Obscure Players That You Remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Rofe was so bloody slow

Think mediocre is a tad harsh though

lol remmeber him in Cricket 04. Would be one of the main bowlers for SA with Ryan Harris or something.

Where has this thread been all my life.

Domestically:
Steve Story
Nathan Pilon
Noel Fielke
Jamie Stewart
Greg Rowell
Mark Atkinson who played a million games for tassie in the era when a keeper could get away with averaging 20 and scoring a batshit boring 50 every 5 matches.

Internationally:
Pulasthe Gunaratne
Avishka Gunawardene
Richard Petrie
Willie Watson
Marlon Black
Patterson Thompson
Reon King
Suruj Ragoonath
Praveen Amre
Dave Callaghan

Things I didn't realize. It's kind of obscure in terms of players as captains

Ray Bright captained Australia in an ODI Game
Mark Butcher captained England in a test
Norman Gifford played 2 ODIs and captained England in both
Srikkanth captained India in tests
Dion Nash captained NZ in a series
Stuart Carlisle captained Zimbabwe.

Also remember Johan van der Wath?

Van Der wath wasn't much of a cricketer but from memory, boy he could smoke it.

Van Der wath wasn't much of a cricketer but from memory, boy he could smoke it.

Jumped on board the wrong train (ICL). Could have carved out a real niche for himself if he had the fortune of holding out for the IPL.

In the 1989 England just kept bringing in guys for a game and then they'd never be heard of again. They may have had really solid county records and be well known to Poms, but the team was a revolving door.

Kim Barnett, David Capel, Nick Cook, Tim Curtis, Alan Igglesden, Paul Jarvis, Martyn Moxon, Phil Newport, John Stephenson were all among the 29 players who played in the 6 match series and all played less than 15 Tests. A South African tour was announced during the middle of the series, but even still, the selection policy was erratic at best.

In the 1989 England just kept bringing in guys for a game and then they'd never be heard of again. They may have had really solid county records and be well known to Poms, but the team was a revolving door.

Kim Barnett, David Capel, Nick Cook, Tim Curtis, Alan Igglesden, Paul Jarvis, Martyn Moxon, Phil Newport, John Stephenson were all among the 29 players who played in the 6 match series and all played less than 15 Tests. A South African tour was announced during the middle of the series, but even still, the selection policy was erratic at best.
Tavare played his last Test during that series too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about Ian Ward and Craig White?

They were playing in the 2001 Lord's test that I attended, the Poms folded like a deck of cards apart from Dominic Cork slogging a few late boundaries.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/63937.html

Geoff Parker. Australian U19 Captain. Absolute 'Can't Miss' prospect.

Good footballer - played a couple of games with Essendon, I believe. But, of course, cricket was where he would be a star.

Played a few years, made a few runs, but never really established himself. Bounced across to South Australia to try and make it - but never did.

Vics have had a few of them - Clinton Peake, Alex Keath......

*****EDIT****
And - well, I'll be stuffed. Looked him up on Wikipedia - Head of Port Adelaide recruiting! Boy done good.

England have had some ball tearers in my lifetime - just some out and out 'can bowl a bit of junk and once hit a century in league cricket' types who were never going to cut it at test level.

Martin McCague ftw

Remember Peter McIntyre that played a test when Warne was out once?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back