NZ vs WI (2 Tests, 3 T20I)

Remove this Banner Ad

(literally 18 months ago Braithwaite, admittedly in the absence of a heap of good rivals, would have been close to opening for a world XI)
Maybe 2.5 years ago. 18 months ago he was well into his run of not making a 50 for 10 tests and averaging 12 in the preceding 12 months.

Boy this kid can play. Turns down a single for his maiden 50 on debut to protect his partner.

before he debuted for TT a guy I chat to on a Windies Facebook page told me to look out for JDS - within a handful of games he’d hit a century and a 50. He Hit a hundred in the intrasquad game in England too. Has some real class

Also before we are to critical of the West Indies just look at what happened at the start of the year when Indian toured. They lost by 10 wickets with NZ chasing 9 down and 7 wickets with NZ chasing down 130. India were unable to score 300 in any of their innings

Also before we are to critical of the West Indies just look at what happened at the start of the year when Indian toured. They lost by 10 wickets with NZ chasing 9 down and 7 wickets with NZ chasing down 130. India were unable to score 300 in any of their innings

It’s wishful thinking but the idea of a 3-4 match series I think would have given us a decent opportunity to do something.

think we bowled reasonably - Williamson’s knock in the first test was exceptional. Him aside I think we did ok with the ball, our fielding was horrendous and a 200-300 bowling effort in the first innings here turned into 460 purely through deplorable catching.

campvell gets a C- for me (so a bare pass) thanks to 68 and a couple of determined efforts seeing off the new ball.

Blackwood gets a pass obviously. Da Silva has to stay in. Holder has to bat higher. Chase has to play first class cricket for a while. Bravo - well what do you say. I guess he can still do it, he made a good hundred in the tour match but he looks like he doesn’t know which end of the bat to hold.
Braithwaite too made 240 in the tour match. Didn’t count for much in the middle.

I think dowrich’s way back in is as a batsman. He’s a shaky keeper.

New Zealand’s bowlers were pretty relentless

It’s wishful thinking but the idea of a 3-4 match series I think would have given us a decent opportunity to do something.

think we bowled reasonably - Williamson’s knock in the first test was exceptional. Him aside I think we did ok with the ball, our fielding was horrendous and a 200-300 bowling effort in the first innings here turned into 460 purely through deplorable catching.

campvell gets a C- for me (so a bare pass) thanks to 68 and a couple of determined efforts seeing off the new ball.

Blackwood gets a pass obviously. Da Silva has to stay in. Holder has to bat higher. Chase has to play first class cricket for a while. Bravo - well what do you say. I guess he can still do it, he made a good hundred in the tour match but he looks like he doesn’t know which end of the bat to hold.
Braithwaite too made 240 in the tour match. Didn’t count for much in the middle.

Undoubtedly NZs bowlers are great especially at home. The slower pace and more control relying on movement as opposed to the West Indies who are more out and out quicks just didn’t adjust quickly enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The windies were better in the second no doubt. Their top order batting is the big problem.

Also balancing out some of the positives is that they had the best of the bowling conditions in both tests and still conceded big scores.

For NZ it was good to see the batters do well on green tops. Williamson's innings in the first test was one of the great NZ test innings imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back