Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Raiders signed DT Johnathan Hankins, formerly of the Colts.

With both DTs P.J. Hall and Justin Ellis battling foot injuries sustained in Week 1, the Raiders need help. Hankins is a real solid get at this stage. He's just 26 and is coming off another productive year with the Colts after spending his first four years with the Giants. Hankins could see immediate snaps.
Related: Colts

Source: Scott Bair on Twitter

passing the buck off to gruden now....

That's a massive disconnect. Carr told to get rid of it to avoid a mistake, rather than wait for a play to develop....

Sounds like Gruden would be better off with a short range QB, who can run after 2.2 seconds when the first two options are not there.

Waste of a potentially great WR though.

That's a massive disconnect. Carr told to get rid of it to avoid a mistake, rather than wait for a play to develop....

Sounds like Gruden would be better off with a short range QB, who can run after 2.2 seconds when the first two options are not there.

Waste of a potentially great WR though.
Its partly true. Gruden preaches no turnovers. But Carr has steadily become gun shu.

Raiders coach Jon Gruden called out Derek Carr explicitly for turning down open throws.

Carr played tentatively for the entire 2017 season, but it was widely chalked up to a back injury. He continued to play tentatively bordering on afraid in Monday night's loss to the Rams, and Gruden called out Carr for not pulling the trigger to open wide receivers. "(Amari) Cooper was open deep, he was open a couple times," Gruden said after watching the All-22 tape. "For whatever reason, we didn't go there." This is a head coach publicly criticizing his quarterback, not a common occurrence in today's league. If Carr doesn't improve Sunday in Denver, his leash may begin to shorten.

Source: Vic Tafur on Twitter

Just on first watch i thought kolton miller was pretty good.

Von Miller talking up Kolton. Probably a relative. See what happens this weekend.

77 [Kolton Miller] is a beast,” said Miller Wednesday. “He was the best tackle in this year’s draft. I’ve always said the Raiders have the best offensive line in football. They made it a whole lot better with the Miller kid.”

Raiders injury report
Player Pos. Injury Wednesday Thursday Friday Game Status
Andrew DePaola LS Knee DNP
Justin Ellis DT Foot DNP
P.J. Hall DT Ankle DNP
Dwayne Harris WR Foot LIMITED
Rodney Hudson G Ankle LIMITED
Gabe Jackson G Pectoral LIMITED
Brandon LaFell WR Back LIMITED
Marshawn Lynch RB Shoulder LIMITED
Brian Price DT Hamstring LIMITED
Johnny Townsend P Quad (right) LIMITED
DeAndre Washington RB Knee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Raiders placed DT Justin Ellis (foot) on injured reserve.

He has multiple sprained ligaments in his foot. It's a big blow to Oakland's run defense, which got shredded in Week 1 by Todd Gurley. Ellis is a 334-pound space eater in the middle, and fellow DT P.J. Hall (ankle) also emerged from Monday night's loss with a concerning injury. The Raiders next visit Denver, where Royce Freeman and Phillip Lindsay are coming off promising openers.

Raiders placed DT Justin Ellis (foot) on injured reserve.

He has multiple sprained ligaments in his foot. It's a big blow to Oakland's run defense, which got shredded in Week 1 by Todd Gurley. Ellis is a 334-pound space eater in the middle, and fellow DT P.J. Hall (ankle) also emerged from Monday night's loss with a concerning injury. The Raiders next visit Denver, where Royce Freeman and Phillip Lindsay are coming off promising openers.
Hankins and McDonald straight in. Rucker can play DT, give Brown some playing time at DE.

Sliding doors....

What if two years ago, we gave Mack a new contract, not Carr, and traded Carr to the Browns for their #1 overall pick, and then drafted Myles Garrett to pair alongside Mack.

That's what I was espousing a couple years ago.

By 2018 draft, we would've been able to draft Josh Rosen and been in good stead, with Rosen needing 2018 to acclimate, and then 2019 our year to make a run.

Yes? No? Or where we are now better?

Sliding doors....

What if two years ago, we gave Mack a new contract, not Carr, and traded Carr to the Browns for their #1 overall pick, and then drafted Myles Garrett to pair alongside Mack.

By 2018 draft, we would've been able to draft Josh Rosen and been in good stead, with Rosen needing 2018 to acclimate, and then 2019 our year to make a run.

Don't think Carr would have extended with the Browns, so they wouldn't have given up their first pick. Although lots of money might have got Carr signed.

Sliding doors....

Of course you are, Mack has at least played up to, (if not succeed) the money on his contract the past two seasons, Carr isn't meeting a tenth of his. No return on investment whatsoever right now.

David Carr was a hot shot too coming out of college, played behind a shaky line and his confidence was shot never to return, Derek has the line but the injury has head ****ed him in a very similar way to his brother.

Hope he can turn it round for the sake of you guys but its a massive worry right now.

Last edited:
Last year our D was rated 26th. Who's still there?

Raiders defensive coordinator Paul Guenther, when asked what he saw on film from free safety Reggie Nelson: “Nothing. I mean, I’ve seen what I’ve seen all along. You guys like to beat up Reggie a lot around here, I see. I think that he understands what’s going on. He understands what we’re looking for in the big picture. I don’t think Reggie stuck out (more than) any other guy on Monday night. He’s going to continue to progress and like I said, utilize everybody back there.”

Meanwhile Joseph can't get on the field or is used at SS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back