Society/Culture Nutters kill 29 (incl children) on a bus in Egypt. Why does nobody care?

Remove this Banner Ad

Leper

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2004
E106o44' S06o17'
AFL Club
Richmond
This happened on Friday, but barely rated a mention in the news. It seems that Schapelle Corby returning to Australia is far bigger news.

Where are all of the "Pray for Egypt" slogans and flags littering our facebook feeds? Why don't we see Malcolm Turnbull and Julie Bishop's heads on the idiot box denouncing this despicable act and urging world leaders to do something about it?

Aren't we lucky that an no Australian resident suffered the misfortune of having a car run over their foot in this incident.

The sad fact is that this didn't happen in the UK or Paris or New York, so nobody gives a s**t.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/gunm...stians-in-egypt-governor-20170526-gwec5p.html

1495882670471.jpg

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Because if the media reported every terrorist attack world wide we would see just how big of a s**t storm we are in. There are literally going off every day. (Granted this has been a problem for years but it is escalating very worryingly). Almost like all bets are off. In many parts of the world there has been an uneasy truce but now looks like the gloves are off and many are picking sides.

So it is kept under raps and we save the solidarity for people we relate to (i.e. Manchester).

In a sense that is Human nature. It is not that people don't care but thousands die every day. If you were to grieve everyone of them you'd never leave the house. That's different from not caring.

Leper

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2004
E106o44' S06o17'
AFL Club
Richmond
Welcome to the Main Stream Media, not surprising unfortunately. Unless you are a first world country your catastrophes don't warrant much attention in the west.

Yep, that was pretty much my point.

As a population we are more interested in a convicted drug trafficker coming home (since she is your typical bogan female who so many can relate to?).

The media will shove down our throats the stuff that sells papers (and thus sells hamburgers; soft drink and gambling apps). Yet another terrorist incident in a 3rd world country is as "ho hum" as a cat falling out of a tree.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Yep, that was pretty much my point.

As a population we are more interested in a convicted drug trafficker coming home (since she is your typical bogan female who so many can relate to?).

The media will shove down our throats the stuff that sells papers (and thus sells hamburgers; soft drink and gambling apps). Yet another terrorist incident in a 3rd world country is as "ho hum" as a cat falling out of a tree.
I have mentioned this before but the MSM news is just s**t, haven't watched it regularly for years and now only see it if walking past while my wife is watching it. I stick to a little bit of ABC and SBS eg. Australian Story, Insight, Catalyst, Four Corners all depending on the content. Netflix and BF.

MSM news- The serious story up front, fats, freaks, finance, dietary advice, the tabloid celebrity garbage, the royals, the panda, the sport, the weather. The end. absolute tripe.

This happened on Friday, but barely rated a mention in the news. It seems that Schapelle Corby returning to Australia is far bigger news.

Where are all of the "Pray for Egypt" slogans and flags littering our facebook feeds? Why don't we see Malcolm Turnbull and Julie Bishop's heads on the idiot box denouncing this despicable act and urging world leaders to do something about it?

Aren't we lucky that an no Australian resident suffered the misfortune of having a car run over their foot in this incident.

The sad fact is that this didn't happen in the UK or Paris or New York, so nobody gives a s**t.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/gunm...stians-in-egypt-governor-20170526-gwec5p.html

1495882670471.jpg
I can't recall the studies on this, but deaths of "the other" are not as impactful as those of people you know, or even people you just recognise as being like you.

So much effort goes into demonising and "othering" people of colour, so it isn't surprising that it is hard to empathise or even know what to say. The impression given is that this is a common occurrence in some parts of the world and both sides are as barbaric as the other.

I have relatives in Paris so I can empathise more readily. I lived in the UK for a couple of years, so I can empathise more readily. The bus bomb from years ago was even on the same route my bus took to and from work.

The political system is not seen to be the same, so who do you protest to? The causes are never straight forward so who do you blame?

Are there any leaders representing these people that we recognise? Anyone who can explain it in a way that elicits more empathy?

People care, they just don't know what they can do to change things.

The commercial news systems are there to make money with as little effort as possible, so they have no interest in teaching the general public about it and bringing them around.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Welcome to the Main Stream Media, not surprising unfortunately. Unless you are a first world country your catastrophes don't warrant much attention in the west.

there is no impact when the people don't "look like you". So a terrorist attack in Russian means something but a terrorist attack in Egypt doesnt.

Just look at the Pakistan school attack vs the Russian one and how much coverage they got.

Proud SJW

Cancelled
Aug 27, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can't recall the studies on this, but deaths of "the other" are not as impactful as those of people you know, or even people you just recognise as being like you.

So much effort goes into demonising and "othering" people of colour, so it isn't surprising that it is hard to empathise or even know what to say. The impression given is that this is a common occurrence in some parts of the world and both sides are as barbaric as the other.
Marred an otherwise half-decent post with that little slip there, Chief.
White folk may have proven to be good at the game, but there is no evidence all to suggest they invented it, or are the only ones who play it.

Has it occurred to you that that little distinction suggests you're playing it too?

Marred an otherwise half-decent post with that little slip there, Chief.
White folk may have proven to be good at the game, but there is no evidence all to suggest they invented it, or are the only ones who play it.

