Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Always draft bpa otherwise,

Grading Every NFL Team's 2018 Draft
Raiders look better than they should because they pounced on Maurice Hurst at No. 140 after his health-related fall, as he put up four sacks over 13 games. But as a whole, unless coaching shifts create avenues for improvement, this was a dud of a draft class.
  1. Grade: D

Always draft bpa otherwise,

Grading Every NFL Team's 2018 Draft
Raiders look better than they should because they pounced on Maurice Hurst at No. 140 after his health-related fall, as he put up four sacks over 13 games. But as a whole, unless coaching shifts create avenues for improvement, this was a dud of a draft class.
  1. Grade: D
Little unfair.
Reckon the Raiders scored with Miller, Parker, Hurst and Hall.

Indianapolis Colts: 5 Moves That Got Ryan Grigson Fired

Erik Lambert/FanSided via NFL Mocks
Jun 30, 2017 at 10:28p ET

After initially believing the status quo would remain, it seems the Indianapolis Colts decided a change was needed after all.

Owner Jim Irsay, long known for being a man unafraid to make changes, decided that it was time for a big one. After five seasons and three playoff appearances, GM Ryan Grigson was fired according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. It’s certainly an event many Colts fans have looked forward to for a long time. They view Grigson as the primary reason why the team has fallen into such disrepair over the past two seasons.

The thing is the fans may not be alone. Colts reporter Stephen Holder later stated on Twitter that Grigson was “absolutely despised” by many people in the building. Punter Pat McAfee, always an outspoken man, simply tweeted “Thank God” when the news came. Reggie Wayne also came out with “Now we can play ball…” It’s apparent that Grigson had not made a lot of friends during his time in charge. This leads one to wonder how in the world he lasted so long.

Only Irsay can answer that question. At the end of the day it was failures at building the roster around star quarterback Andrew Luck that will be on Grigson’s football epitaph in Indianapolis. Here is a rundown of the five most notable roster moves he made that directly contributed to his downfall.

#5: Pierre Garcon
It’s still a puzzling decision to this day. In 2012, wide receiver Pierre Garcon was coming into his own. All signs pointed to him being the heir apparent to Reggie Wayne. He managed to top 900 receiving yards in 2011 despite catching passes from guys like Curtis Painter. Yet for whatever reason Grigson didn’t make a strong enough move to bring him back. Instead Garcon signed in Washington where he has since topped 1,000 yards twice. One can imagine how great he might’ve been across from T.Y. Hilton with Luck on the trigger.

#4: Bjorn Werner
Many thought he was going to be one of the next great pass rushers in the NFL after notching 13 sacks for Florida State his final college season. However, there were a number of red flags about Bjoern Werner that Grigson ignored. For starters he comparative lack of football experience and also his unfavorable measurables. He appeared to be a poor fit for the Colts’ 3-4 system. Even tougher to think about knowing Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick was still on the board, along with Le’Veon Bell.

#3: Gosder Cherilus
Perhaps nothing sums up the utter lack of understanding on what good offensive linemen look like Grigson had than when he gave a five-year, $34.5 million deal to free agent tackle Gosder Cherilus. Amazing given the fact Grigson himself is a former offensive lineman. Cherilus was a major bust. Not only was he a poor blocker on the field, but he also dealt with frequent injury issues. He left the team after just two seasons and has been a backup in Tampa Bay ever since.

#2: Phillip Dorsett
It really made no sense when the Colts selected Miami receiver Phillip Dorsett with the 29th pick in the 2015 draft. Not only was he the sixth receiver taken in the 1st round, always a red flag, but Grigson clearly passed on getting players at other positions of much greater need. Alabama safety Landon Collins was sitting there, as was offensive tackle Donovan Smith. Both of them would’ve been far more helpful to the team than another undersized receiver who could run fast. Indy already had that with Hilton.

