Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ers-agree-to-trade-for-marshawn-lynchs-rights

Marshawn Lynch officially is a member of the Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders announced Wednesday they acquired Lynch in a trade with the Seattle Seahawks. Lynch and the Raiders earlier agreed to terms on a contract that allows him to come out of retirement and play for his hometown team.

The only thing that was standing in the way of the trade was Lynch passing a physical for the Raiders, which he did on Wednesday morning, a source informed of the situation said.

The draft compensation will be a swap of late-round picks in 2018. Seattle gets Oakland's fifth-round pick in exchange for Lynch and the Seahawks' sixth-round pick, according to the Raiders.

"Yes Lawd 12th man I'm thankful but [expletive] just got REAL I had hella fun in Seattle," Lynch wrote on Twitter shortly before NFL Network's Omar Ruiz saw him at the Raiders' team facility Wednesday morning. "But I'm really from Oakland doe like really really really from Oakland doe... town bizzness breath on me."

Lynch was slated to be in the Bay Area on Tuesday to meet with the Raiders but didn't catch his flight. He arrived Wednesday after returning from a trip to Haiti, where he and former Seahawks teammates Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett have been touring to help build schools and houses.

As is nearly always the case with Lynch, no one was celebrating until the deal was officially done. All parties involved were wary of celebrating a deal until Lynch met with those necessary to complete a deal.

Lynch's contract is a two-year deal with a base of $9 million, with a max value of $16.5 million, per NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

Why a swap of late-round picks in the future? A source said both teams didn't want any uncertainty surrounding this year's picks so close to the start of the draft.

Lynch is also required -- eventually, but not immediately -- to file papers to unretire.

Lynch's move to Oakland caps off months of speculation about his return. He met with the Raiders on April 5 and expressed his desire to play for them. He told them he only wants to play for his hometown team in what amounted to a recruiting visit.

"I think it would be awesome just to have him around," quarterback Derek Carr told NFL Network's Steve Wyche two weeks ago. "He's a great teammate from everyone that I've talked to from the couple of Seahawks that we've had on our team. They love him."

Carr is about to find out what it's like to play alongside Beast Mode.

:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

At 9m guaranteed and 16m w/incentives, you can bet the Raiders are going to extract everything they can out of his 31 year old body. He'll be an every-down back. He won't be a situational/3rd-down back.

It's not 9 million guaranteed, that's the base salary. Base salary does not equate to guaranteed money.

He's going to get roughly 200-220 carries this season. Very similar to how Lat Murray was used. Fits the scheme so much better than Murray though.

The CB class this year is very deep.
The ILB class not so deep. Only a few worth it.
So, yes, Reggie should've or could've more safely drafted Foster and taken a CB in the 2nd round or 3rd. So many really good ones.
In that sense, yes, I agree he should've done that.
I personally wanted Foster. But I'm content with Conley.

You say that Foster's a 'safe' pick. How is Foster a 'safe' pick? His medical is horrible (bad shoulders) and he has significant off-field concerns. Talent wise he's a freak, but these concerns are more than enough to warrant passing on him in the first round.

I have no doubt Conley will get cleared. The Raiders investigation went as far to get the police reports of everyone involved in this situation. It's not as if they're throwing the dice in the air and hoping for snake eyes.

I love the Melifonwu pick. He is EXACTLY what our defense needs. Can play both linebacker, safety and even corner. We'll use him as a tweener. Remember, even though Karl Joseph played in the box last year, his specialty is being the deep safety like Earl Thomas. Melifonwu isn't your Kam Chancellor type but he's adept at covering tight ends from the box, which we will ask him to do. I suspect we'll see a lot of 3 safety formations on D this year (with the 3rd safety substituting for a linebacker whilst still keeping a nickel corner in the slot).

As for Vanderdoes, if they get the Senior Bowl Vanderdoes, they'll have themselves another 1st round talent. I can't really fault Reggie for this draft so far.

You say that Foster's a 'safe' pick. How is Foster a 'safe' pick? His medical is horrible (bad shoulders) and he has significant off-field concerns. Talent wise he's a freak, but these concerns are more than enough to warrant passing on him in the first round.

I have no doubt Conley will get cleared. The Raiders investigation went as far to get the police reports of everyone involved in this situation. It's not as if they're throwing the dice in the air and hoping for snake eyes.

I love the Melifonwu pick. He is EXACTLY what our defense needs. Can play both linebacker, safety and even corner. We'll use him as a tweener. Remember, even though Karl Joseph played in the box last year, his specialty is being the deep safety like Earl Thomas. Melifonwu isn't your Kam Chancellor type but he's adept at covering tight ends from the box, which we will ask him to do. I suspect we'll see a lot of 3 safety formations on D this year (with the 3rd safety substituting for a linebacker whilst still keeping a nickel corner in the slot).

As for Vanderdoes, if they get the Senior Bowl Vanderdoes, they'll have themselves another 1st round talent. I can't really fault Reggie for this draft so far.

Re: Foster -- I was talking out of my ass.

------

One of their first round picks, linebacker Reuben Foster of Alabama, has been put on notice by the league because of a diluted drug testing sample that raised suspicions. Friday in Santa Clara, a reporter noted that Foster’s draft-night party in Miami was sponsored by a company that makes vaporizers for tobacco and marijuana, then asked Foster why.

“This is a new leaf and I’m not answering that,” Foster replied. “I’m not answering that. I’m sorry. Next question.”

