Obscure Players That You Remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Was looking through South Africa's list of leading test wicket takers and stumbled across the raging bull that was Monantie Hayward. A tearaway quick who should have had more success than he did due to a crap attitude.

Remember he came to Australia with big wraps on him but we sent him packing with his tail between his legs after only a couple of tests. Was genuinely quick though (mid 140's iirc)
Ended up playing County cricket for Worcester. Was a bit religious and refused to take the field one day unless team mates took down the couple of pictures of the scantily clad females from the changerooms. True story

Oooh, good triva. One-Test Wonders :D

Notable examples
As of October 2019, there have been 447 players who have only played one Test match.[7][8] Some of the best performances by these players are:
About one in eight Test cricketers are only picked once.[1] Occasionally, one-Test wonders have been recalled to Test cricket after a gap of several years. One example was Ryan Sidebottom, who was recalled for his second Test in 2007 after his debut in 2001.[19] Coincidentally his father, Arnie Sidebottom, was a one-Test wonder.[20]

Darren Pattinson is an unusual one-Test wonder in that he played a single Test for England, while his brother James Pattinson had a more successful Test career with Australia.

As of May 2007, fourteen one-Test wonders have also played in a single One Day International for their team.
[16]
Ganteaume may have the highest batting average of all time, but Stuart Law averages infinity!

People think guys like Geoff Marsh were better cricketers than they really were. That guy averaged 33 over his 50 largely unearned Tests. 4 tons in 50 matches opening the batting, FFS. It's guys like that who exposed proper cricketers like David Boon, Dean Jones and Allan Border to rebuilding jobs time and time again.

Does anyone remember Geoff Marsh as a test great? I barely remember him at all but to be fair to him he did occupy the crease a lot. He just didn't score. Averaged 87 balls at the crease per innings which is 20+ more than Warner or Joe Burns. We would've killed for that in the 2019 Ashes. He was a good one day batsman who averaged 40 from 117 matches but if he was younger he wouldn't have lasted beyond the early 90s anyway given his strike rate. I mostly remember him as being the coach during the 99 World Cup and for fathering sons that are excellent at limited overs cricket that keep getting picked in test sides.

Does anyone remember Geoff Marsh as a test great? I barely remember him at all but to be fair to him he did occupy the crease a lot. He just didn't score. Averaged 87 balls at the crease per innings which is 20+ more than Warner or Joe Burns. We would've killed for that in the 2019 Ashes. He was a good one day batsman who averaged 40 from 117 matches but if he was younger he wouldn't have lasted beyond the early 90s anyway given his strike rate. I mostly remember him as being the coach during the 99 World Cup and for fathering sons that are excellent at limited overs cricket that keep getting picked in test sides.
I remember nearly falling asleep watching Marsh and Boon scratch their way to 0/29 off 10 over in ODIs, hoping they'd get out so Dean Jones and Simon O,Donnell would come in.

Batted all day with Taylor in 1989 at Trent Bridge.

I remember nearly falling asleep watching Marsh and Boon scratch their way to 0/29 off 10 over in ODIs, hoping they'd get out so Dean Jones and Simon O,Donnell would come in.

Sounds about right. Used to bore me shitless with the mid 90s opening combos of Taylor/Slater etc. until they landed on Gilly and Mark Waugh and then you could get excited from ball 1 and passing 200 wasn't a big deal.

People think guys like Geoff Marsh were better cricketers than they really were. That guy averaged 33 over his 50 largely unearned Tests. 4 tons in 50 matches opening the batting, FFS. It's guys like that who exposed proper cricketers like David Boon, Dean Jones and Allan Border to rebuilding jobs time and time again.
See, that's not true in the slightest - in fact it is the reverse of what happened.

Marsh may have averaged 33, but he did it at a strike rate of about 35 meaning he faced on average about 94 balls per dismissal. That is immense for an opener - for comparison Alistair Cook averaged 96 balls, whilst Warner averages a mere 67. Assuming roughly equally shared strike that means Marsh averaged about 31 overs in the middle, or more than a full session.

That durability and reliability is precisely why Marsh played so many Tests. Marsh didn't create collapses - he prevented them. His ability to regularly see off the new ball and protect a fragile middle order from fresh opposition bowlers was an absolute godsend.

A few more runs would have been nice, but he was worth far more than his average. He was a genuine old-school Test opener, which was exactly what we needed at the time.

