Politics Obama's warning to SRP

Remove this Banner Ad

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Speaking at the Obama Foundation’s annual summit in Chicago, America’s 44th leader was quizzed about the state of SRP Board and activism in the country and the trouble with its growing ‘woke’ culture.
Being ‘woke’ — or being aware of and attentive to all the injustices in society — became somewhat of a catchphrase in the lead up to the 2016 presidential elections.

But Mr Obama said those who believed being woke made them superior and untouchable were kidding themselves.

This idea of purity and you’re never compromised and you’re politically woke, and all that stuff — you should get over that quickly,” he said.
“The world is messy. There are ambiguities. People who do really good stuff have flaws. People who you are fighting with may love their kids and share certain things with you.”
Mr Obama said he was particularly concerned by young people thinking they could spark change by calling out people in power for petty mistakes, such as spelling and grammar errors.
“One danger I see among young people particularly on college campuses is that I do get a sense among certain young people, and this is accelerated by social media, that the way of me making change is to be as judgmental as possible about other people and that’s enough,” Mr Obama said.

Like if I tweet or hashtag about how you didn’t do something right, or used the wrong verb, then I consider that I can feel pretty good about myself because, ‘man did you see how woke I was, I called you out’,” Mr Obama said, prompting laughter in the crowd.
“That is not activism, that is not bringing about change.
“If all you’re doing is casting stones, you are probably not going to get that far.”

Speaking at the Obama Foundation’s annual summit in Chicago, America’s 44th leader was quizzed about the state of SRP Board and activism in the country and the trouble with its growing ‘woke’ culture.
Being ‘woke’ — or being aware of and attentive to all the injustices in society — became somewhat of a catchphrase in the lead up to the 2016 presidential elections.

But Mr Obama said those who believed being woke made them superior and untouchable were kidding themselves.

This idea of purity and you’re never compromised and you’re politically woke, and all that stuff — you should get over that quickly,” he said.
“The world is messy. There are ambiguities. People who do really good stuff have flaws. People who you are fighting with may love their kids and share certain things with you.”
Mr Obama said he was particularly concerned by young people thinking they could spark change by calling out people in power for petty mistakes, such as spelling and grammar errors.
“One danger I see among young people particularly on college campuses is that I do get a sense among certain young people, and this is accelerated by social media, that the way of me making change is to be as judgmental as possible about other people and that’s enough,” Mr Obama said.

Like if I tweet or hashtag about how you didn’t do something right, or used the wrong verb, then I consider that I can feel pretty good about myself because, ‘man did you see how woke I was, I called you out’,” Mr Obama said, prompting laughter in the crowd.
“That is not activism, that is not bringing about change.
“If all you’re doing is casting stones, you are probably not going to get that far.”
Please add a link to where you got the story or I'll need to delete the thread. Standard rules for attribution.

Please add a link to where you got the story or I'll need to delete the thread. Standard rules for attribution.
Freedom is overrated

Freedom is overrated

I love Obama's message here. Then you just kinda cringe as Michelle somewhat ruins it afterwards by giving the same victimhood-complex rant she gives at every event.

Yeah good one Barack, attack the softest of targets. You may love your kids but I doubt the Paskistani civilians you droned give a s**t.

He's simply saying being awake to the problems isn't enough. Pulling people up on their grammar definitely isn't enough.

the_coon_change_when_540.jpg

Obama has a point. Certainty about your own position leaves a tendency to avoid listening to opposing viewpoints. People now seem to think that understanding someone else's opinion means you have to agree with it, which of course it doesn't.

Obama has a point. Certainty about your own position leaves a tendency to avoid listening to opposing viewpoints. People now seem to think that understanding someone else's opinion means you have to agree with it, which of course it doesn't.
Obama started the cancer! And the degenerates that are the left only carried on his legacy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obama started the cancer! And the degenerates that are the left only carried on his legacy!

Oh dang, turns out Obama was only the seventh false King to the throne...

Now let's all look sad and say 'D'oh!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back