Certified Legendary Thread We need to make it a priority to get a number 1 ruck

Remove this Banner Ad

You can only have so many rucks on your list. We currently have Jacobs, O'Brien, Hunter, Strachan, Himmelberg all around 200cm and while we are playing one at a time in the AFL side we have 4 sitting in the reserves. Anymore than that and our SANFL becomes more unbalanced.

I had completely forgotten about Strachan.

I would be happy to keep ROB as our number one ruck moving forward after this year, he has shown significant improvement just in the few games he has played this year. He is never going to be an elite ruck in the Grundy/Gawn class but he could definitely become a very solid player in the next few years.

I would much rather we went after a A grade mid with pace instead of going after Grundy if we are going to throw the cash at someone. We have seen multiple times teams win the GF with a solid ruck rather than a star. The midfield is where you need to have the top end talent running around IMO.

You can only have so many rucks on your list. We currently have Jacobs, O'Brien, Hunter, Strachan, Himmelberg all around 200cm and while we are playing one at a time in the AFL side we have 4 sitting in the reserves. Anymore than that and our SANFL becomes more unbalanced.
Tell that to port who play 5 x 200cm players each week!

Tell that to port who play 5 x 200cm players each week!

Well if they are capable of playing other positions then its fine. Ports best team probably has Ryder, Lycett, Marshall, Dixon, Westhoff in it but only the first two are rucks and both capable forwards. I wouldnt call Sauce/Rob forwards.

Hey mick500

ROB the Adelaide Crows "unsung hero" of round 5 by the AFL Players Association......you sure can pick em'.....

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/unsung-heroes-round-5-3/

UNSUNG HEROES — ROUND 5
By Staff Writers Apr 23, 2019

Adelaide: Reilly O’Brien

Continuing the theme of unsung ruckman, Reilly O’Brien showed glimpses of why the Crows have persisted with him for so long. The 23-year-old has big shoes to fill with news Sam Jacobs will be out for an extended period and he didn’t disappoint in Round 5, registering 13 contested possessions, three contested marks and 34 hit-outs, while also going at 100 per cent disposal efficiency against the Suns.

Jacobs is pretty much at the end, though. Out of contract, body in decline. Will probably be gone at the end of the year. If not, then certainly next year. Himmelberg's future is the Jenkins role, ie mainly forward who can pinch hit in the ruck - unlikely to be the number 1 ruck unless there's an injury crisis. That just leaves ROB with Hunter and Strachan fighting to be next in line. Ideally I think you want your number 1 ruck with a second one in the 2's ready to step up in case of injury, then perhaps 2 more developing with an eye on the longer term. So there's scope to replace Jacobs, at least. And possibly Hunter if the club decides he's not going to make it.

When watching the replay, I remember Witts stats flashing up on the screen. He'd had around 20 hitouts, with 1 to advantage, which tells me that when ROB wasn't winning the taps, he was at least making it very difficult for Witts to do anything with them.

I quite like what I've seen from ROB so far, he's shown improvement in each game he's played. He'll probably never be a dominant tap ruckman like prime Jacobs, but there's a lot more to being an effective ruckman in today's game, and he looks to have very good running power for a player his size, which will allow him to provide quite a bit around the ground.

We absolutely need another ruckman on our list, but if it's not Grundy (highly unlikely), then one or two developing in the two's with ROB taking over from Jacobs will have to do. In my opinion, there are two rucks in the league worth throwing the kitchen sink at, and they're Grundy and Gawn (even then, it's Grundy without even thinking about it for me). If it isn't either of those, I don't see it as a position worth spending much on in the way of picks or salary.
Not sure about Gawn. Too easily nullified with physicality.

Actually, he could fit in with our playing group.......

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If we dont get Grundy I would not be disappointed with ROB.

I'm with you there. It looks like there is enough to ROBs game to be a long term ruck, there is a real poor mans Mumford vibe to him currently

Yep.

Only 5 percent chance of him leaving Collingwood IMO. That is still IF.

We ain't getting Grundy but from what I have seen of RoB he has the potential to be as good as any other recent Premiership Ruckman ie Nankervis, Roughead, McEvoy.

I think I would.prefer the Blue Chip mid we can get with Carlton's first pick than trade it for Grundy.

We ain’t getting Grundy full stop

I still think ruckman are overvalued and you can find a decent one pretty cheaply. I wouldn’t be coughing up for Grundy, I’d rather chuck money at an elite mid or KPF

Agreed, best available kid in the draft with Carltons first pick.

Last night Melbourne won hitouts 51 to 28, Gawn had 48 to Nankervis 21.
Centre clearances and stoppage clearances were both just about equal, yet Richmond had 71 inside 50 entries to Melbournes 42.

Sam Jacobs isn't getting any younger.

Reilly obrien I hope proves me wrong!!... but what I've seen of him i can honestly say I think hes the worst ruckman I can personally recall seeing. Simply out of his depth. Can barely kick a ball and gets slaughtered in the ruck. Sam Jacobs going down is truly our Achilles heel, no matter how much hate he gets, he is infinitely better than obrien and we need to delist him, make Jacobs number 2 ruck and do whatevers necessary to obtain an established ruckman next year. Nothing we can do for this year.

Thoughts on obrien pre and post match is why the thread is created. Feel free to change your opinion after getting a full look at him tomorrow. But I'm predicting he is going to get masssacared out there.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tr-adelaide-crows?year=2019&rt=TA&st=EP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most successful ruckmen this decade is Big Boy McEvoy playing in 3 grand finals
Interestingly rated top 5 or 6 in Hawks disposal efficiency and 1%'s. Ottens was similar at Geelong.
He has both Grundy and Gawn well covered in these 2 areas.

ROB is doing well in these 2 areas considering he's only a few games in.

I think a few are hanging onto 2 shanks which I think might be more nerve related.

We might be fine with ROB ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back