Obscure Tennis Players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Robin Vik. Czech who took Hewitt to 5 sets in the first round of the 2006 Australian Open. Another player that came to mind was Daniel Kollerer, probably not that obscure as he was notoriously bad behaved and got banned for life for match fixing, but never broke into the top 50.

Nick Lindhal. Won a wildcard playoff 6 years ago, looked to be the next big thing, then pissed off to Sweden and did nothing with his career. Honourable mention to Jason Kubler, although I think his main issue was injuries.

In terms of Australian women, you've got to go with Sophie Ferguson, Isabella Holland and Jessica Moore.

Honourable mention to Jason Kubler, although I think his main issue was injuries.
He's still around actually. His problem is that his knees can't handle hard courts; he plays mostly Challenger-level clay court events. He played Wimbledon qualies last year.

Vladimir Voltchkov. Made the semi final of Wimbledon as a qualifier in 2000 as a 22 year old before losing to Sampras. Couldn't make it past the 2nd at the other slams and never really reached any heights aside from a DC SF in 2004.

Rainer Schuettler, Karol Kucera
Miloslav mecir

All former top 10 players, not sure if that really fits into 'obscure'?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vladimir Voltchkov. Made the semi final of Wimbledon as a qualifier in 2000 as a 22 year old before losing to Sampras. Couldn't make it past the 2nd at the other slams and never really reached any heights aside from a DC SF in 2004.

All former top 10 players, not sure if that really fits into 'obscure'?

Kucera made the second week of a grand slam 4 times from 41 attempts. Hardly a superstar either. Schuettler I just remember being so quickly flung into the spotlight during his AO '03 run eventually falling to Agassi, and then back into relative obscurity until he somehow made the last 4 at Wimby a few years later

Remove this Banner Ad

Back