Obscure Players That You Remember

Remove this Banner Ad

What's Omari Banks up to these days?

That is a deadset cracker.

Interestingly after hearing Mahendra Nagamootoo's name, I looked him up last night. Now I know genetically, even in the small nations your probability of being a test cricketer is minimal so for him to represent the Caribbean shouldn't be understated.

However when you have two uncles who between them hit 160 first class hundreds, 27 in Tests, 11000 runs at 46, probably fair to say you've not made the most of your genes when you only play a handful of tests and don't particularly impose yourself.

Marvin Atapattu. Really good player. Just love his name. Cracking name.

Definitely not an obscure player though.

Marvan definitely shouldn't be anywhere near this thread. Played 90 Tests (16 centuries, 17 centuries) and 268 ODIs (11 centuries, 59 fifties) in a 17-year international career. One of Sri Lanka's greatest players.

Gurinder Sandhu is on the way to featuring in this thread.

I feel like he lost his way a bit when he started experimenting with bowling spin. Not sure whose idea it was, but it was a bit random and unnecessary for a 6'4" pace bowler to be doing that.

Still fairly young (same age as Pat Cummins), so has plenty of time to get it right, but like Cummins, needs to get FC games into him to develop further.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marvan definitely shouldn't be anywhere near this thread. Played 90 Tests (16 centuries, 17 centuries) and 268 ODIs (11 centuries, 59 fifties) in a 17-year international career. One of Sri Lanka's greatest players.
Not at all. Was a very good player. Just a name I wanted to throw out there :p

Not at all. Was a very good player. Just a name I wanted to throw out there :p

Kaluwitharana and Gurusinha are great players for SL that are forgotten.

Kaluwitharana and Gurusinha are great players for SL that are forgotten.

Funnily enough Kalu is sort of revered for what he did in the ODI game - and to a degree it's fair enough because aside from Mark Greatbatch, no one had ever really been as aggressive as he was in the early overs in the 95-96 tri series, but his overall career in the short format didn't really match his talent.

He actually finished with quite a decent test record though and I think possibly scored a ton on debut against Australia in 92-93, the same series where Warne began to make a name for himself.

The Guru was a really solid cricketer. made a boxing day test 150 after getting smashed in the seeds.
Along with Aravinda and Arjuna Ranatunga he probably gave them their first real spine in the top order.

Any South Africa off spinner belongs in this thread, like the nothing all-rounders England use to produce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earl Spalding. A lot of people may not know or remember he played first class cricket for W.A. Took 4/37 in the second innings of his first game (including the late David Hookes caught behind) to lead W.A to a 21 run outright win.

In his second game W.A were chasing an outright win and he was #11. W.A looked home but lost their 7th and 8th wickets 6 runs shy. They got home by two wickets and he wasn't required. As an out and bunny, I know from talking to him years ago he was more nervous sitting with his pads on that day than in most situations on a football field.

Was he the 38-odd year old wicketkeeper? I remember Mark Nicholas banging on endlessly about "they call him The Badger because he's mad for it". He repeated this about fifty times as if it was some deep pearl of wisdom or cracking joke, without ever explaining it.

Are badgers "mad for it"? What are they "mad" for? What does that have to do with Paul Nixon? Maybe I'm missing something here, but I never got it.

Badgers are mad for Flash Gordon

No Cummins, No Goings.
Banner in west indies crowd after he got left out in, I think, 1991 against Australia.

They had some crackers during the time after their dominance ended.

Patterson Thompson, Reon King, Vasbert Drakes, Cameron Cuffy, Pedro Collins (who was Fidel Edwards' half brother), Merv Dillon who was probably the lone half decent quick they had between Walsh and maybe Jerome Taylor or Kemar Roach when they were good.
Darren Powell, Franklin Rose. They tried dozens of them. some of the batsmen were equally unmemorable.
Dave Joseph, Sylvester Joseph, Xavier Marshall, Robert Samuels (Marlon's brother), Suruj Ragoonath, Clayton Lambert, Adrian Griffith, Floyd Reifer who captained against Bangladesh when all the main players were locked out.
Nehamiah perry.....

They had some ball tearers
Mahendra Nagamootoo!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back