Has it occurred to you that that little distinction suggests you're playing it too?
Slip? I was talking about our media.

How many Egyptians are in Australia doing this?

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
And therein lies the very problem behind these attacks in the first place.

Our absurd tribality.

We all have our tribes and relate to certain people. The absurdity comes when you think your tribe/group is simply any better or different to any others trying to get by.

It however takes a purely evil or deranged person to target and murder children. That s**t actually makes you believe Satan is indeed real.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

kwikfix

Club Legend
Jul 11, 2016
In your head
AFL Club
Fremantle
And therein lies the very problem behind these attacks in the first place.

Our absurd tribality.
Mal, maybe you should take a look at Imam Mohammad Tawhidi, a South Australian Muslim, who preaches unity, peace and tolerance. You don't do anything but conceal the truth.

Last edited:
Mal, maybe you should take a look at Imam Mohammad Tawhidi, a South Australian Muslim, who preaches unity, peace and tolerance. You don't do anything but conceal the truth.

Maybe you should stop posting references to an 'imam' that isn't recognised by any kind of Islamic authority in Australia or the world.

http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles/2017/04/11/4651763.htm

You used to be reasonable to debate with, instead of resorting to the same flaky talking points, Bill Leak cartoons, and non stop spamming of sarcasm and memes. Not holding my breath for a change though.

On topic - as others have pointed out, 'they' are not 'us'. Simple.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
We all have our tribes and relate to certain people.

You're acting as if thats some kind of inescapable objective reality.

Its not.

The absurdity comes when you think your tribe/group is... different to any others trying to get by.

Your tribe/ group is only a tribe/group becuase of a perception it is different from other tribe/groups. If you were not different to that tribe/group, they would be in the same tribe/group as you.

And of course, with the differences come the arguments and the fights about which is 'better' or which is 'right' or which should be persecuted or tolerated. From sports followed (Barrasi line), to teams within those sports, to religions, political positions, skin color, culture, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, age etc etc etc.

You're never going to avoid it. Example: Hutus hacked half a million to death Tutsi with machetes. (no Godwin the context of this thread) 'Germans' (a socially constructed fiction) led 6 million 'Jews' (another socially constructed fiction) to the gas chambers.

And Carlton led a thrilling comeback against North only to fall short in the last quarter.

All examples feature socially constructed, entirely fictional 'groups' fighting/ competing with other (equally fictional) groups.

kwikfix

Club Legend
Jul 11, 2016
In your head
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe you should stop posting references to an 'imam' that isn't recognised by any kind of Islamic authority in Australia or the world.

http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles/2017/04/11/4651763.htm

You used to be reasonable to debate with, instead of resorting to the same flaky talking points, Bill Leak cartoons, and non stop spamming of sarcasm and memes. Not holding my breath for a change though.

On topic - as others have pointed out, 'they' are not 'us'. Simple.

saudi wahhabism more to your liking?

Oct 9, 2009
CR0
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
If you haven't already, I'd recommend a look at this book;

https://monoskop.org/images/4/4e/Said_Edward_Orientalism_1979.pdf

It is Edward Said's Orientalism, studied it back in second year uni, incredibly rich book by one of the twentieth-century's great thinkers. Famous too, you'll find a million reviews/discussions online to get you started if you are interested. This is the first version but in the later editions he addresses some of the criticisms directed towards his thesis.

Anyways, running through the whole thing is a discussion of 'the Other'. Pretty pertinent to this discussion, I would have thought.

Leper

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2004
E106o44' S06o17'
AFL Club
Richmond
It was the top news story on CNN, BBC and Channel News Asia. Had extensive coverage.

I'm not surprised to hear that, as those are international news channels.

My OP is largely a dig at the insular nature of Australian media, in which major international events (good or bad) often take a back seat to mindless drivel..... the latest being a Melbourne mum who wants to "live stream" her forthcoming birth on Facebook.

awaremind

Premiership Player
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
This behaviour extends to the behaviour of some nations in the UN where the US in particular has in the past refused to back resolutions that condemn Al Qaeda suicide car bombings that killed dozens including children in the heart of Syrian cities. Obviously if that happens in western nation the treatment is very different.

I have relatives in Paris so I can empathise more readily. I lived in the UK for a couple of years, so I can empathise more readily. The bus bomb from years ago was even on the same route my bus took to and from work.

The political system is not seen to be the same, so who do you protest to? The causes are never straight forward so who do you blame?

Are there any leaders representing these people that we recognise? Anyone who can explain it in a way that elicits more empathy?

People care, they just don't know what they can do to change things.

The commercial news systems are there to make money with as little effort as possible, so they have no interest in teaching the general public about it and bringing them around.

Mind you though the return of Schapelle also falls into the category of "other". Bogan convicted drug smuggler, why should I get that shoved down my throat.

awaremind

Premiership Player
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mind you though the return of Schapelle also falls into the category of "other". Bogan convicted drug smuggler, why should I get that shoved down my throat.
We have much more sympathy for Australian convicted drug smugglers than for children in the Middle East. (Unless of course they can be used as a reason to go to war. If it's in our (hidden rulers)interest.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back