Obscure Players That You Remember

Aug 14, 2005
NoR
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
lakers, nufc, subi, colts
Azhar got 106 in Adelaide in 1991 which was a lovely innings but he scored 192 runs @21 for the series.
David Boon in the 86/87 ashes wouldve had similar numbers with a ton in adelaide too. Bounced back a year later in the Bicentennial Test and never looked back

MJG14

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team
Solid thread bump I know, but I love this thread. Apologies if some of these nominations aren't obscure enough:

Michael Yardy - English orthodox bowler I remember from the 2011 ODI and T20 series V Australia. Had a weird batting technique from memory.

Steven Davies - Short-lived English wicketkeeper who played in the same series.

Sewnarine Chattergoon - Extremely mediocre West Indian opener.

Reece Young - New Zealand wicketkeeper who had a poor series in Australia in 2011.

Alex Wharf - Bowler who played for England, now an international umpire.

Also, whatever happened to James Muirhead? Was touted as the next spin prospect after a solid spell in a T20 International a few years ago.

Last edited:
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Solid thread bump I know, but I love this thread. Apologies if some of these nominations aren't obscure enough:

Michael Yardy - English orthodox bowler I remember from the 2011 ODI and T20 series V Australia. Had a weird batting technique from memory.

Reece Young - New Zealand wicketkeeper who had a poor series in Australia in 2011.

Also, whatever happened to James Muirhead? Was touted as the next spin prospect after a solid spell in a T20 International a few years ago.
Mate I can go all night on WI no names but Chattergoon is a good one

Suruj Ragoonath, Dave Joseph, Lincoln Roberts, Marlon Black, Philo Wallace, Reon King ftw

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Has stuggled with injury a bit, and lost his Victoria contract this year.
Yesterday Victoria confirmed Muirhead had lost his state contract for 2018-19.

It followed a season in which he played a curious mixture of Futures League, Big Bash and club Second XI cricket.

His two Big Bash League appearances came for Perth Scorchers. When the tournament was over he returned to St Kilda and was selected in the seconds to play a two-day match at Dandenong. Muirfield cracked 104 not out on the Saturday, hitting the ball cleanly and a long way, but the following day his leggies presented few problems to the Panthers. He finished with 0-40 off 10 overs.

A quad injury sustained at a Victorian training session followed and kept Muirhead out of cricket for a month. He finished his season in the St Kilda Second XI premiership team, making 32 and taking 1-41 off 13 overs.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader...k=aa2099b9eac8093e6c427e0d7b05a224-1546086800

Aug 14, 2005
NoR
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
lakers, nufc, subi, colts

Steven Davies was the first International cricketer to come out as homosexual. Didn't play much for England after that and not sure he played much county cricket after either

MCG-Unit

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2003
Gore
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Geelong West, Townsville
Murray Goodwin (not really obscure)
Shaun Graf
Klingleffer
Paul Rofe

Caught Klingleffer, bowled Kremerskothen

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Mate I can go all night on WI no names but Chattergoon is a good one

Suruj Ragoonath, Dave Joseph, Lincoln Roberts, Marlon Black, Philo Wallace, Reon King ftw
In the 4th test of the 1999 series in the West Indies , Dave Joseph from memory scored 4 out of a century plus partnership with Brian Lara. Was Lara’s 3rd hundred in a row. Absolutely smashed us but we won the test. The test also that steve Waugh dropped Shane Warne.

Blair Campbell.

Chinaman bowler who played for Victoria and then Tassie in its early Shield years.

Also played VFL for Richmond and Melbourne.

I've just bought a copy of Against All Odds about the Victorian Shield win of 66/67 that I reckon you'd love. There's still a few copies left last time I looked on Ken Piesse's site.

In the 4th test of the 1999 series in the West Indies , Dave Joseph from memory scored 4 out of a century plus partnership with Brian Lara. Was Lara’s 3rd hundred in a row. Absolutely smashed us but we won the test. The test also that steve Waugh dropped Shane Warne.
There was a West Indian mystery spinner called Harold Joseph who was picked to tour here in 1981/82 on the back of confusing the English team the previous summer but he barely played a game all tour which was no shame, Holding, Croft, Roberts and Garner made up their attack and he faded into obscurity soon afterward.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Roland Butcher, first black man to play for England. Born in Barbados he made his Test debut in Bridgetown in 1981 and one of the local paper's headline read Our Boy Their Bat.
Our first black Test cricketer Sam Morris played one Test in 1885. Played as a scab when the first XI boycotted the side over gate money.

Back