Numbers on shirts for coming Ashes series

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Looks dreadful

If you don't know the players very well then you aren't watching test cricket anyway

Can't the BCCI put a stop to this somehow?
old-man-cloud.jpg

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
I'm as traditionalist as anyone, but I really don't mind the names and numbers on the shirts. People like myself don't need them because I can identify the player by individual skills or mannerisms, but cricket is forever catering to newer audiences, and it would help kids, etc, to identify the player.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
i'm a traditionalist, but i'm all for it now. i wasn't at first - but this should've happened 20 years ago.

how often have you taken someone to the cricket and they use to ask who is that etc etc (girlfriend etc)

the sweaters over the top though don't make sense now.

kids wont buy test shirts with numbers etc, but it helps them identify their heroes.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I was outraged for the first session of the Ashes.

Now I'm over it and fairly used to it.

Has come in handy a few times identifying players on the coverage.

i'm a traditionalist, but i'm all for it now. i wasn't at first - but this should've happened 20 years ago.

how often have you taken someone to the cricket and they use to ask who is that etc etc (girlfriend etc)

kids wont buy test shirts with numbers etc, but it helps them identify their heroes.
There's a simple way to avoid having to answer that question, you launch into a long and circuitous answer referencing players and Tests from decades ago and they will never ask you again.

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast

Yeah, see there's your problem.

I like asking people who's winning

I think deep down we are all traditionalists to a degree.

Its interesting to see the difference in formats and the uniforms and behaviours exhibited.

Uniforms:
F50 (50 over cricket) uniforms are colourful yet i think respectful.
T20 garbs are a bit more zany and whacky

Behaviours:
F50 bit more partyish than test cricket. handshakes are still traditional generally.
T20, some more of this handshake types

5465123_T20_Aust_16-9_17511228_1978068_20191107131128addbffda-1585-49ca-8073-1e254910a513.jpg_sd_1280x720.jpg

When ODI finals are won, celebrations on the pitch
T20, players on the bench rush on.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
my guess is day 3 in sydney, the players numbers will be PINK.

a bit like the 2nd ashes test on day 1 - where they all had RED numbers (strauss)

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Best way of getting people interested, IMO. Read Peter Della Penna's account of taking one of his childhood friends to a CWC game this year:

https://peterdellapenna.wordpress.c...ng-afghanistan-in-england-on-the-4th-of-july/

Fair enough. I'm probably one of the worst people to go to sports with. I want to focus on what's happening and I want to be with people who understand and can contribute to that (i.e. pick that the ball is swinging or not) not distract me.

Back