only take one of them for their careers notwithstanding death, id take Hodge without blinking. Not close for me.

Still greatly liked Darren but for a choice I'll take off the collingwood goggles and enjoy the morning after with Hodge.

I should add Hodge has a slightly better goal kicking record overall than Millane.
Millane probably on memory played more forward than Hodge.
But similar % to games.
Hodge three time all Australian.
Two time norm smith.

Darren terrific but not in the same category as Hodge.

Herasy coming up, here it comes:
Darren was in our team of the century, and I'd not have had him in, as good as he was.
Now you can get ready to really flame me

;)

We are also forgetting Hodge has the use of modern day fitness and technology on his side that Milane wouldnt of. Back then players wouldnt train no where near as much as they do now. Recovery wouldn't of been as good as what it was now.. heaps of different factors, that is why comparisons like this are so hard because if the players from the past had everything the players have now there's no doubting they would be better than what they were at the time. Better than the modern day player right now? Well.. we will never know.

Hodge better skills, better record, better leader, hodge year after year after year comes up, Darren was a bit asleep in 1991.
Darrrn used kick around an arc so to speak.
Actually romanticised that Darren is, he was a terrific player but not the level of hodge in my opinion.
That doesn't make Darren less of a player.
Hodge is a very special player. A worthy number one draft pick.

Bottom line, you can only take one of them for their careers notwithstanding death, id take Hodge without blinking. Not close for me.

Still greatly liked Darren but for a choice I'll take off the collingwood goggles and enjoy the morning after with Hodge.

Better skills? Please explain in what way Hodge is better?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are also forgetting Hodge has the use of modern day fitness and technology on his side that Milane wouldnt of. Back then players wouldnt train no where near as much as they do now. Recovery wouldn't of been as good as what it was now.. heaps of different factors, that is why comparisons like this are so hard because if the players from the past had everything the players have now there's no doubting they would be better than what they were at the time. Better than the modern day player right now? Well.. we will never know.
Good points.
Though Darren had a little too much zeal for the night life, buses, drinking.
Err wait a moment, Hodge likes a drink too.... hmmmm.
I know people love Millane, i do too but I just don't rate him overall as high as some do.
I've been wrong before. Just an opinion.

<<< Not wearing any goggles....lol
I just apply one of my old coach's tests: If there's a loose ball between Millane and Hodge....who gets it? Being a skilled left footer doesn't win Hodgy that posession against a desperado and a missile like Darren Millane. (For that matter Hodgy would lose that battle to Gavin Brown as well!)
Don't get me wrong I love Hodgy but Pants was better than he has actually been remembered. He was a winger that could dominate at CHF or on the ball. He intimidated many players simply by his presence, much like Leigh Matthews did. Hodgy doesn't do that. Yes he leads by example and he displays courage and dedication, but so did Tony Shaw!
I absolutely love those contested ball winners: Rowdy, Paul Kelly, Francis Bourke, Matthews, Kevin Murray, Bobby Skilton, Glen Archer, Hodgy!! Millane would easily hold his own with Hodgy, he'd take speccies on him though and then hit the ground running and kick goals!

Better skills? Please explain in what way Hodge is better?
Not to belabour the point, but it seems to me Hodge executes very well, year after year.
Darren to me was bull like, roundish kicks, more strength than precision.
It's comparing shades of colours, Hodge white for me, Millane cream not quite white.
That's my recollection.
But I am fallible.
(Except on Melbourne Cup history, I'm pretty good with that.)

<<< Not wearing any goggles....lol
I just apply one of my old coach's tests: If there's a loose ball between Millane and Hodge....who gets it? Being a skilled left footer doesn't win Hodgy that posession against a desperado and a missile like Darren Millane. (For that matter Hodgy would lose that battle to Gavin Brown as well!)
Don't get me wrong I love Hodgy but Pants was better than he has actually been remembered. He was a winger that could dominate at CHF or on the ball. He intimidated many players simply by his presence, much like Leigh Matthews did. Hodgy doesn't do that. Yes he leads by example and he displays courage and dedication, but so did Tony Shaw!
I absolutely love those contested ball winners: Rowdy, Paul Kelly, Francis Bourke, Matthews, Kevin Murray, Bobby Skilton, Glen Archer, Hodgy!! Millane would easily hold his own with Hodgy, he'd take speccies on him though and then hit the ground running and kick goals!
Well argued.
I like your test too, the loose ball. Who would get it.

