Obscure Players That You Remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Mal Loye the idiot that tried that slog sweep on McGrath.
Only had one shot!
You can add Jamie Dalrymple, Vikram Solanki, Jon Lewis, Paul Nixon (old wicketkeeper).
How England won that tri series still remains one of life's great mysteries.

Vinod Kambli mostly as an underwhelming ODI player, but he had a interesting test career. In his first 8 innings he had an insane run where he scored 224,227,125, & 120 as a 21 year old. Only went past 50 twice in 13 innings after that, and played his last test match at the age of 23. Despite finishing up early, he still holds the record for the highest test average for an Indian test batsman (min qualification 20 innings). My favourite thing about him that at one point, he'd have 9 grips on his handle :eek:

Vinod Kambli mostly as an underwhelming ODI player, but he had a interesting test career. In his first 8 innings he had an insane run where he scored 224,227,125, & 120 as a 21 year old. Only went past 50 twice in 13 innings after that, and played his last test match at the age of 23. Despite finishing up early, he still holds the record for the highest test average for an Indian test batsman (min qualification 20 innings). My favourite thing about him that at one point, he'd have 9 grips on his handle :eek:

I reckon I’ve read his cricinfo profile about a dozen times and I never get sick of reading the bit about his obsession with bat grips!

Alan Turner

Royally stuffed Tommo's shoulder in 1976 v Pakistan when they collided after both going for the same catch.

cl_Jeff-thompson.jpg

Tommo was never really the same after that.

Certainly not as scary

Last edited:
Jim Maxwell peeled off his 5 favourite tests out of the 300 he’s covered on the ABC today.

Number 5 was the world record run chase at Antigua in 2003.
He mentioned the gloriously named Vasbert Drakes and obscure off spinner Omari Banks. Made my day.
There are several highlights packages of that chase on the YouTube machine; some of them up to 40 minutes long.

Incredible to think that Lara was out with over 250 runs still to get; and they got them!

Probably not obscure, but 'member Chris Matthews? Poor bugger
Quality bowler who lost the radar on both chances at Test level.
Apparently no relation to Christina Matthews, former wicketkeeper.

F*** Mugabe, the Zims started putting together a tasty little side for a while there until he f***ed the joint up.
Even I reckon Mugabe's impact on the Test side was among the least of his crimes. But, yeah, they were just starting to get competitive against the lesser teams (such as England at that time) and cricket all went pear-shaped. (The nation had been going that way for a while.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steven Davies was the first International cricketer to come out as homosexual. Didn't play much for England after that and not sure he played much county cricket after either
Just looking at his profile now and it makes you wonder why he never played for England again. First Class average of 40 with 23 hundreds. Didn't disgrace himself in a handful of ODI's he played in that 2011 series before the world cup. 32 years old as well so time is still on his side.

Heath Streak is not obscure.

He was a damn good player.

Averaged 22 with the bat and took 216 wickets at 28 in tests.

Averaged 28 with the bat and took 239 wickets at 29 in one dayers.
Heath Streak is one of the best modern cricketers that Zimbabwe has produced for sure. Probably not deserving of being mentioned in an obscure thread!

Agree, gun player. Just not someone who’s ever mentioned I guess

Only had one shot!
You can add Jamie Dalrymple, Vikram Solanki, Jon Lewis, Paul Nixon (old wicketkeeper).
How England won that tri series still remains one of life's great mysteries.
From memory, they played like shite all series and then snuck a close win against NZ. Then Liam Plunkett started swinging the ball like Akram and Paul Collingwood turned into Ricky Ponting.

Allan Wise another. Wasn't that bad a bowler, just unlucky he was playing in the era of Lewis/Harwood/McDonald/Moss (who were all rounders but meant that we didn't need to play him much).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back