Oakeshott's Back Baby!

Remove this Banner Ad

First Windsor now Oakeshott.

It's a bit like the Blues Brothers getting the band back together.
Is Gillard standing? That would be awesome.

Someone like Pope needs to do a Cartoon with Windsor as Jake, Oakeshott as Elwood, Turnbull and Co as the Cops with Abbott and Co as the Illinois Nazi's and Barnaby and Co as the Good Ol' Boys.

Last edited:

What did he even do when he was in Parliament to be considered any good?

That's a reasonable question. I guess the main answer is helped push a bunch of reasonable and well thought out policies mainly during the hung parliament.

But isn't it strange that we ask this question of an independent but almost never of the major party candidates. In their case the answer is all to often "voted in lock-step with my party and gave my faction more power". In other words sweet FA for their constituents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a reasonable question. I guess the main answer is helped push a bunch of reasonable and well thought out policies mainly during the hung parliament.

But isn't it strange that we ask this question of an independent but almost never of the major party candidates. In their case the answer is all to often "voted in lock-step with my party and gave my faction more power". In other words sweet FA for their constituents.
But seriously what did he do?

I'm well known to give credit where its due to Keating, Hawke, Howard, Costello, Ferguson and others but Oakeshott is not someone I'd give any credit to.

Temporarily stopped Abbott from becoming PM.
In other words, he put my party into government.

No s**t, you're a Liberal voter.
And you're a Labor/Greens voter? I voted for Rudd back in 2007 so I'm what you called a swinging voter. One of those voters you're actually meant to win across. I have no love for either of the major parties.

Next time make sure you shout out "YOU'RE A WHITE MALE!" too.

No he kept a bunch of dangerous incompetent *******s out of power for just a little bit longer.
So definitely, the party I support is in government then.

But seriously what did he do?

I'm well known to give credit where its due to Keating, Hawke, Howard, Costello, Ferguson and others but Oakeshott is not someone I'd give any credit to.

You've named a bunch of prime ministers and senior ministers who were each in parliament for decades. Oakeshott was and independent in federal parliament for about 5 years so it's a bit silly to expect him to have had that sort of impact.

But he was part of delivering a lot of infrastructure and services for regional Australia that's never happened under either major parties previously. A big example was the NBN. By backing the Gillard government he was able to ensure that regional Australia got reliable access to high quality communications, something that has been a problem for decades.

Here's a question: What has Luke Hartsuyker done in 15 years in parliament? I'd venture Oakeshott achieved a heap more for his constituents in 5 than Hartsuker has in 15.

Double awesome if Wayne Swan came back too. He's probably too busy making squillions as a prop trader for Goldmans though.
Didn't realise he was gone.

And you're a Labor/Greens voter? I voted for Rudd back in 2007 so I'm what you called a swinging voter. One of those voters you're actually meant to win across. I have no love for either of the major parties.

Next time make sure you shout out "YOU'RE A WHITE MALE!" too.
Were you even old enough to vote on 07?

You've named a bunch of prime ministers and senior ministers who were each in parliament for decades. Oakeshott was and independent in federal parliament for about 5 years so it's a bit silly to expect him to have had that sort of impact.

Good, all I actually really needed to know.

Were you even old enough to vote on 07?
:$, not really but I would have voted Rudd. Voted for Labor 2010, Liberals 2013.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back