Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi (2022)

That moment was great, yes.

For me I was really hoping for more of a character study approach, which is started with before becoming a bit of a generic run and chase style show.

Probably got the approaches with BOBF and Kenobi wrong way around. With that being said I thoroughly enjoyed both as much as BOBF is derided.

I'm pretty confident though any character study approach (would have loved this too) would have been torn apart by SW fans as being boring or met with cries of "why did we need this?".

I think because Star Wars gets judge so harshly is that people have such strongly conceived ideas of what they should be and when they aren't met, people refuse to enjoy it. (Not addressed to you, just a general comment)

And for all the things to get hung up on - the actress who played young Leia's age....this site sometimes.....

fozzie bear GIF

Kinda but also nah. Vader and Kylo both die in the attempt.

Reva is like Ken Hinkley. All those loses are forgotten soon as there's a half decent win. Extend his contract.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

What does dying have to do with it?

It's strange she doesn't look 10. She looks like 5 or 6. The show is supposed to be set 10 years after ROTS. Tbh I think that was a mistake. 5 or 6 years should be the number.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I don't think she looks 5 or 6. She looks around 9 which is funnily enough how old she is.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
And for all the things to get hung up on - the actress who played young Leia's age....this site sometimes.....

fozzie bear GIF

I'm probably in the minority with this stuff - I tend to stay clear of commenting on what someone "should" look like. Kids, like adults, come in all shapes and sizes. I have my issues with this series overall, her height/the way she moves/hand gestures etc that get brought up here - not even remotely a problem for me.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Actors like Hayley Joel Osment and Dakota Fanning come along once in a blue moon. They were were genuinely phenomenal. But acting usually requires you to draw on life’s experiences and you just don’t have as many when you haven’t even reached 10. The girl who played Leia was perfectly acceptable. She looked a little young but given that she’s actually 9, not sure we can call it unbelievable.

Talented young actors are not that rare and there are people whose job it is to find them. Off the top of my head I can think of Natalie Portman, Jodie Foster, Kirsten Dunst, Kristen Stewart, Emma Watson, Macaulay Culkin, Jude Hill, Brooklynn Prince. There would literally be a queue round the block of girls wanting to get the young Leia role.

Of course they won't have many life experiences to draw on but by the age of nine many have had a few years of acting classes, or the director can coax a good performance from a novice. Often they use an actor who looks young for their age so, for example, they could cast a 12 yo as a 10 yo to get a better performance. The actual age of the actor doesn't matter so much as how they look and move and whether they can act.

Vivien Lyra Blair looks much younger than the 10 yo she is playing, and has poor acting abilities.

Redemption comes with sacrifice.

Reva has no sacrifice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vader was redeemed before he died.

Reva was basically killed by Vader and then brought Luke back. She's not entirely redeemed but she's taking the first steps.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Carrie Fisher was five foot one, and even Mark Hamill is short. So it would not make sense to have a girl Leia be the average height for a ten-year-old. Her adult character was shorter than her peers, and so should the child then. People get their knickers in a twist about the silliest things these days.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
I don't think she looks 5 or 6. She looks around 9 which is funnily enough how old she is.

Apparently she is 3'8. Which is about the average height for a 5 and 1/2 year old girl. She's not even close to being within the normal height range for a 9 or 10 year old.

Apparently she is 3'8. Which is about the average height for a 5 and 1/2 year old girl. She's not even close to being within the normal height range for a 9 or 10 year old.

Don't really care. Dunno why you do.

I don't care. I'm pointing out the poor casting of someone who looks like a 5 year old to play a 10 year old.

You don't care but have been going on about it for about four days now?

It's not poor casting.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
They probably deliberately sought out a midget 10 yo with thought that Fisher was 5'1 so would be a perfect match. A subtle easter egg to this series.

Disney are renowned for finding child actors or have them on casting call with the amount of projects and kid shows/movies they make.

But it's true that it's evident in the show she is a midget or 5 yo looking/moving person.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
You don't care but have been going on about it for about four days now?

It's not poor casting.

You seem to have conceded the point that Vivien Lyra Blair looks like a 5 yo and hence my point that it is poor casting. That's before you get to her poor acting abilities.

I'm not the one defending everything about this series like you are barracking for your football team.

You seem to have conceded the point that Vivien Lyra Blair looks like a 5 yo and hence my point that it is poor casting. That's before you get to her poor acting abilities.

I'm not the one defending everything about this series like you are barracking for your football team.

I haven't conceded anything because there's nothing to concede, it's a dumb ******* conversation.

Where have I defended everything? I literally complained about episode 4 being s**t. I also agreed with several of the complaints about the ease of some of the resolutions in the final ep. If you actually engaged with what other people are posting instead of just screaming and gnashing your teeth you might have seen that.

I'm not the one whinging about a 9 year old girl.

Don't care for what is undoubtedly has been a lot of moaning from certain hardcore fans (not even bothering to read them, I know what the complaints will be), I enjoyed the finale - and isn't that the goal of television? Not the finest ever Star Wars media, sure, but it didn't have to be, it told a story and helped tie together the gaps between Episodes 3 and 4. A few cool scenes, plenty of fan service, and Ewan McGregor as usual does a good job. Also definitely not truly horrendous acting that plague some franchise products, you can tell the ones acting in it truly love Star Wars - Reva, Leia, even Kumail Nanjiani's fake Jedi all fit well into the Star Wars universe.

And with that, I am going to unwatch this thread and you lovely folks can wail via keyboard to your hearts content. May the force be with everyone.

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast

What are you on about? She was bloody fantastic and Ewen and her had a good chemistry together.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
helped tie together the gaps between Episodes 3 and 4.
Did it? We already knew Vader is a bad guy in a suit, Luke is a kid on Tattooine and Obi Wan is hanging out in a cave.

I dunno if it really added anything to the canon as such, but didn't sabotage it either. Just another piece of Disney content, like Mando but not as good.

Some talk of S2 but I'm not sure where they'd go with it. Ewan McGregor is 51 and Sir Alec Guinness was 63 when Star Wars was filmed. I always thought he was older. Revenge of the Sith was 17 years ago but McGregor doesn't seem a lot older than he was then. He has always been a very believable Obi Wan, but I'm not sure if the powers of make-up and lighting can make him look close enough to the 1977 version of his character. If they pitch the story line as being say 5 years before Star Wars (I'm not calling it ANH) I don't think it will work if he looks 20 years younger than Sir Alec.

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Obi Wan/Darth Vader storyline heavily relies on the original score, I don't understand why Disney chose not to use it for this series. It elevates the action to another level.

After rewatching this scene re-scored for the 5th time:

Television Reaction GIF

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just seen the final episode. Fantastic! Tears a few times. Just absolutely loved it. So did all the family. Just so good. I’m going to read back after this post because I don’t want my opinion changed by others, credits still on in the background. A much better feeling than the weird last movie episode IX.

Back