Obscure Players That You Remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Rofe was a bit better than mediocre. Nearly 200 FC wickets. Tidy-ish FC average of 31 which blew out 3 or 4 runs when his form deserted him. He was no Glenn McGrath - although there were a lot of similarities. He was earmarked as his replacement in the early part of the 2000's but he completely lost it from his mid 20's. In the end it was Stuey Clark who kicked on and took over the role.

Ben Cutting has basically had the same inexplicable loss of form over the last 4 of 5 years (at about the same age too).

Also worth noting Rofe took those 200 wickets on Adelaide Oval at its flattest.

Obscure WA players - Brett Mulder. 25 games in 15 seasons between 1983 and 1998. Matthew Garnaut. 16 games in the late 90's.

Those two also happened to combine for one of cricket's greatest partnerships. 1998/99 Perth First Grade Grand Final. A game which involved the likes of Mark Lavender, Jo Angel, Simon Katich and Ryan Campbell.

Trail by 130 after an innings each, get the opposition out for 190-odd in the third innings. Set 328 to win in the fourth innings, Mulder joins Garnaut at the crease with the score 9/154. 174 required for the final pair to win the grand final and take home the trophy.... In match where only one team has scored above 200 for their entire innings thus far. And they do it. Garnaut 127* and #11 Mulder 70*. Absolutely incredible. I'd loved to have been there.

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/A...OUTS/B-M_M-D_WA-GRADE-FINAL_02-05APR1999.html
And one of my high school teachers/junior coaches Jamie Snadden. Still remember the very first ball I bowled to him in the nets in under 14s - straight through him and bowled. Good bloke, always very popular among the students.

Ashley Nofke

Once earmarked a future international cricketer early in his 20's, even snuck in for a small handful of short form international games.

Forged out a very good FC record with over 3500 runs at a touch under 27 whilst 380 - odd wickets at under 30 is impressive considering the talent around the shield arena at the time.

AKA Drazic from 'Heartbreak High'

030981.1.jpg

Such a mid-'90s look to him. You just know he was rocking out at a Jebediah gig in Northbridge circa 1997.

Different unit this guy. Alan Border was a huge wrap for him back in the day but like all spinners was a bit loopy upstairs. Loopy is a bit harsh just was on another wavelength to everyone else

Don't know if this guy has been raised, but my childhood favourite David Sincock. He was a left arm chinaman bowler who could spin the ball like nobody I've ever seen. Exciting to watch, played 3 Tests with little results, moved from SA to NSW in the mid-60s but couldn't force his way into the NSW state team as they had abundant stocks of spinners. I loved watching him bowl.

I used to wonder if England were trying to prove they were multicultural with some of their selections from the 1990s and 2000s.

Mark Ramprakash (who it turns out dominated FC cricket), Ronnie Irani, Owais Shah, Saj Mahmood, Ravi Bopara..

Turns out they were just s**t. They worked out eventually it was just easier to select players from other countries.

I mean these players weren't obscure. Ramps had a stellar FC career, Irani was just famous for Essex, Shah played T20 leagues around the world, Bopara still plays and played recently for England.

I guess Sajid Mahmood would be obscure to me if he wasn't so s**t in the Ashes.

Don't know if this guy has been raised, but my childhood favourite David Sincock. He was a left arm chinaman bowler who could spin the ball like nobody I've ever seen. Exciting to watch, played 3 Tests with little results, moved from SA to NSW in the mid-60s but couldn't force his way into the NSW state team as they had abundant stocks of spinners. I loved watching him bowl.

Ah, good old EvilDick.

I mean these players weren't obscure. Ramps had a stellar FC career, Irani was just famous for Essex, Shah played T20 leagues around the world, Bopara still plays and played recently for England.

I guess Sajid Mahmood would be obscure to me if he wasn't so s**t in the Ashes.
I was working a pub in Clapham North, on the Brixton border when Ramps had that great series against the West Indies, and day time we'd get the Yardies, and Rastas in to watch the Test. Those guys knew their cricket, and Ramprakash was such a lovely batsman to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was an extremely fast young Pakistani bowler whose name I'm trying to think of. He toured here as a youngster for a one day series. I remember him bowling an over to Brian Lara that was so quick that most balls were through Lara before he got his bat down. I assume the bowler had injury issues as he subsequently disappeared off the scene.

There was an extremely fast young Pakistani bowler whose name I'm trying to think of. He toured here as a youngster for a one day series. I remember him bowling an over to Brian Lara that was so quick that most balls were through Lara before he got his bat down. I assume the bowler had injury issues as he subsequently disappeared off the scene.

Mohammad Zahid

I remember WA Shield players from the 1990s and early 2000s.

Kade Harvey, Mark Lavender, Scott Meuleman, Murray Goodwin...

I also remember Tasmania used to collect cricketers with funny surnames. Clingeleffer, Kremerskothen etc.

I enjoy going full Wikipedia on cricinfo and finding old scorecards. How's this one from 1994/5?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/325389.html

Bad luck if you played in that game and didn't get a test cap.

Not sure Murray Goodwin qualifies as obscure. Plundered runs for Sussex as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tatenda is on the selection panel of something for Zimbabwe now.

A role he is performing from Lancashire

Hardly obscure. He was a pretty good test cricketer.

Could in theory still be playing if he wanted to, as he's only 33 years old. Hasn't played an international match (or cricket of any kind, in fact) in 4 years though, and had a 5 year gap from mid-2006 to mid-2011 where he didn't play as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back