Obscure Players That You Remember

R Chee Manning

Marlo Snellman
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Richard Reid. Think he wore prescription sunnies while opening (poorly) at the 92 World Cup?

Edit: it was the year before against england and Australia in the World Series Cup

I don't remember many who wore glasses...

Big Clive of course... and Dirk Wellham... Sadly I don't remember Richard Reid.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't remember many who wore glasses...

Big Clive of course... and Dirk Wellham... Sadly I don't remember Richard Reid.

It was brief and unspectacular

0079CAB8-98B9-45F9-9725-FC1BA8E5E47F.jpeg

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Matthew Nicholson.

matthew-nicholson-0350ef96-ee0f-403d-ad13-a625d44c262-resize-750.jpeg

Played for NSW and WA, got one test cap back in 1998.

He was quick but he was an arrogant f***head, ran into him once in a pub in Perth and I said "Hey Nicho" and he ignored me.

Then I said "You got one test cap you dickhead, you're not Glenn McGrath" and he ignored me again.
Wait, who are we saying is the dickhead in this story?

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco

Interceptor

All Australian
Aug 20, 2009
London, UK
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Richard Stobo

Played a handful of Shield matches for NSW in the late 80s/early 90s as a medium-fast bowler.
Back then Nine Adelaide used to televise matches.
Memorable for Ashley Mallett's critical commentary saying something like "surely they [NSW] could have found someone better than this bloke".

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Richard Stobo

Played a handful of Shield matches for NSW in the late 80s/early 90s as a medium-fast bowler.
Back then Nine Adelaide used to televise matches.
Memorable for Ashley Mallett's critical commentary saying something like "surely they [NSW] could have found someone better than this bloke".
His son Charlie has played a couple of games for NSW recently.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers

the universal

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maybe not an obscure player, but my all time favourite cricketer is Thilan Samaraweera. Really loved watching him at the crease and a very smart cricketer.

I'd certainly count him as pretty obscure for a cricketer with 14 centuries and a 48 batting average - and who only played his last Test 8 years ago. Just doesn't get mentioned very much at all.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
I'd certainly count him as pretty obscure for a cricketer with 14 centuries and a 48 batting average - and who only played his last Test 8 years ago. Just doesn't get mentioned very much at all.
His average was up around 55 after about 50 or 60 tests as well. He performed terribly against Australia, so that contributed to his anonymity in these parts.

Obviously overshadowed by Sangakarra and Jayawardene, but there was a period there were he was every bit as good as them.

He is lucky to be alive after the attack on Sri Lanka's team bus.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Maybe not an obscure player, but my all time favourite cricketer is Thilan Samaraweera. Really loved watching him at the crease and a very smart cricketer.

If I recall correctly, he initially started off in the test side predominantly as a spinner, but over time developed into a very reliable test batsman who could really capitalise with some huge scores. How badly they could use him now (series win in South Africa notwithstanding)!

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Too early for me to remember them, per se, but a couple of good ones from this game, 82-3 WSC - stumbled across it on Twitter.

Currently batting is Trevor Jesty, and next man in is Ian Gould, better known now an umpire.

Incidentally, anyone hazard a guess who is keeping for Australia?

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I was reading an article on the CA site about the A tour to the UK and they were talking about Wade absolutely smoking them in the nets and the person doing the throwdowns was Shane McDermott. He was in the Tassie squad and I think went to SA after but looking at his cricinfo profile he didn't play first XI for either state.

State Rookie Contract 2002-2003

Luke BUTTERWORTH
Brett GEEVES
Ben HILFENHAUS
Shane MCDERMOTT
Tim PAINE

Not a bad year for rookies in Tasmania given usually you would never hear from them again.

Last edited:
May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I was reading an article on the CA site about the A tour to the UK and they were talking about Wade absolutely smoking them in the nets and the person doing the throwdowns was Shane McDermott. He was in the Tassie squad and I think went to SA after but looking at his cricinfo profile he didn't play first XI for either state.

State Rookie Contract 2002-2003

Luke BUTTERWORTH
Brett GEEVES
Ben HILFENHAUS
Shane MCDERMOTT
Tim PAINE

Not a bad year for rookies in Tasmania given usually you would never hear from them again.
Butterworth and McDermott are both coaching at the Redbacks now

Back