Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi (2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Do 2022 kids love Star Wars in great numbers? The you watch what's on TV and VHS environment their 39-year-old parents grew up in is gone.
Kids today find SW (the ST because thats their era) lame. Marvel/DC and animated movies is more their thing. Also because the ST is just not as fun and wonderful and adventurous as the OT was for us when we were kids. Also as JackOutback said before, today kids have so much more entertainment than we did as kids when we all played outside using our imaginations. Movies in general are competing for their time with video games and social media platforms. And live action movies competing with animated blockbusters

Nobody had any fun in Last Jedi.

Fun was hard in TFA when Han Solo was around. Or Poe.

The most fun was in TROS, also considered the worst of the bunch.

There's more to it than fun.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Untrue, Poe had fun staring down a a few star destroyers, that battleship destroyer and numerous ties amongst them whilst giving his best rendition of a stand up comic from a seated position inside of an X-Wing in the first 5 mins of the TLJ.

I'm sure he had a hilarious time until Leia bitchslapped him to promote Hodor who bangs quietly because some bombers got junked and everyone was like "I thought you filled up the tank before we left?".

At least with this one we didn't have Obi stopping off at a servo to fill up, had enough of that in Mando.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
There are kids that love eating broccoli too, but they're in the vast minority.

Based on the tickets sales and, specifically, the merchandising sale - so are the kids that love the new characters.
Are you really questioning the ST based on ticket sales ($2b, $1.3b and $1.1b)?

And I don’t think any of us are in a position to assess merchandise sales.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Are you really questioning the ST based on ticket sales ($2b, $1.3b and $1.1b)?

I think the huge decline in ticket sales speaks for itself. FA did well because it was a nostalgic soft reboot that while having a lot of questions and weird points (why is Empire-lite back, where is Luke Skywalker, who is Rey, why is Han a smuggler again etc etc) it had the benefit of - that can all be explained in a logical way in the future. Then The Last Jedi hit, single handedly destroying the sequel trilogy with terrible writing, inconsistent narrative and lame Marvel jokes. That is evident in the ticket sales, everyone who saw TFA went to go see it to see their questions answered and when TLJ said * those questions and * star wars, the decline came. TROS had the usual, well i have to at least see how it ends bump but it was pretty clear that there was nothing to be saved after the first viewing and so it was even worse than TLJ.

Primarily because so many merchandise companies have opted not to produce material to require the licensing in the first place. The toys selling are the sign of a powerful franchise and perhaps the demographic has shifted to a group of children who no longer are interested in playing make believe with an action figure and would rather move sprites around a screen instead.

Absolutely possible. Video game merchandise does reasonably well.

I think the huge decline in ticket sales speaks for itself. FA did well because it was a nostalgic soft reboot that while having a lot of questions and weird points (why is Empire-lite back, where is Luke Skywalker, who is Rey, why is Han a smuggler again etc etc) it had the benefit of - that can all be explained in a logical way in the future. Then The Last Jedi hit, single handedly destroying the sequel trilogy with terrible writing, inconsistent narrative and lame Marvel jokes. That is evident in the ticket sales, everyone who saw TFA went to go see it to see their questions answered and when TLJ said * those questions and * star wars, the decline came. TROS had the usual, well i have to at least see how it ends bump but it was pretty clear that there was nothing to be saved after the first viewing and so it was even worse than TLJ.

Solo was the one who bore the most brunt from The Last Jedi disappointing so many people.

Disney needs about two hours a day of content for their streaming service, every day, so their subscribers can see something new every day far more than they need two hours of a movie every two years.

You could write Wrath of Kahn which is a scientifically and canonically flawed film, it's full of issues, but the film is really well put together. They would ask you to turn it into a ten episode TV series instead because ten hours is more valuable at the moment that 90 minutes of compact quality.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
The only people who buy doll merchandise are adult collectors who either are hoarding nerds or for future re-sale. Merch like blankets, bed sheets, posters, t-shirts still sell to all and sundry, but youd be hard-pressed finding a teenager wearing a Rey, Poe, Finn, Kylo tee because they're in anyway attached to or resonate with that character. Whereas for sure teens used to lovingly wear Luke, Han, Leia, Vader tees because they dug them.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
The PT went from a $1b to $650m, so clearly a failure in your mind too. Sure, ROTS went up, but that was just a 'see how it ends bump' correct? The OT went from $775m to $538m, to $475m.... speaks for itself, yes? A lot of people don't understand box office, they saw TFA get $2b and thought TLJ should get that or more, but that's not how it works. Same way people are calling Dr Strange 2 and Thor a failure because of outliers like Spider-Man: No Way Home and Black Panther.