Ended up playing County cricket for Worcester. Was a bit religious and refused to take the field one day unless team mates took down the couple of pictures of the scantily clad females from the changerooms. True story
When in the mood he could bowl rapid , bit of an issue with the radar though.
Then as likely to come on next spell and be very medium . Heard his teamates used to get quite frustrated with him .

Why didn't Anthony Stuart play more at any level?

3 ODIs, 8 wickets @ 13.6 including a hat trick. Small sample size obviously. 27 List A games, 45 wickets @ 23 with a strike rate of 32. Did OK in the Shield also, 26 matches 70 wickets @ 31.
I looked this up a while ago. It was the last three games of the tri-series, and our next ODIs were three months later and he didn't make the tour. Form dropped away pretty quickly and was done at FC level within two years, I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I looked this up a while ago. It was the last three games of the tri-series, and our next ODIs were three months later and he didn't make the tour. Form dropped away pretty quickly and was done at FC level within two years, I think.
Yep , got injured too then was very quickly over taken by all the younger NSW pace bowlers at the time .

Literally got his 15 minutes of fame at the g that

Marsh was no world beater but his record was fine for the time, and we are entering an era where similar sorts of players will prove very valuable.

There were a lot of good attacks around in Marsh’s time and there are now.

England are in the very early stages of it but they seem to be building towards a side where an average of 35 will be very valuable given the roll players in their side and what they hope turns out to be a good bowling attack

The name Ryan Duffield suddenly popped into my mind last week.
For a time, the one school first XI had M Marsh-Cartwright-Duffield as well as several prominent current grade cricketers in Perth.

Needless to say we didn't lose the cup for a couple of years.

Faced one ball from Duffield in the nets and it was more than enough. Fast and lifting, and he did pretty well in FC cricket overall.

For a time, the one school first XI had M Marsh-Cartwright-Duffield as well as several prominent current grade cricketers in Perth.

Needless to say we didn't lose the cup for a couple of years.

Faced one ball from Duffield in the nets and it was more than enough. Fast and lifting, and he did pretty well in FC cricket overall.
I was a bit too young to get the chance to play against Blewett at high school but I played with a lot of guys who did and they all said he was so far ahead of anyone else it was silly.

The Greatest Season that was Podcast is doing a series for the 25th anniversary of the Australia A series - Greg Rowell is interviewed in episode 2, I’m sure his name has popped up in this thread a couple of times

You’d swear blind every test team in history has had batsmen averaging 40+ from 1-6

Even the West Indies didn’t.

Fair enough, but they weren't far off:

Haynes - 42.3
Greenidge - 44.7
Richardson - 44.4
Richards - 50.2
Lloyd - 46.7

And then it was guys like Logie (35.8) and Gomes 39.6 who batted at 6.

Our side, circa 2000 looked something like this :

Hayden - 50.7
Langer - 45.3
Ponting - 51.9
M Waugh - 41.8
S Waugh - 51.1
Hussey - 51.5
Gilchrist - 47.6

Two unwordly teams, to be sure but to say that guys like Geoff Marsh and Dirk Wellham were Test standard cricketers is not correct. Geoff Marsh had a first class average of under 40 yet opened the batting in 50 Tests for Australia. I get that he batted time but he couldn't hit the ball off the square, even on a good day. They were dark times indeed.

Haynes - 42.3
Greenidge - 44.7
Richardson - 44.4
Richards - 50.2
Lloyd - 46.7

Hayden - 50.7
Langer - 45.3
Ponting - 51.9
M Waugh - 41.8
S Waugh - 51.1
Hussey - 51.5
Gilchrist - 47.6

Two unwordly teams, to be sure but to say that guys like Geoff Marsh and Dirk Wellham were Test standard cricketers is not correct. Geoff Marsh had a first class average of under 40 yet opened the batting in 50 Tests for Australia. I get that he batted time but he couldn't hit the ball off the square, even on a good day. They were dark times indeed.
Hussey never played with either Waugh. Add Clarke and Martyn

Haynes - 42.3
Greenidge - 44.7
Richardson - 44.4
Richards - 50.2
Lloyd - 46.7

Hayden - 50.7
Langer - 45.3
Ponting - 51.9
M Waugh - 41.8
S Waugh - 51.1
Hussey - 51.5
Gilchrist - 47.6

Define "test standard". Because I'm sure we all have different definitions of it.

And bear in mind that if your country doesn't have enough "test standard" players, you can't go out there with half a side. My point from a few pages ago about giving some of these guys a leave pass is that while they wouldn't have played in better teams, they were the best we had at the time, and ultimately, that's all you need to be to get a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back