#1: The Trent Richardson trade
As if this being the top choice was any surprise. It’s not so much the fact that Grigson traded for Trent Richardson that ultimately got him in trouble. The idea itself was sound. Indianapolis needed running back help. Richardson looked like the kind of power guy they needed and he showed some signs of life before Cleveland made him available. It was the fact that Grigson gave up a 1st round pick to get him. Not a single person could believe the deal had any business costing that much, which meant the GM likely was hoodwinked into thinking there was competition to get him. Sure enough Richardson was a total flop with the Colts. He failed to top 1,000 yards combined in his two seasons with the team. The team had surrendered a 1st rounder for basically nothing in return. A cardinal sin for a general manager in the NFL. If there was any singular moment that started Grigson down his path to termination, it was this.

Ryan Grigson to Raiders a “done deal”

Posted by Mike Florio on January 4, 2019, 5:56 AM EST

GettyImages-491415725-e1546599375294.jpg

Getty Images

A pair of reports on Thursday linked former Colts G.M. Ryan Grigson to both of the NFL’s Bay Area (for now) teams. One wasn’t accurate, and one wasn’t accurate enough.
As to the report that the 49ers are interested in Grigson, multiple sources tell PFT that the 49ers simply aren’t.
As to the report that Grigson will meet with the Raiders, a league source tells PFT that Grigson to the Raiders is a done deal.
Grigson spent five years as G.M. of the Colts. His tenure was widely regarded as a failure, and he has faced plenty of criticism for his interpersonal skills. But, like former Raiders and Browns coach Hue Jackson, Grigson did well enough in a less-than-highest-level role to reach the top of his profession. So maybe he’ll provide Jon Gruden and Mike Mayock the kind of support they need when it comes to figuring out what to do with three first-round picks.
As long as they don’t trade one for someone line Trent Richardson, use one on someone like Bjoern Werner, or invest one in a position where they’re already stocked, like when the Colts drafted receiver Philip Dorsett.

Carr to the Redskins (jay gruden) in an off-season trade, have Peterman start and mentor the newly drafted Jon Gruden-approved QB.
I really believe that's Jon's plan.
He'll fondly take another 1st + more picks, so he can completely retool the defense.
He might take someone like Will Grier late 1st to early 2nd.

You can't start Peterman...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we are all more than aware Mack going was terrible as far as on field stuff. And turns out he has more than paid the Bears back by propelling them in to the playoffs and making our pick more s**t.

Why the Raiders’ rebuild might not include Derek Carr

By Vincent Frank
January 7, 2019

A lot has been made of the often contentious relationship between Oakland Raiders franchise quarterback Derek Carr and head coach Jon Gruden.

This was brought to an entirely new level during a 2018 campaign in which the Raiders won four games and moved on from two core pieces of a team that earned a surprise playoff spot back in 2016.

If Gruden is indeed looking to blow things up in Oakland (or wherever the Raiders play), wouldn’t Carr himself be part of that process? It seems like we’re sounding a false alarm here. But not a single person could have predicted that Gruden, acting as the de facto general manager, would have traded former NFL Defensive Player of the Year Khalil Mack and Pro Bowl receiver Amari Cooper.

If you had that in the cards when Gruden was hired a year ago this month, I’ll personally fly you out to Vegas as a good-luck charm.

As the Raiders’ prepare for a franchise-altering offseason under first-year general manager Mike Mayock, questions will continue to arise about Carr’s future with the organization. Mayock, an NFL Media personality before behind hired by Oakland, didn’t do much to quiet these rumors during his intro press conference.

“That’s really part of my study right now,” Mayock said when asked about his impression of Carr. “Bottom line, it’s easy to pick names right now, but I’m not going to make a comment on anybody on the current roster until I’ve done a complete deep dive and I’ve had a chance to meet with all of the coaches.”​

Mayock did note that he had Carr as a top-20 pick heading into the 2014 NFL Draft, saying that the Pro Bowler can “fling it.”

