Obrien or Sicily

Remove this Banner Ad

I think tonight says Shoe is coming in for one of them, once game fit. I suspect it will be Sicily who will miss, with O'Brien playing CHF to provide transition, so that Shoe can hit the packs and give our small forwards an advantage. Our midfield is too slow and too inaccurate; when we win contested ball it is going to come in poorly and we need a bigger body to bring it to ground.

We are going to need this block of easier games to get the forward line functioning, if we are to have any chance this year.

Sicily was nominated for mark of the week, a big pack mark. Last time shoe did that?

This conversation is nuts. Show has a hundred games under his belt. He's no longer living off potential. No longer a development player. He's in his sweet spot and this is the best he'll ever be. It's not a put down, it's a fact. He's a fill in, like Spang.

I agree, and that would be my plan at this stage.

Now we're dropping Cegs to get Shoe in the side?

Someone break out the Ozzy Osbourne tapes. I need to crank up Crazy Train.

Now we're dropping Cegs to get Shoe in the side?

Someone break out the Ozzy Osbourne tapes. I need to crank up Crazy Train.

Are you implying that I am crazy?

What a lazy response.

Calling me lazy?

What a lazy response.

Bloody hell you're a clever one, aren't you?
It's pretty easy to take pot shots at everyone without actually forming or defending your own opinion, isn't it?

Bloody hell you're a clever one, aren't you?
It's pretty easy to take pot shots at everyone without actually forming or defending your own opinion, isn't it?

Even easier to argue with a phantom. I've taken a position.

Are you sure you aren't a closet Geelong supporter? You seem to play the man straight away in a contest.

Hey guys. Bit OT but can anyone tell me how's heatherly is doing?

Undersized KPD playing at Boxhill.

Sadly a few cm's short of what we really want him to be. Understandably he doesn't have the nous/skills of someone bought up with Aussie Rules so we really needed him to be fully KPD in size and just cancel out his own man.

Has a red hot go from what I've seen, a real competitor, might play some seniors if/when Gibbo retires, but sadly not one we want to have a long career for us unless he can go up a level or two (in nous/skills).

Undersized KPD playing at Boxhill.

Sadly a few cm's short of what we really want him to be. Understandably he doesn't have the nous/skills of someone bought up with Aussie Rules so we really needed him to be fully KPD in size and just cancel out his own man.

Has a red hot go from what I've seen, a real competitor, might play some seniors if/when Gibbo retires, but sadly not one we want to have a long career for us unless he can go up a level or two (in nous/skills).

I've seen a bit of Heatherly. Very very talented athlete, quick, very agile for someone at 193cm and fast becoming a very very good contested mark. Still inconsistent and struggling at times with the nuances of the game - as you would expect. I still have high hopes for him, remember Trent Croad (another ex kiwi) struggled to adapt to the game for years but once it clicked he became a genuine gun key defender - at 190cms!

I've seen a bit of Heatherly. Very very talented athlete, quick, very agile for someone at 193cm and fast becoming a very very good contested mark. Still inconsistent and struggling at times with the nuances of the game - as you would expect. I still have high hopes for him, remember Trent Croad (another ex kiwi) struggled to adapt to the game for years but once it clicked he became a genuine gun key defender - at 190cms!

I thought he's a little shorter than that, I don't trust the measurements given by the clubs or AFL at all, anyway hope it's true every extra cm gets him closer in size to the role he would be filling (KPD). He does have great athleticism.

Croady was shorter, but much broader, a better athlete (not an insult, Croady was a mighty athlete, not much footy nous).

Hope he makes it, I pray for every cm. Kaiden Brand shows the advantage of the extra height.

193? Can we give him a run in the ruck and see how he goes if he's that athletic?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heatherley has the advantage of having a massive hunger to win every contest. Brings desperation to everything he does on field like Spangher does and that can often make up for the shortfall in the talent stakes.

I'd forget contested marks,you do know you can have a "contested" mark even if you have zero contact with another player
according to Chumpion Data? The stat is a joke.
If given the chance I believe Hardwick will be more of a productive forward then both of them.
With Chumpion data all stats are a joke. My son and I were watching a suns match, and gablett was on 13 tackles, we both looked at each other and thought, he hasn't laid one. Then we saw a guy with the ball push ooff gablett with the hand on the chest. Sure enough gablett's tackle count moved to 14. (He ended up with 18 and didn't lay a single tackle for the rest of the game (we watched.) on another occasion gablett and an opposition player were both running for the ball as it was trickling over the boundary. gablett gave the ball that little bit of help as he slid with his chest (when you could do that sort of thing without being pinged for deliberate) chumpion data gave him a contested possession for that. No wonder he looks so good statistically.

With Chumpion data all stats are a joke. My son and I were watching a suns match, and gablett was on 13 tackles, we both looked at each other and thought, he hasn't laid one. Then we saw a guy with the ball push ooff gablett with the hand on the chest. Sure enough gablett's tackle count moved to 14. (He ended up with 18 and didn't lay a single tackle for the rest of the game (we watched.) on another occasion gablett and an opposition player were both running for the ball as it was trickling over the boundary. gablett gave the ball that little bit of help as he slid with his chest (when you could do that sort of thing without being pinged for deliberate) chumpion data gave him a contested possession for that. No wonder he looks so good statistically.

Thanks for sharing. Had no idea they were that bad !!

Ablett has never had a game where he's recorded 18 tackles...

Ablett has never had a game where he's recorded 18 tackles...
Apologies it was 17, but we kept expecting it to flip to 18. Because he kept going near the ball. Whatever it was it just rose on the whim of a w***er gablett fan statistician.

Against WC the defender on Sicily would play in front and therefore restrict his run at the ball, thus rendering useless to the contest.
Sicily would provide no chase or defensive effort. For a bloke of 190cm or whatever, he sure plays like a 200cm tall at times.
He needs to lift his intensity when he isn't in the contest and make nuisance of himself.

O'Brien, well last weeks Box Hill game explains everything for him.
He needs another big body in the forward line so that he isn't targeted, with Schoenmakers back next week
it will be interesting to see what structure the match committee take.

If you take Schoenmakers and O'Brien does that mean you can isolate Gunston more?
Gunston is the best 3rd tall in the comp and when on a weaker defender wins 98% of the time.

I reckon while they are continuing with the high ball into the fwd line , which ever one of Shoe, Tob or sis are most capable of being the pack crasher to either pull in a grab or halve the contest would be worthwhile anchoring in the arc. I don't think this is Sicilys m.o. so probs out of the other two in my uneducated opinion anyway. Clarko knows best .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back