And the other test, you are the recruiter, one pick left only, two players left.
You know their whole careers, assuming no death to Darren so he plays say to 33 or 34.

Hodge v Millane?

Who do you draft?

For me it's Hodge.
I'd take Gavin Brown over Millane to, assuming Gavin didn't have such injury niggles.

Not to belabour the point, but it seems to me Hodge executes very well, year after year.
Darren to me was bull like, roundish kicks, more strength than precision.
It's comparing shades of colours, Hodge white for me, Millane cream not quite white.
That's my recollection.
But I am fallible.
(Except on Melbourne Cup history, I'm pretty good with that.)

Did you ever see Millane play live?

Did you ever see Millane play live?
Most or close to each game he played in Melbourne plus even a few interstate games.
I did a few interstate games for a while, don't anymore, just home base Melbourne. Funny the interstate games don't appeal to arrange. Used to love going to Sydney especially for the SCG games.
Shock horror didn't mind Football Park either.
Back to our one and only.
Terrific player.
Respect your opinion.
It's no biggie, maybe I'm wrong after all, just for me I see the current player ahead in the pecking order.

Saints....I repect your opinion mate (as you know...we've said so before) just an aside:
How do you see the comparisons between the great horses of today and yesterday? Do you think today's horses are better or ??

Most or close to each game he played in Melbourne plus even a few interstate games.
I did a few interstate games for a while, don't anymore, just home base Melbourne. Funny the interstate games don't appeal to arrange. Used to love going to Sydney especially for the SCG games.
Shock horror didn't mind Football Park either.
Back to our one and only.
Terrific player.
Respect your opinion.
It's no biggie, maybe I'm wrong after all, just for me I see the current player ahead in the pecking order.

Fair enough, still think the comparison is wrong. Different players, different era.

Fair enough, still think the comparison is wrong. Different players, different era.
And on that you are spot on.
Each time period has differences that are hard to compare.
Totally agree.

Saints....I repect your opinion mate (as you know...we've said so before) just an aside:
How do you see the comparisons between the great horses of today and yesterday? Do you think today's horses are better or ??
The horses today have better overall food and medical treatments.
as has been pointed out with players, each era have differences, they are at times hard to compare.

The one great thing about horse racing is, the markers, if you like, are the better rated races.
So patterns form of the better races so comparisons are a bit easier.
In Australian racing the big four races are a good guide. Then there are group ones.

For all that if I had to name the best horse in our history, I just can't go past Carbine.
1890 Melbourne Cup winner, biggest field ever, 39 runners, and he carried 10 stone 5 pounds.
He dominated the turf in his two year old days, three, four, five.
Went to stud in England and sired an English Derby winner.

Black Caviar?

She is without doubt in our history the greatest ever sprinter by a good margin.

Racing has a rich history fortunately we can use the best races as something of a guide.

Oh, and Bart Cummings was the greatest ever trainer, and in any era would have dominated.
Only Tommy Smith can stand in his paddock.
Daylight everyone else.

Bart 28 wins in the big four races (Melbourne Cup, Caulfield Cup, Cox Plate, Golden Slipper)
Smith 19 wins

Both are the only two to win 200 + Group ones
Smith I think 284 to Bart 266

Huge massive numbers those two.

Smith one child only, Gai Waterhouse (she's a great but not in her dads league)
Bart had five children (one has passed away). This may change if it's true? Though he too has passed away.

After tonight the numbers may be.

Can we please please dispel the 35 business. Return to Daicos.
Suspect they will be silly and keep the contrived first pick as 35.
If not then the below can be swapped Daicos and McLarty?

• 3 Wells (looks closest to his previous 8)
  • 15 McLarty (Oakleigh number? If the silly 35 thing then Daicos can have this one)
  • 16 Cox (upgrade on 46)
  • 17 Maynard (if he's to change this looks right)
  • 26 Brown (absolutely)
  • 27 Crocker (available number upgrade for an ongoing goal kicker)
  • 32 Mayne (reverses the numbers of his loved 23)
  • 34 Hoskin-Elliot (closest to his previous 33, unless Wills wants to upgrade)
  • 35 Daicos (let's just move the number to Daicos if not he's 15)
  • 36 Kirby (looks tough, huge upside, looks right giving it to a potential talent)
  • 44 Dunn (forgot about him, oops, he could get 16 as close to his usual 14)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back