Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

The Raiders found themselves breathing in wildfire smoke during practice Thursday as a quick moving blaze tore through the Chico area. The impact of the fire was felt through much of Northern California, and The Las Vegas Review-Journal’s Michael Gehlken noted the air quality in Alameda took a turn for the worse in the midst of Raiders practice.

“It’s the NFL. Obviously there is going to be changes every year on every team, that’s just part of the business,” Guenther said. “Having our vision was to bring in some young guys in the draft, we did that and they’re playing. We’re going through some growing pains with the young guys. Hopefully the more and more snaps they get, the back end of the year here and going into year two we’re going to see massive improvements.”

“Obviously I’ve been a part of and with a lot of good defenses in the past,” Guenther said. “There’s certain things and breakdowns … that I’m not used to seeing. And again, it is a patience thing, but I’m not the most patient guy and I want to get this stuff fixed quickly.

“That’s part of the evaluation process with the guys we have now moving forward in the last eight games to see what guys we want to keep here and what guys we want to move on with.”

Guenther has leaned on rookies Arden Key, Maurice Hurst and P.J. Hall, as well as youngsters Gareon Conley, Marquel Lee and Daryl Worley to play sizable roles on a defense whose veterans (Tahir Whitehead, Rashaan Melvin, Reggie Nelson, etc.) haven’t exactly shined.

Friday afternoon, the Butte County Sheriff’s Office said there was a sixth fatality in the Camp Fire near Chico which has grown to 90,000 acres and was just five percent contained. Earlier, the sheriff’s office reported five people were found in dead in vehicles torched by flames. Those victims were all found in the town of Paradise, where all 27,000 residents were ordered to evacuate Thursday.

Butte County Sheriff Korey Honea told television stations KHSL/KNVN in Chico that additional reports of deaths are being investigated. Three firefighters have been injured, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire).

Vegas Raiders fan rubbing the devastating wild fires in the faces of fans in Northern Cali.

Vegas Home of Raider Nation@LVRaiders4Life
Replying to @KendraSMoyes and 2 others
Clear and beautiful 62*

Having spoken to a few people very much in the know, no one believes that Guenther is going anywhere. I would go as far to say that I highly doubt any coach at this point will be relieved of their duties for 2019.

Should also consider that very few people on their defense as it currently stands will be on the roster next year. I only think there will be the three rookie linemen, Nick Nelson, Conley, Worley, Erik Harris, Frostee Rucker and maybe Marquel Lee. And I doubt many of these players would be in 2019, the same major roles that they're currently in today.

Add a few rookie draft picks, sign a few impact guys in free agency who aren't bottom tiered guys, and this D will look markedly different.

I've noticed last couple years whatever you (chewy) or the myriad best writers say from inside sources, the opposite occurs. Imo then there's a great purge.

Last year I said there would be a major purge on the coaching staff, and there was.

There's still 8 games to go and anything can happen however.

It would be a travesty if this staff goes 1-15 or so and no shake up, including Gruden himself.

I've personally thought that Gruden could potentially leave if they went 1-15. But everyone I've spoken to, even people within the building who are very much Gruden doubters, say he's in this for the long haul.

I really am not expecting any changes. If there are changes, at this stage they'll be minimal.

I've personally thought that Gruden could potentially leave if they went 1-15. But everyone I've spoken to, even people within the building who are very much Gruden doubters, say he's in this for the long haul.

I really am not expecting any changes. If there are changes, at this stage they'll be minimal.
Any rumors or info about possible GMs? Status of McKenzie safe or not? If not any idea if there'll be a GM and whether he'll have true power or just a right hand man for Jonny boy??

Any rumors or info about possible GMs? Status of McKenzie safe or not? If not any idea if there'll be a GM and whether he'll have true power or just a right hand man for Jonny boy??

RM likely gone at this stage unless Gruden doesn't care if MD fires him. In any case, RM is not a part of any decision making anymore. He is more a secretary than a GM. Gruden has minimised him, and rightly so imo.

Look for Bruce Allen to return eventually. Will it be 2019? I'm not sure. Could be 2020 if Allen can't get out of Washington next year.

Whoever comes in as the top front office executive in title, will have significantly more power than RM, but Gruden will still have the ultimate final say. At the end of the day, there are plenty of coaches whom have the final say as well. That isn't an issue imo. The issue is who you are relaying your ideas off. Right now, RM is not someone who has a clue of how to assemble a good team together. At least someone like BA has had multiple years of success with different teams. He knows what a winner should look like, and has a positive history of working with Gruden.