Someone needs to tell him that in the NFL, the pro sport which commands America’s largest spotlight, the questions are just beginning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Updated UDFA list. Only 3 teams signed more so far.

Anthony Kukwa/LS/Erie State College
Jordan Wade/Oklahoma
Anthony Cioffi/S/Rutgers
Keon Hatcher/WR/Arkansas
Ahmad Thomas/S/Oklahoma
Pharaoh Brown/TE/Oregon
Isaac Whitney/WR/USC
Ishmael Zamora/WR/Baylor
Tim White/WR/Arizona State
Fadol Brown/DL/Ole Miss
Nicholas Morrow/S/Greenville
Nick Kurtz/WR/BYU
Jordan Simmons/G/USC
Rickey Jefferson/S/LSU
Dylan Wiesman/OL/Tennessee
Bart Houston/QB/Wisconsin (tryout)
Mario Yakoo/G/Boise State (tryout)
Kareem Are/G/FSU (tryout)

--------------------------

With a name like Bart Houston, I'm expecting him to beat out EJ Manuel for the third string job.

And model looks....

Local boy, from Dublin.

Updated UDFA list. Only 3 teams signed more so far.

Anthony Kukwa/LS/Erie State College
Jordan Wade/Oklahoma
Anthony Cioffi/S/Rutgers
Keon Hatcher/WR/Arkansas
Ahmad Thomas/S/Oklahoma
Pharaoh Brown/TE/Oregon
Isaac Whitney/WR/USC
Ishmael Zamora/WR/Baylor
Tim White/WR/Arizona State
Fadol Brown/DL/Ole Miss
Nicholas Morrow/S/Greenville
Nick Kurtz/WR/BYU
Jordan Simmons/G/USC
Rickey Jefferson/S/LSU
Dylan Wiesman/OL/Tennessee
Bart Houston/QB/Wisconsin (tryout)
Mario Yakoo/G/Boise State (tryout)
Kareem Are/G/FSU (tryout)

--------------------------

With a name like Bart Houston, I'm expecting him to beat out EJ Manuel for the third string job.

And model looks....

Local boy, from Dublin.

As soon as he ran a 40-yard dash timed in the 4.3s, Anthony Cioffi to the Oakland Raiders made sense.

It became official Saturday night when the Rutgers safety was one of the first undrafted players in the country to agree to a priority free-agent deal, as first reported by NJ Advance Media.

The Raiders have been obsessed with speed since late owner Al Davis first joined the franchise as a coach in 1963 -- decades before spread offenses further emphasized a need for speed.

"That's something I'm going to really bring to defense and special teams as well," Cioffi told NJ Advance Media. "It's a surreal moment, but now I've got to go out to Oakland and start turning some heads."

Cioffi said he heard from multiple teams Saturday during the fourth through seventh rounds of the NFL Draft but his agent, Matt Marino, was in contact with the Raiders throughout the pre-draft process. He will report to Oakland by Thursday for rookie mini-camp.

"The Raiders had some picks toward the end and they were talking about maybe picking me, so I was really anxious," Cioffi said. "I was one of their first (free agent) calls. It was just a great fit as far as many chances."

After hearing a story of how quarterback Tony Romo once turned down a bigger contract as an undrafted free agent because he saw a better opportunity for playing time with the Cowboys, Cioffi made up his mind that a team's depth chart would be the deciding factor if he had options.

The Raiders only had three safeties with NFL experience on their roster before drafting Obi Melifonwu and Shalom Luani in the second- and seventh-rounds, respectively. LSU safety Rickey Jefferson also reportedly was added as a free agent.

"There's no friends," Cioffi said. "I have to go in with a chip on my shoulder and be ready to take a spot."

Cioffi finished his career as a four-year starter at Rutgers -- two at cornerback, one at free safety, one at strong safety and all four on special teams coverage -- with 168 tackles, eight interceptions, three forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and 2.5 sacks.

The Springfield native worked with respected trainer Chip Smith in Atlanta before the draft. He ran a Smith-verified 4.37 seconds in the 40-yard dash, but his time slipped to 4.50 and he was penalized on his vertical leap at Rutgers Pro Day, with a Raiders scout in attendance.

"They said they are bringing in eight guys who are safeties or hybrids and keeping five out of the eight," Cioffi said. "I'm very comfortable with those odds. The main thing is it's not about money. It's about making the roster. It's more about my chance to get on the field."

A social media video showed the Cioffi household exploding with excitement when the call came with news that he was headed to the Raiders. The family, which is friendly with Minnesota Vikings owner and New Jersey resident Zygi Wilf, planned to quickly stock up on Raiders gear.

"My mom is already on Amazon clicking away," he joked.

The Raiders are scheduled to move Las Vegas by no later than 2020 but will play in Oakland in 2017. Cioffi is determined to win over fans in either city -- or both.

"You are going to get a guy who is going to give it his all for the organization," Cioffi said. "Someone who plays with heart and a chip on his shoulder. It's a dream to play in the NFL, and I'm not going to pass it up for anything. Nothing is going to be in my way."

Ryan Dunleavy may be reached at rdunleavy@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @rydunleavy. Find NJ.com Rutgers Football on Facebook.

Obi will probably start as TE cover then take over at FS. My friend over there loves this guy. Could have been a 1st round pick.

I love him too, really wish we would have taken him with the first of our second round picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back