Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope we see a lot of King...

Denver Broncos punter Marquette King seemingly has some hard feelings regarding his departure from the Oakland Raiders.

When asked about Raiders head coach Jon Gruden on Wednesday by Mike Klis of 9News in Denver, King played it coy, saying, "Who's that? I don't know who you're talking about."

One game in and everything's being thrown out and the Raiders are rebuilding.

These so called experts don't know anything.

Yeah, Carr played poorly but it's one game in, against one of the NFC's top contenders for a SB berth.

So Gruden is doing a full rebuild. Removing everyone he can from before his time and starting again. Hope for your sake he doesn't follow the Carlton model. It would be nice to see the Raiders do more than just flirt with the playoffs for the next decade.

damn. i still like gruden...but i don't like his bullshit sometimes. he says how hatcher "earned it" and how he (gruden) woulda been "thrown from the plane" if we didn't keep him. then ...he just dumps him.
======
Hatcher tweeted “cant trust anyone” after getting cut on his birthday...
======
see...that's the s**t i don't like. that day raiders had tweeted out happy birthday to him as well. i mean come on....why the bullshit. i don't blame hatcher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There seems to be a lull in the reaction to last week in the media and not much about this week. Everyone given up already?
It's true Gruden being away 10 years has shown he needs time to re-learn and adjust to the way things are. Tho he put together a very competitive team still against a raging hot SB favorite. We were 20-13 down against them with half a 4th Qtr to go. We also were beating up on them thruout the first half. Good positive signs.

I think the dismay is more in regards to Derek Carr. Or on the offense, Carr and Gruden combined. I reckon Gruden game-planned to beat the Rams the way we saw the game....tons of quick releases, dinks and dunks, try to control the ball moving the chains like that, make no turnovers. But the Rams DC, Wade Phillips adjusted better than Gruden in the second half, and bottled up this game-plan of Gruden's. And this is where Carr also lacks eliteness. An elite QB would make his own adjustments, see what they were doing and try to change it up, also personally take it upon himself to get his own receivers into the game anyways, his best receiver, Cooper. But Carr is nowhere near the brains of a Brees/etc where he can take a game on his shoulders and get the ball where it needs to go REGARDLESS how great the D is or not.

It's true Gruden being away 10 years has shown he needs time to re-learn and adjust to the way things are. Tho he put together a very competitive team still against a raging hot SB favorite. We were 20-13 down against them with half a 4th Qtr to go. We also were beating up on them thruout the first half. Good positive signs.

I thought we had them at halftime. They had no one on the edge rush so Carr had time. Their whole D looked confused. Our penalties were keeping them in the game.
If not for Johnson's INT we would have been up enough to make their QB force plays. Instead in the second half our D slowed. Not sure if they tired or was the injuries but they got the run game going and that was it.
Not sure how match fit Hankins is. Surely Joseph comes in at FS.

I thought we had them at halftime. They had no one on the edge rush so Carr had time. Their whole D looked confused. Our penalties were keeping them in the game.
If not for Johnson's INT we would have been up enough to make their QB force plays. Instead in the second half our D slowed. Not sure if they tired or was the injuries but they got the run game going and that was it.
Not sure how match fit Hankins is. Surely Joseph comes in at FS.
Rams starters were all rusty that's for sure. Having not played a single down during pre-season. But Phillips out-adjusted Gruden in the second half is where the game was lost. We didn't apply any Offensive pressure, which we need to do against such a top-rated D.

Raiders' Jon Gruden, Reggie McKenzie likely heading for a split before 2019 NFL Draft
Sources around the league expect this to be McKenzie's last year with the franchise

1h ago

There were no shortage of rumblings about the long-term viability of Raiders new head coach Jon Gruden and incumbent general manager Reggie McKenzie when the former Super Bowl-winning coach took over the franchise in January, and at this point executives around the NFL would be shocked if Oakland does not shake up its front office in 2019.

Yes, it's still early, and the Raiders have only played one game under this management group, but the dynamics between the two have not been great and Gruden's actions and comments alone point to significant change in the offseason. The Raiders' recent drafts have produced few players and Gruden's staff has already cut a host of former top picks. The franchise is under intense scrutiny for the way the Khalil Mack holdout and subsequent trade was handled, and facing a potential rebuilding year despite the oldest roster in the NFL, it's clear already the Raiders will be doing more extreme personnel shuffling in the years to come.

It is absolutely imperative that the Raiders maximize the return in the next two drafts -- with four first-round picks in that span that will form the young core of the team as it relocates to Las Vegas -- and numerous general managers, personnel directors and NFL officials would be shocked if there are not new decision-makers in place in Oakland well before the 2019 draft. It's being viewed as a near certainty in industry circles, and Gruden has a vast network of former colleagues he could potentially call upon from his previous stints in the NFL, as well as a group of young rising executives at other clubs who may be intrigued about working with him.

Gruden has immense power and control within the Raiders franchise, with owner Mark Davis chasing him for years with huge contracts trying to lure him back, and, especially if this is a difficult season for them in the AFC West, more sweeping changes are anticipated next January to secure the front office that will eventually make the move to Nevada.

He’s given up on Carr being an out of rhythm QB. In other words, not elite. Ever.

============

From Ted Nguyen.....

Marshawn Lynch, who is typically good in pass protection, was late a few times. As you saw in the clips above, pressure also came at inopportune times when the Raiders might have had a chance at a big play. Carr made some plays outside of the pocket in the first half but he seemed unwilling to do so in the second half. I’ve lost hope that Carr will ever be an effective out-of-structure quarterback, but he has to be at least average. He was well below average in this aspect against the Rams and it cost the Raiders a chance to win the game.

Speaking about the second interception after the game, Carr said, “I went to throw it away, then kind of, maybe gave the bench route a chance but I saw the dude underneath it so I tried to pull it back with my hand and obviously that’s why it looked so terrible.”

It looked like Carr had a chance to hit Seth Roberts, who should have been his second read, in the seam but didn’t do it for whatever reason. He might have seen Peters closing in on the seam. Instead of throwing the ball away, he should have tried to break the pocket to extend the play. The edge defender Ebukam (No. 50) had his head down and his shoulders were turned inside.

Before practice on Wednesday, Carr said that Gruden wanted him to throw the ball away rather than make a mistake and noted, “We’re trying to find that line together.” The question is whether Gruden wants to limit Carr in this manner as an overarching philosophy or just for this game against a dangerous defensive line. The truly elite quarterbacks make plays out of structure. Even the sluggish Tom Brady does; it’s not his strong suit but he’ll do it. This is simply a part of Carr’s game that he has to get better at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back