I'd love to see Scot McCloughan join the Raiders in some sort of capacity, but I doubt that would happen. He was very close to joining in early 2015, and even was a guest in MD's suite at the Coliseum for the final home game of 2014, but MD didn't want to give power to Scot. Rather, he wanted Scot and RM to work collaboratively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It really all does come down to coaching. There are a lot of ex-recent-Raiders (RM cut and JG cut) that we decided weren't developing, but that other coaches have, or at least have found ways to use them, make them effective in limited roles.

Murray, Patterson, Switzer, Heyward-Bey, Mitchell, Carrie, Hayden, Crawford, Ward, etc etc.

Some players at where this roster was, weren't worth keeping around at their price tag. Doesn't mean they didn't want to keep them.

Gruden wanted to keep Patterson, Autry and Carrie in a perfect world but couldn't afford Carrie and Autry whilst Patterson was getting too much for his marginalised role. Given where the roster was, he decided cutting bait and get the extra cap space would help the team more long term. Agree they should've kept Switzer.

Love seeing Mike Mitchell and DHB still in the league. Two long standings NFL vets who were under the biggest of microscopes because they were perceived NFL busts before even entering the league because they were picked by Al Davis. The old man still drafted better than RM even in his final years.

Clearly there's dysfunction going on in the coaching staff. A team doesn't play so badly unless there's a lot of discord, players not buying in, coaches arguing with each other, etc.

=================

Raiders DC Guenther bemoans roster turnover, including loss of LB NaVorro Bowman

By Luke Straub 2 hours ago Follow @lukejstraub

When Raiders defensive coordinator Paul Guenther first watched film of his new team in Oakland, the personnel was a lot different than it is now.

“When I took the job there were a lot of guys that were either up for free agency or that I thought were going to be on the roster,” Guenther said, per The Mercury News’ Matt Schneidman. “Obviously, there was a lot of changes.”

Apparently, Guenther thought linebacker NaVorro Bowman would be on the team, according to NBC Sports Bay Area’s Scott Bair. Raiders brass chose to sign LB Derrick Johnson instead. Johnson has since been released while Bowman remains a free agent. Here’s an excerpt from Bair’s story on the subject.

Guenther said this winter he thought Khalil Mack would be rushing off the edge, NaVorro Bowman would man the middle and Eddie Vanderdoes (a perfect scheme fit, Guenther says) and Justin Ellis on the defensive interior.

The first guy got traded, the second never re-signed and the last two have been hurt all season but are coming back soon.

The Raiders were expected to re-sign Bowman in the offseason but chose not to. He had 89 tackles for Oakland a season ago in just 10 games and earned the eleventh-best LB grade from Pro Football Focus. Guenther currently oversees the No. 29 rushing defense in the NFL.

Bowman himself thinks the Raiders should have agreed to his terms. Here sent a cryptic tweet during the Raiders’ embarrassing loss to San Francisco.

Another tweet from Bowman came right as the Raiders lost a heartbreaker in Miami on Sep. 23. Oakland allowed multiple back-breaking big plays — many of them on the ground — to the Dolphins that day.

If Guenther thought Bowman would be on the Raiders in 2018, he has something in common with many Raiders fans, as well as Bowman himself. The Raiders chose to go in a different direction, for reasons only they know.

Oakland has neglected the linebacker position for years, which is the reason Bowman was brought on in the first place. They’ll likely have to address the middle of the defense in the upcoming NFL draft.

But Bowman potentially could have helped the Raiders in 2018. And if Guenther thought his defense would have Bowman’s services this season, there’s good news for him: The Raiders can sign him any time they like.

Clearly there's dysfunction going on in the coaching staff. A team doesn't play so badly unless there's a lot of discord, players not buying in, coaches arguing with each other, etc.
I bet a million Belichick coaching this exact defensive roster would have far greater success. Great coaches utilize players' abilities. Bad coaches try to force square pegs into round holes, insistent on scheme/system.

Raiders scout at this game

Daniel Jones has been making waves as a potential first-round NFL Draft pick as a quarterback.

But after a high-velocity game against North Carolina, he could make the case for a solid running back as well.

Duke took down North Carolina 42-35 Saturday afternoon in Wallace Wade Stadium, securing the Victory Bell for the third consecutive year. Both teams went back and forth in the first half, but key plays from Jones gave Duke the advantage it needed to put the game away. The Blue Devil quarterback led the team in rushing yards at 186 and completed 31-of-54 passes, creating 547 yards of total offense, a Duke single-game record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back