Obscure Players That You Remember

Was flicking through some old ODI scorecards from the mid-2000s this morning and came across a name I hadn't seen in years - Garnett Kruger.

Does anybody else remember this tall, bald, hulking guy? Did absolutely nothing from memory and could possibly have been one of the Saffa's worst players of all time.

Also Johan van der Wath, who was supposedly the next big all rounder. Never really got off the ground that one!

Are there any obscure cricketers that you remember? Would love to hear their names and stories!

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Along similar lines, I remember Loots Bosman playing a number of games for the proteas and wondering what the fuss was about- he was awful.

The other one I remember was Daniel Flynn for NZ. Got so many chances when he never looked like making it at international level.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Roger Telemachus. Was actually good, but was around during the Pollock, Ntini, Nel times.

Shabbir Ahmed, one of the biggest chuckers I've seen, even in Pakistan standards.

I have plenty more that'll post as the thread keeps going.

Along similar lines, I remember Loots Bosman playing a number of games for the proteas and wondering what the fuss was about- he was awful.
South Africa loved their obscure players! Zondecki I would include, though to be fair he ended with a Test bowling average of 25!

DT_fanatic

Premiership Player
Mar 14, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Chris Nevin, recall him keeping and opening he batting for NZ in some of the Sharjah ODIs. Liked the way he went about it but don't think he was consistent enough.

Another Kiwi I recall from those times - Brooke Walker, a leggie. Remember him getting tonked around by Afridi in another Sharjah ODI.

Here's Kruger, for the record. A guy who would definitely give you nightmares.

garnettkruger1.jpg

DT_fanatic

Premiership Player
Mar 14, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
How obscure are some of the Zimbo blokes like Gavin Ewing and Neil Johnson and Trevor Gripper?

Not that obscure but I was surprised to recently hear that Mohammad Sami is still playing

Neil Johnson was a gun, opened the batting and bowling for them when they were more than half decent.

Not sure how obscure Travis Friend is, used to bat #11 until they realized he could bat. Ended up being a lower order slogger and was used as a pinch hitter (remember when that used to be a tactic?) as well.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Neil Johnson was a gun, opened the batting and bowling for them when they were more than half decent.

Not sure how obscure Travis Friend is, used to bat #11 until they realized he could bat. Ended up being a lower order slogger and was used as a pinch hitter (remember when that used to be a tactic?) as well.

Man I miss Zimbabwe having a competitive team.

They still produce the talent to be alright - Ballance, Jarvis and Taylor would really improve their current team.

DT_fanatic

Premiership Player
Mar 14, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was flicking through some old ODI scorecards from the mid-2000s this morning and came across a name I hadn't seen in years - Garnett Kruger.

Does anybody else remember this tall, bald, hulking guy? Did absolutely nothing from memory and could possibly have been one of the Saffa's worst players of all time.

Also Johan van der Wath, who was supposedly the next big all rounder. Never really got off the ground that one!

Are there any obscure cricketers that you remember? Would love to hear their names and stories!

Van der Wath played in that 438 ODI didn't he? Remember thinking they overestimated his ability with the bat at least but if I'm not wrong played a useful cameo in that chase.

Mornantau Hayward is another one that's sprung to mind, again not sure how obscure he is. Played a lot less than I thought he did. His bowling action wasn't easy to replicate I will say that...

I remember a couple of openers for NZ recently by the names of Peter Fulton & Tim McIntosh. Two of the most boring opening batsmen you'd ever watch (worse SR than Alastair Cook), I think they ended up averaging around 25 by the end of their careers which is pretty ordinary for an opener.
Pushing it for obscure with those two I reckon, both had a fair amount of games in the end. More than they deserved, I agree with you there!

Always had a soft spot for 2m Peter.

Tyberious Funk

Premiership Player
May 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
I remember a couple of openers for NZ recently by the names of Peter Fulton & Tim McIntosh. Two of the most boring opening batsmen you'd ever watch (worse SR than Alastair Cook), I think they ended up averaging around 25 by the end of their careers which is pretty ordinary for an opener.

IIRC, Fulton was a decent player at domestic level, but couldn't make the step up.

Talking of obscure NZ openers, what about Hamish Marshall, who opened with Fulton a few times? He was a vaguely decent player. His twin brother James, though, was complete trash -- no idea how he got games.

IIRC, Fulton was a decent player at domestic level, but couldn't make the step up.

Talking of obscure NZ openers, what about Hamish Marshall, who opened with Fulton a few times? He was a vaguely decent player. His twin brother James, though, was complete trash -- no idea how he got games.
Hamish still goes around the County circuit, I think.

swans95

All Australian
May 13, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Hornets, Rangers, Mets, Scorchers
Paul Hitchcock, NZ bowler. Played 13 ODIs between '02 and '03, then was brought back five years later to play a T20 and an ODI against England. Pretty wippy bowling action, got smashed around though.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Aaron Redmond. Unimpressive NZ leg-spinner who turned himself into an unimpressive opening batsman.

Mathew Sinclair. The Mark Ramprakash of NZ cricket.

Dinesh Mongia. One of those millions of Indian batsmen with a great FC record that never get a Test run.

I wouldn't consider Sinclair obscure.

Back