In no way is this a representation that Mayock has committed to Carr long-term. “But I am not going to make a comment on anybody on the current roster.” Those are words that suggest Carr’s future with the Raiders is at least in doubt.

Boasting three first-round picks in the 2019 NFL Draft, Oakland hopes to improve its talent-stricken roster leaps and bounds from the product we saw this past season. Even then, there’s very little reason to believe this team will contend in the AFC West with Kansas City and Los Angeles moving forward.

For the Raiders, it’s all about the 2020 season and Las Vegas. Owner Mark Davis knows full well that a move to the desert will bring renewed expectations. Building for contention in the desert metropolis makes more sense than the foolish belief that one offseason will somehow act as a quick fix.

Having signed Carr to a five-year, $125 million contract extension back in June of 2017, Oakland’s previous brass committed to him as a franchise quarterback. But he had no built-in relationship with Gruden and obviously hasn’t interacted much with Mayock in the past. That’s no small thing, especially given what we saw with both Mack and Cooper.

There’s also this thing called performance. Carr’s production declined a great deal under Gruden this past season. He led the NFL’s fifth-worst scoring offense and threw a career-low 19 touchdowns. Questions were raised about Carr’s ability to throw downfield in this scheme. And once Cooper was traded, this became an even larger problem.

Given just how valuable quarterbacks are in today’s NFL, the Raiders could conceivably add to their stockpile of draft picks by moving Carr in a blockbuster trade. There are numerous teams that would view him as a long-term upgrade over what they currently have.

From Gruden’s perspective, trading Carr would be the final move to tell Raiders fans that he’s in complete control of the ship. His power-play victory over former general manager Reggie McKenzie was the latest step prior to adding Mayock to the front office. Before that, it was about moving on from longtime veterans such as Sebastian Janikowski and Marquette King.

Gruden’s MO also suggests that he’s going to want to add his own signal caller. We saw him flirt with a plethora of options as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ head coach from 2002-08. That included Tampa Bay starting nine quarterbacks over a seven-year span.

As noted above, Oakland boasts three first-round picks. Its first selection is No. 4 overall, meaning that recently-declared former Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins could be an option. Adding Haskins to the mix would give Oakland a new identity as it prepares for that new multi-billion dollar stadium in the desert. Out with the old and in with the new, so to speak.

It would be Gruden’s way of saying things have changed and we’re ready to move forward with a completely revamped organization. Obviously, that’s been his internal talking point since signing a 10-year, $100 million contract nearly a full calendar year ago.

If not Haskins, there are a ton of veterans that could be available in either free agency or via a trade. And we know how much Gruden liked his veteran quarterbacks in Tampa Bay. That list could include Joe Flacco (Ravens), Blake Bortles (Jaguars), Teddy Bridgewater (Saints), Ryan Tannehill (Dolphins) and Eli Manning (Giants).

These are names Raiders fans would not necessarily like to see linked to their team. In no way does it mean they are not viable options.

Gruden has done his thing no matter the optics. Mayock is greenish with no set philosophy. Together, they are true wild cards. This leads us to believe that it’s nowhere near a foregone conclusion that Carr will be back with the Raiders in 2019.

Don’t kill the messenger, Raiders faithful.

Kentucky pass rusher, Josh Allen has chosen Joe Segal as his agent, same agent as amari and khalil.

it would be something jon/mark do, avoiding bpa's deliberately because they're in segal's stable. think rookie holdouts too, not just 4 years later new contract negotiations.

I would rather get another than Allen

Win the bowl game and come to the Raiders

What does Clelin Ferrell have to do with embattled former Raider Aldon Smith?
I asked Ferrell the following question: “Do you model your game after any NFL pass rushers?”
At the phrase “NFL,” before the question even finished, he spit out “Aldon Smith.”
“I feel like I can be what he really should’ve been as far as the progress he should be at right now with his career,” Ferrell said. “I know he’s had some setbacks. I always pray hopefully he gets back to the level that he was. I just always looked up to him and his game.
“I know his career didn’t pan out the way a lot of people wanted it to be, but that’s the reason why I wear 99.”

