Club History Obscure Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Another quick add is Stephen Copping.

Shortest FF going around at the time......with a killer mo, to boot.

sticky hands, excellent mark for his size.

Anyone remember a guy named Burke? Tall forward who didn't last long but remember him kicking a bag against North one day. Didn't do much else.

Peter Light, Michael Thomson, Chris Waterson, Peter Banfield, Trevor Spencer, Wayne Otway, Wayne Beddison, Andrew Underwood off the top of my head.
Wonder if they're doing OK in life post footy.

Michael Thomson is doing well. Last time I saw him, his partner had just had a baby.

Wayne Beddison apparently kicked on very nicely in life after footy.

Nah that was Brad Fox vs Plugger.
He was a big boy - Plugger was bigger & meaner!

I was also a great fan of Barry Young - he was awesome in 1999.
I missed that story - what happened at the end of his career?

That wasn't Georgie Burns that was a mate of your was it Raskolnikov?
He played at Kyneton for a season I reckon when we were in the Bendigo league.

LOL the Micky Werner reference above!!
Some ripper names coming out here...

Apparently Lockett said something to Fox like... "You're going to find out what it's like to die in front of 70,000 people"...!

Unfortunately, Antrobus couldn't cut the mustard in the VFL. Plain was a good player who should have played more footy. Hardwick is a much better player than Prior. Prior was a typical WA player of that time - Very smooth and good on the outside.

Antrobus could have been anything.. he had back related hamstring injuries & could never get fully fit.

Just some quick names from a wiki list I've stumbled across http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Essendon_Football_Club_players;

80's - (may be a bit far back for some)

Wayne Otway
Chris Waterson
Wayne Beddison
Cameron Clayton
Peter Bradbury
Trevor Spencer
Andrew Underwood

90's

Peter Filandia
Glenn Kilpatrick
Tony Delaney
Daniel McAlister
Peter Berbakov
Julian Kirzner

Cameron Clayton - apparently a handy boxer. Sat Dipierdomenico down in front of the Dick Reynolds Stand in 1983, with a classic jab/right cross combination. Took off Bruce Doull's headband in the 1983 Elimination Final, which Tony Buhagiar subsquently threw over the fence.

Peter Filandia - could bench 270 lbs at 17.

Grant Fowler
Graeme Schultz
Wayne Foreman
Ian Marsh
Peter Bennett
Geoff Burdett
Darryl Cunningham
Tony West
Merv Harbinson
Brenton Phillips
Todd Ridley
Tim Darcy

Ian Marsh - very, very talented player, whose career was finished by open heart surgery. Racked up possessions in an era when 30 or so meant a lot more than it does today.

Brenton Phillips - kicked the very first goal for Brisbane Bears.

Every time bombersno1 mentions Luke Parker Klemke should be mentioned. Absolute gun according to her.
Wasn't she rejoicing when we picked him ahead of de Boer?

An obscure Bomber is a fella named Dean Lupson.
Some of you may have heard of him - very talented, just a tad wild.

There was a young bloke that played under 19's and a couple of years in the reserves circa 89 - 92- Luke Vassallo. Ex Snt bernards player who could have been anything, but never got picked up in the draft. I think he went to Richmond then Fitzroy just before they folded which may not have helped his cause..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ted Richards.

Apparently was no good.
I've heard a rumour that he took all his essendon stuff with him, but dumped it on the side of the hume near the border on the way up.

He was supposedly very emotional about leaving due to a relationship break up with a team mate.

Came from the wildest of sources, so was just wondering if anyone else ever heard similar?

There was a young bloke that played under 19's and a couple of years in the reserves circa 89 - 92- Luke Vassallo. Ex Snt bernards player who could have been anything, but never got picked up in the draft. I think he went to Richmond then Fitzroy just before they folded which may not have helped his cause..

Went back & played some good footy at St Bernard's old boys in the amateurs

I've heard a rumour that he took all his essendon stuff with him, but dumped it on the side of the hume near the border on the way up.

He was supposedly very emotional about leaving due to a relationship break up with a team mate.

Came from the wildest of sources, so was just wondering if anyone else ever heard similar?

I think he was emotional because Sheeds didn't give him a go.

@un eggs. Hills game on Matera in the semi was pivotal in us winning the 93 flag..Matera was a gun and Hillsy kept him quiet..great memories.

Here's a few obscure names for the old timers..

Michael Redenbach...(red and black)
Michael Sheldon.
Barry Besanko.
Anton Grbac.

For a bloke who kicked 100 goals in a season, there is remarkably little talk of Geoff Blethyn these days.

Came with playing in such a mediocre era for the club, I suppose.

@un eggs. Hills game on Matera in the semi was pivotal in us winning the 93 flag..Matera was a gun and Hillsy kept him quiet..great memories.

Here's a few obscure names for the old timers..

Michael Redenbach...(red and black)
Michael Sheldon.
Barry Besanko.
Anton Grbac.

Last time I saw Anton Grbac, he was chatting away to big Max Crow at Neil Clarke's funeral.

Danny Morgan and Rhys Magin stiff not to get a mention yet.
Danny Morgan - recruited by Carlton from Sale in the early 90's, then went to school at St Bernard's. Didn't get a game with the Blues so moved to Essendon where he played 5 or 6 games. Nuggety on ball carrot top. Lovely bloke and is now a reporter on ABC radio and TV.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back