Obscure Players That You Remember

Talat Ali.

Made his debut for Pakistan in the first test of 72/73 in Adelaide.

Broke his thumb opening the batting in the first innings. then came out at no 11 in the second innings, literally holding the bat by one hand when batting.

Adelaide Hawk, you'd remember this?

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Talat Ali.

Made his debut for Pakistan in the first test of 72/73 in Adelaide.

Broke his thumb opening the batting in the first innings. then came out at no 11 in the second innings, literally holding the bat by one hand when batting.

Adelaide Hawk, you'd remember this?

I sure do, was at the game. Ashley Mallett opening the bowling in the 2nd innings and taking 8 wickets. Also Ian Chappell made his highest Test score of 196. Marsh made a ton as well and I THINK that made him the first Australian wicketkeeper to make a Test 100, not so sure about that one.

Jan 17, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I haven't read through all these pages but here's a few:

Joe Scuderi (SA), John Saint (Tas? I think), Brad Oldroyd (WA), Matthew Garnaut (WA), Scott/Simon Presstwidge? (QLD?)

Anyone remember them? I remember their names but not much about their performances as I was young at the time.

I sure do, was at the game. Ashley Mallett opening the bowling in the 2nd innings and taking 8 wickets. Also Ian Chappell made his highest Test score of 196. Marsh made 100 as well and I THINK that made his the first Australian wicketkeeper to make a Test 100, not so sure about that one.
I suspected you may have been there. :p

I remember Chappell was out caught behind pretty early in his innings and given not out. The Pakistanis were less than happy to say the least.

Yes, Marsh's was the first hundred by an Aussie keeper, ever. He scored one the next season (also at Adelaide I think?) against New Zealand as well and then of course the one in the Centenary Test.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I haven't read through all these pages but here's a few:

Joe Scuderi (SA), John Saint (Tas? I think), Brad Oldroyd (WA), Matthew Garnaut (WA), Scott/Simon Presstwidge? (QLD?)

Anyone remember them? I remember their names but not much about their performances as I was young at the time.

Remember literally all of them.
It was Scott by the way.

Scuderi was actually very briefly in the conversation for a test spot at one point around 1990-ish

Scuderi was actually very briefly in the conversation for a test spot at one point around 1990-ish

I can go even more obscure: his last matches were captaining Italy in WCL Division 4 in 2008. Italy nearly made it into Div 3 by finishing top 2, but fell at the final hurdle by losing to Afghanistan, who had the two leading wicket-takers in the tournament: Hamid Hassan and Mohammad Nabi

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
I suspected you may have been there. :p

I remember Chappell was out caught behind pretty early in his innings and given not out. The Pakistanis were less than happy to say the least.

Yes, Marsh's was the first hundred by an Aussie keeper, ever. He scored one the next season (also at Adelaide I think?) against New Zealand as well and then of course the one in the Centenary Test.

That's right, I'd forgotten that one. Marsh did in fact make a ton in the Test against New Zealand. That was the Test Bevan Congdon came in complaining about the luck Australia had with rain washing out the Sydney Test. As the Adelaide Test progressed, Congdon said he was hoping for rain :)

I can't recall the Chappell not out decision, selective memory I guess, but I do recall Chappell being caught on the boundary on 196. He made 196 but people still criticised him for playing the hook shot :) Australia were already well in the lead and Chappell was trying to make as many runs as quickly as possible. The end of Australia's innings was entertaining as everyone went for it, Marsh hitting several 6s over the Richardson gates, even Lillee got into the act.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I can go even more obscure: his last matches were captaining Italy in WCL Division 4 in 2008. Italy nearly made it into Div 3 by finishing top 2, but fell at the final hurdle by losing to Afghanistan, who had the two leading wicket-takers in the tournament: Hamid Hassan and Mohammad Nabi
I think Di Venuto finished up by playing for Italy as well.

MJG14

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team
Some more.

Matthew Bell - Mediocre New Zealand opener from the early and mid 2000s.

Dougie Marillier - Zimbawean credited as the inventor of the 'ramp' shot. A soild finisher down the order.

Jane Doe

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ken Macleay is one from the 80s. Very solid player for WA in their great era of the early to mid 80s. Played some one dayers for Australia. Got a 6 for in a match v India in the 1983 World Cup

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Just looking at his profile now and it makes you wonder why he never played for England again. First Class average of 40 with 23 hundreds. Didn't disgrace himself in a handful of ODI's he played in that 2011 series before the world cup. 32 years old as well so time is still on his side.

Considering England played 3 keepers in their last match, I'm not sure they really need another one.

Sproj

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Who was the guy who played for Aus simply because he was at the ground a few years back? Pommersbach?

Was it Simmons who played for WI and maybe Zimbabwe as well?

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Who was the guy who played for Aus simply because he was at the ground a few years back? Pommersbach?

Was it Simmons who played for WI and maybe Zimbabwe as well?
Luke Pomersbach, was in a T20I. If I remember correctly he retired from domestic cricket due to mental health concerns, then got himself in some very hot water over in India during an IPL stint:
TROUBLED former Australian cricketer Luke Pomersbach is facing assault and molestation charges arising from an incident at an after match party for IPL players last night.
Indian police said today they had arrested Pomersbach for allegedly molesting a woman and beating up her fiance at a posh New Delhi hotel.

The 27-year-old batsman, who has one international cap for Australia, is signed up in the Indian Premier League for the Royal Challengers Bangalore team, which took on the Delhi Daredevils last night.
Pomersbach was driving to the ground to watch the game when he got a call asking him to come to the dressing rooms and prepare to play as Brad Hodge had injured his back.

He was indefinitely suspended by WA for an extended drinking session that summer.

He narrowly escaped a jail sentence in August 2009 when he was charged with assaulting a police officer who was trying to arrest him for drink driving.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...k=aa2099b9eac8093e6c427e0d7b05a224-1546410159

Luke Pomersbach, was in a T20I. If I remember correctly he retired from domestic cricket due to mental health concerns, then got himself in some very hot water over in India during an IPL stint:

Other way around. Had off-field troubles, eventually left WA, got into the IPL, did well, probably got caught up in an elaborate sting in India, got cleaned up, retired from domestic cricket.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other way around. Had off-field troubles, eventually left WA, got into the IPL, did well, probably got caught up in an elaborate sting in India, got cleaned up, retired from domestic cricket.
Ah, I must have read about him retiring first and then came across the article about the IPL. Looking it up now it seems like he did get the situation in India sorted out, came to Qld in 2012 and played for two years before retiring.

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
Jim Maxwell peeled off his 5 favourite tests out of the 300 he’s covered on the ABC today.

Number 5 was the world record run chase at Antigua in 2003.
He mentioned the gloriously named Vasbert Drakes and obscure off spinner Omari Banks. Made my day.
Larry Gomes, I have one of his teeth I souvenired from the G

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
Delving into the depths of my mind that was courtesy of a Ratnayake, can't remember which one.
pretty good spray oil on his indian afro, or one of his parents was from african stock, (*caribbean indian lineage, pls correct if i'm wrong)

1546473455443.png

Back