Ferrell, like Smith, oozes with potential. He ranked sixth in the country this season with 11.5 sacks, and has 27 in his last three seasons. Ferrell has also amassed 49 tackles for loss, five forced fumbles, one fumble recovery for a touchdown and five passed defensed over that span. If he can stay on the right path off the field – all indications point that he can – he might just replicate what Smith could’ve been. E
Even as that “pass rusher” phrase clings to several teams atop the draft and to players like Ferrell, Bosa and Allen, the Clemson star wants to make sure you don’t restrict his repertoire.
“I’m not just a pass rusher. I rush the passer at a very, very high level, but I feel like my game overall is complete as a player. I feel like I stop the run very well, I play the pass very well and I feel like I can drop into coverage as well,” Ferrell said. ” … I feel that’s kind of what sets me apart, just how versatile I am. I’ve played against the best of the best and I’ve done it consistently at a high level.”

Jon Gruden has a new sounding board, and this one just might be able to keep up with him.
Whether Mike Mayock has the goods to be an NFL general manager based on 15 years as a television analyst remains to be seen. But it does appear Gruden has someone to work with who may be as manic and obsessive as he is.

You got the impression that while Gruden liked and respected McKenzie, their approaches simply didn’t mesh. When Gruden wanted answers, McKenzie would ponder. And while pondering may have been the right call, Gruden was always ready to move on to the next issue.

The big unknown is how Mayock will function in areas other than the draft, for which is knowledge is unparalleled. He said he’s been preparing for the last “seven or eight years” in terms of the pro personnel side after being advised by coaches who knew he wanted to get into a front office some day.
This isn’t like Gruden being in a booth for nine years and returning to his profession. This is someone who’s never done it before, and everything he learned by osmosis over the last 15 years is no substitute for actual experience.

Now a different article

Mayock — a former NFL Network analyst who was hired as general manager last week for his first NFL front office role — spoke with ESPN on Monday at Levi’s Field while scouting players at the College Football Playoff National Championship.
“In all honesty, Jon’s got final say, if it ever comes to that. And I’ve got zero problems with that,” Mayock said about personnel decisions.
What would you say you do here?
So if Gruden is making the personnel decisions, what exactly is Mayock’s job?
It appears to entail arguing with Gruden and knowing what a Raider “smells like.”
“Now, having said that, I think we’re going to come to a consensus and I like a little yelling, a little screaming, a little fighting for what players you believe in,” Mayock continued. “But at the end of the day, I guarantee you, Jon Gruden and I are going to know what a Raider looks like and smells like. I don’t think we’re going to have any issues.”

Sound like Mayock is similar to all those veteranplayers that Gruden brought in that didn't do much.

Newly minted Raiders general manager Mike Mayock didn’t have to travel far to scout college football’s best on Monday night.
Mayock, one week after the Raiders hired him, roamed the field at Levi’s Stadium to watch Alabama and Clemson warm up. He spoke with several Alabama staffers, former UCLA coach Jim Mora, current UCLA coach Chip Kelly and others who know him well from his 15 years as an NFL Network draft analyst. He got an up-close look at Alabama’s defensive linemen warming up, a group led by potential future Raider Quinnen Williams, the Crimson Tide’s star defensive tackle.

“There’s a huge advantage in person,” Mayock said of scouting warmups from the sideline. “I’ve been watching film of these two teams for months. I go back to July when I first started watching the rising seniors, OK? What I want to see pregame are all the body types.

Several players in Monday’s title game might be of interest to Mayock and Jon Gruden at No. 4 in the draft. Williams and Clemson defensive end Clelin Ferrell top the list. Alabama safety Deionte Thompson, Clemson defensive tackles Dexter Lawrence and Christian Wilkins, Alabama linebacker Mack Wilson and Alabama running back Damien Harris are the other top pro prospects in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back