The PT went from a $1b to $650m, so clearly a failure in your mind too. Sure, ROTS went up, but that was just a 'see how it ends bump' correct? The OT went from $775m to $538m, to $475m.... speaks for itself, yes? A lot of people don't understand box office, they saw TFA get $2b and thought TLJ should get that or more, but that's not how it works. Same way people are calling Dr Strange 2 and Thor a failure because of outliers like Spider-Man: No Way Home and Black Panther.

Why didn't TROS get a similar bump then?

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Why didn't TROS get a similar bump then?
It was Flowers that described its $1.1b as a 'bump' (presumably he thinks it would have made even less if not the final chapter). The box office of the ST is remarkably similar to the OT. The PT is actually the outlier here with the final movie bump. But any way you cut it, financially all trilogies are very successful.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Solo was the one who bore the most brunt from The Last Jedi disappointing so many people.
TLJ having a mixed reception probably didn't help but imo Solo's main problem was that it was just a crap movie.

Trying to get another actor to play one of film's most iconic characters ever from 3 films even as a younger version is near mission impossible. Many people probably thought this beforehand and when ordinary reviews and word of mouth came through they just didn't bother to see it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I mean Ewan pulled it of beautifully with Obi-Wan but I dare say a more rigid type character like an old Jedi that was in 2/3 of one movie is a far easier task than a swashbuckling smart arse ex smuggler.

Ewan is also an elite actor, I don't blame the dude that played Han again because of the difficulty but he's hardly in the same league.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Another problem was Han in Solo is only about 3 years younger than Han in ANH. To have someone distinctly different looking is stupid. Theres another actor who actually looks like Harrison Ford. Ewan playing a young Obi is fine given 30+ years is the gap to ANH.
Yeah great call GG.

With the benefit of hindsight not really hard to see why they were up against it and failed.

Straight away I bought the idea of Ewan as Obi Wan but it's a far more achievable job.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Alec Guinness was obviously far less iconic than Harrison Ford as well. Recasting secondary actors is always easier than the stars.

People talk about casting Sebastian Stan as Luke but I'd rather they just move on to new stories. Stan might be a fine actor, but I wouldn't be watching 'Luke Skywalker' at that point, I'd be watching someone play Luke Skywalker.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
I watched the first episode of this last night - did anyone else have an issue where the colour hue kept changing? Hasn't happened with any other app/show on my tv, it was really distracting and annoying.

Will have to test on the AppleTV upstairs to see if the same issues on there.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Finished this today, was ok, parts were enjoyable mainly the parts with Vader in it. The battle scene at the end where his helmet is broken is awesome.

I thought the dialog was a bit clunky though, similar issues though not as bad as the PT (haven't seen all of the ST yet).

I finished it on the AppleTV so seems the colour issues were to do with the android tv I was watching on. Disney app played in "Dolby Vision" on that tv whatever that is which I gather was the reason for the constant changes in the colour tint. It was really annoying went from normal to blue tint to yellow tint etc constantly. I wonder if anyone else had this issue, I tried to change the settings on my tv but it didn't help and wouldn't let me change it from Dolby Vision - couldn't find anything in the app to disable it either 🤷

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Finished this today, was ok, parts were enjoyable mainly the parts with Vader in it. The battle scene at the end where his helmet is broken is awesome.

I thought the dialog was a bit clunky though, similar issues though not as bad as the PT (haven't seen all of the ST yet).

I finished it on the AppleTV so seems the colour issues were to do with the android tv I was watching on. Disney app played in "Dolby Vision" on that tv whatever that is which I gather was the reason for the constant changes in the colour tint. It was really annoying went from normal to blue tint to yellow tint etc constantly. I wonder if anyone else had this issue, I tried to change the settings on my tv but it didn't help and wouldn't let me change it from Dolby Vision - couldn't find anything in the app to disable it either 🤷

Maybe it’s time to update that 1987 television

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Maybe it’s time to update that 1987 television

Haha nah it's a Sony Bravia X90F I think so only a couple of years old 4K etc. Has to be something in the settings because it was like there was constant colour filter changes - very strange, hasn't happened on any other shows or apps but it wasn't happening on the AppleTV upstairs (on an older "dumb" tv).

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Haha nah it's a Sony Bravia X90F I think so only a couple of years old 4K etc. Has to be something in the settings because it was like there was constant colour filter changes - very strange, hasn't happened on any other shows or apps but it wasn't happening on the AppleTV upstairs (on an older "dumb" tv).

I was joking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back