NXT Discussion Thread (On FOX8, Kayo and Binge)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah Balor has been face since the WALTER feud had begun, but there was no definitive turn and it’s clear that he’s not main roster clean cut babyface, he’s just post heel turn Balor but he’s going against heels instead.

I didn't think anything on this show was particularly great, but I do think it was better than the sum of its parts. It flowed well, there was good variety, it wasn't too long.

- I'm glad Io won. It was much deserved. I'm a bit concerned about Ripley though, it sure looks like they've lost a bit of faith in her. And to see her promos? It might be warranted.

- Gargano sucks as a heel. I know wrestlers need to be creative and try different things, but why would you turn the best face in the company when he's so bad at being a heel? The match was really good, but it was because of Lee more than Gargano.

- I don't know where Ciampa goes from here. That's losses to Cole, Gargano and Kross since coming back. He's barely even a gatekeeper any more. He either goes up to Raw or SD now, which he's always resisted, or he needs time off for re-packaging. (He can probably do another job to Timothy Thatcher in a couple of weeks before taking time off if they're high on Thatcher.)

- The presentation of Kross is getting better and better, but I can do without the geek trainees chanting "fall and pray" at him... technically they should be chanting it at his opponent shouldn't they?

- The backlot brawl was much closer to the Ciampa/Gargano end of the cinematic match spectrum than it is to Firefly. It just didn't seem like it even needed to be a cinematic match. This is the only thing on the card that I was really negative on, cos it wasn't a good match, it wasn't that entertaining or creative, and it should've been better when they had the benefit of a pre-record with edits.

but I can do without the geek trainees chanting "fall and pray" at him... technically they should be chanting it at his opponent shouldn't they?
The WWE performance centre crowd is really annoying, it feels like a lot of people there have never watched wrestling before.

The WWE performance centre crowd is really annoying, it feels like a lot of people there have never watched wrestling before.

it's either that or it feels so put on and not organic. I need to chant "this is awesome" just because, not that anything is actually awesome. They did a "this is awesome" chant at the start of the 6 woman tag (either before the action started or a few minutes in, I can't recall the specifics). It definitely was NOT awesome at this time (or any time actually).

it's either that or it feels so put on and not organic. I need to chant "this is awesome" just because, not that anything is actually awesome. They did a "this is awesome" chant at the start of the 6 woman tag (either before the action started or a few minutes in, I can't recall the specifics). It definitely was NOT awesome at this time (or any time actually).

There were a couple of points today and yesterday that made me wonder if the trainees are jack of it, and are now taking the piss out of it. There was a "you still got it" chant today, which is pretty widely regarded as the most hated chant among wrestlers.

Crowd is deffs being micromanaged.

There were a couple of points today and yesterday that made me wonder if the trainees are jack of it, and are now taking the piss out of it. There was a "you still got it" chant today, which is pretty widely regarded as the most hated chant among wrestlers.

long day(s) of tapings doesn't help. at least us fans can pause the show (and come to back it later), fast forward through the rubbish, or just not watch.

All chants by wrestling crowds suck. One of the things that is so refreshing watching old wrestling is the crowd cheer or limit their chants to supporting a specific wrestler (eg "RVD RVD" or "Y2J Y2J"). I hate the constant chanting that goes on these days it is cringeworthy and ruins the show for me. I can deal with "holy s**t" if something crazy happens but even then the reaction is better than having to chant. It's like someone saying "that's funny" or "LOL" instead of just laughing.

Anyway rant over. 😂

All chants by wrestling crowds suck. One of the things that is so refreshing watching old wrestling is the crowd cheer or limit their chants to supporting a specific wrestler (eg "RVD RVD" or "Y2J Y2J"). I hate the constant chanting that goes on these days it is cringeworthy and ruins the show for me. I can deal with "holy s**t" if something crazy happens but even then the reaction is better than having to chant. It's like someone saying "that's funny" or "LOL" instead of just laughing.

Anyway rant over. 😂

wrestling was better when faces were cheered and heels were booed, instead of the 50:50 split we have these days.

Anyway rant over. 😂

In hindsight it was inevitable. As WWE steadily pushed away 'normal' adult fans, what was left? Geeks and obsessives.

Last edited:
wrestling was better when faces were cheered and heels were booed, instead of the 50:50 split we have these days.
The thing is though, we are in a day of "smart fans" who know the heel wants to be booed. So instead of going "I don't like you, boo" you get "you are doing a good job in being a heel, cheer'. I know I am guilty of it. One of my favourite heel promos was Alexa Bliss post the Elimination Chamber when she faked a face turn. I didn't boo, I cheered because it was a good heel thing to do.

The thing is though, we are in a day of "smart fans" who know the heel wants to be booed. So instead of going "I don't like you, boo" you get "you are doing a good job in being a heel, cheer'. I know I am guilty of it. One of my favourite heel promos was Alexa Bliss post the Elimination Chamber when she faked a face turn. I didn't boo, I cheered because it was a good heel thing to do.

WWE faces tend to be bland particularly in comparison to what WWE faces once were. The bad guys are more interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In hindsight it was inevitable. As WWE steadily pushed away 'normal' adult fans, what was left? Geeks and obsessives.

It's also a consequence of WWE moving more towards "entertainment" and further away from "sports". Fans are more self aware that cheering for the character is ridiculous considering it's pre-determined so they instead cheer the person with chants like "you still got it" or "you deserve this". And of course their role as fans is now one of audience participation rather than spectators/supporters. I don't know when this changed but I assume sometime between 2001 and 2012 when I didn't really watch any wrestling whatsoever. Rewatching Attitude Era/Invasion storyline and it seems the Austin "What?" chant seems to be kickstarting it.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

It's also a consequence of WWE moving more towards "entertainment" and further away from "sports". Fans are more self aware that cheering for the character is ridiculous considering it's pre-determined so they instead cheer the person with chants like "you still got it" or "you deserve this". And of course their role as fans is now one of audience participation rather than spectators/supporters. I don't know when this changed but I assume sometime between 2001 and 2012 when I didn't really watch any wrestling whatsoever. Rewatching Attitude Era/Invasion storyline and it seems the Austin "What?" chant seems to be kickstarting it.

Just my 2 cents anyway.
I think it is just a natural progression of the industry and the times we live in. With the internet and ease of watching the product the audience is just smarter. What WWE (and AEW) could do is present their characters and story and use fan reactions more to guide future ones. A good example of this was the failed Becky Lynch heel turn. She turned heel. Cut a heel promo. The fans rejected her being a heel and in turn became badass face. A bad example of this is Roman Reigns not turning heel for the longest time.

Just present your characters and allow for more organic and engaging story telling.

Remember 3-4 years ago when NXT was can't-miss?

I have no idea what it is I'm meant to get excited about on this show now, everyone that they're pushing sucks except Keith Lee and Io Shirai.

I have no idea what it is I'm meant to get excited about on this show now, everyone that they're pushing sucks except Keith Lee and Io Shirai.

If the next Takeover show is good, but not great, then questions should be asked.

TBH, I don't think any wrestling without a good crowd is can't-miss atm

TakeOvers were can't miss until this year. Weekly show has never been super great.

TBH, I don't think any wrestling without a good crowd is can't-miss atm

It's not even about the crowds for me. In fact this week I was thinking that WWE has really started to find a niche here. No crowds will never be as good, but the controlled environment with puppet crowds has a cool early-to-mid 90s WCW studio feel about it.

I think there's a couple of things going on:

- since the tv deal it's lost the air of development, which added a lot of newness and freshness. At the moment it's very stale and repetitive - as good as they are, we've been staring at UE, Gargano, Ciampa and even Balor for a really long time. The only involvement of the crowd absence here is that I suspect UE would be on Smackdown by now if we had crowds.

- some of the people that they've introduced just ******* suck. Priest and Grimes are the worst featured wrestlers/characters we've seen on NXT since Corbin. Priest reminds me of a less charismatic Corbin actually, which is about the most insulting thing you could say about someone. The Imperium guys aren't s**t without WALTER. Their women's division is struggling more than it ever has. It's like the only characters they have are annoying ones. So you're either a pain in the arse, or you're completely interchangeable. (With Shirai and Ripley being the obvious exceptions... but even Ripley's entrance and promos concern me, cos they're hokey as s**t.)

(edit: swear filter is back... since when?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back